ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Profile Update

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/19/08 07:10 AM Views: 1328 Replies: 3
Friday, December 19, 2008 at 7:10 AM

A few days ago I entered some names of Classmates on the list. They are Missing Classmates so don't have a Profile as such as they haven't registered.

Today I received an e-mail saying one of them, Dennis Ward, had updated his Profile so, as no one has heard from him for over 40 years I excitedly went into the site to check. He hadn't registered and I haven't clicked on his name since entering it the other day so don't see how I could get notification that his Profile had been updated.

If another Classmate clicked on Dennis's Profile to see if anything was there would this have activated the e-mail I received and would others also receive it too. If that's the case we could really do without it as it gets too many people's hopes up.

Any solutions?
Thanks,
Mark

Friday, December 19, 2008 at 7:18 AM - Response #1

The other names I added are filtering through as well now. What's taking so long for the update notification to arrive/ As I said before it's just creating confusion anyway. Initially, I would have checked the box to enable the names to be shown as a Profile update so I can stop doing that, but it's still a concern that the notification is taking a while to come through.

Mark

Friday, December 19, 2008 at 11:33 AM - Response #2

It sounds like you've already solved your own problem. Yes, if you enter information on behalf of a Classmate and you choose the "consider this change a Profile Update" option, then you really will generate an email to any Classmates who have subscribed to that Profile, and the Classmate's Name will also appear in the Profile Updates box on the home page. The simple solution, as you've pointed out, is don't check that box when you're adding information to the Profile of a non member. Smile

Note, Profile Update emails are not sent immediately. And with good reason. It's because the common process of working on a Profile is to do a few things, save it and check it out, go back in and do a few more things, save it and check it out again, etc. If we sent out an email every single time somebody saved their Profile we'd drive people crazy, as multiple emails in a row would be issued during the process of a Classmate working on their Profile. So our system does periodic scans, and if a Classmate has updated their Profile 10 times in a row or something like that, our system still only sends out 1 Profile Update email to the Classmates who subscribe to the Profile.

By the way, I should point out that Profile Update emails are very different from New Classmate Registration emails. Had this Classmate actually registered with your site, you would have received a New Classmate notification email immediately.

Edited 12/19/08 1:02 PM
Friday, December 19, 2008 at 12:23 PM - Response #3

Can't argue with any of that. Thanks Brad. Must write out 100 times "remember not to check that box until Classmates have registered."

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.