ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Reunion: Manually adding ALL off-line registration/ hiding registration form

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 08/19/18 08:20 PM Views: 4930 Replies: 14
Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 8:20 PM

Hi there,

For our upcoming class reunion in October, we do not use any on-line registration because our class was very large and many are not on this site, because our reunion committee prefers to have all registration done by mail with checks, and because our reunion committee does not want to incur or pass on the processing fees that would be associated with on-line credit card registration.

As the registrations come in to the committee, a list of the names of those who are attending is sent to me to manually add to the site so that the classmates profile page will allow for filtering to those who are attending, and so that we can make nametags for those attending using the ClassCreator nametag template.

Is there a way to manually add registrants and NOT have a registration form display/appear on the reunion page? We do NOT want classmates registering online, and I am afraid that if we display the form, it will become unnecessarily confusing.

I am wondering if there is a way to hide the form for all but the admin, or if there is a way that I can make an event registration page that is visible and active only for the admin, but that no one else can see. That way we won't have to worry about any confusion for our classmates.

Please help!

Thank you!
Lynn Schneider
A.D. Eisenhower Class of 73

Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 11:59 PM - Response #1

I don't know about hiding the registration form for all but the admins, but here's another solution: add a new regular page (Admin Functions, Edit Site Pages, Add New Page), put the registration info on it, but don't make the page active (under Edit Link, don't check the Active box). Admins may see the page by going to Edit Site Pages and clicking on Preview.

Monday, August 20, 2018 at 12:20 AM - Response #2

Thanks Scott,

I thought about that, but the pathways for making the regular page (not using the event planner) won't link to the filter to display who is attending on the classmates profile page, and it won't link to the name tag template, which are the two things we are trying to do.

Our classmates get a registration form in the mail and return it with their payment, so we don't want any of them to be confused by finding a registration form on-line and attempting to use it. But we want for me/an admin to be able to enter registrants manually so that we can have a list of attendees on the site and so that we can make nametags.

They have a radio button to select for off-line check payments in the event set-up, so it doesn't make sense that they would not also have a way to manually enter registrants for those schools that prefer off-line registration without displaying the form.

This was so much easier in 2013.

I guess if I have to display the form, I may enter a comment telling classmates to not attempt to use it. That may be the only option, and that's kind of disappointing.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Lynn

Monday, August 20, 2018 at 7:49 AM - Response #3

To site admins...

After sleeping on this, I am wondering about this option as perhaps a less cumbersome possibility in the long term, and then a short term work-around that might work:

Long-term thought:
If we are doing all off-line registration with checks sent by mail to the reunion committee we really don't even need to see an online form at all.

So, how about a button that bypasses the entire registration process and just allows an administrator of a class site simply select the name of each classmate who returns a registration by mail, allow for a guest, and link it to the filter of attendees the classmate profile page and to the name tag templates.

Short term work-around:
I am going to try keeping the form set to "registrations closed" but uncheck that when I am adding registrations, and then re-check it after I am done. I think that will turn it on for me and then I turn it off when I'm done so that classmates visiting the site won't see it (unless they visit while I'm adding attendees). Due to my work responsibilities, I won't be able to test this until tomorrow, though. I will come back and respond to document here whether this theory works.

Lynn Schneider
AD Eisenhower Class of 73

Edited 08/20/18 8:00 AM
Monday, August 20, 2018 at 11:43 AM - Response #4
Hide Event.JPG

Do as Scott suggests and create another page (I called it Hide Event Planner) but don't make it active. In Edit Site Pages put your active event under this new page and indent it. The attendees still show up as you want but there is no way anyone other than an admin can get to it..

Edited 08/20/18 11:47 AM
Monday, August 20, 2018 at 1:05 PM - Response #5

Thanks FC.

I will try this if toggling the "registration closed" on and off to add attendees does not work, but I have a question:
If you do this, do you still have a reunion page that you create *not* using the event planner, so that your classmates can still view your general reunion information?

For a couple of reasons, our reunion committee does not wish to use the site for registrations at all. One reason is that we were a class of well over 500 students, but only 161 have joined or are willing to join the site. This number grows in increments, but we're not at a membership level where it would be more efficient to link the accounts in order to use it. If all of our living classmates were site members, it might be more efficient to use it, but most of our committee members have full time job responsibilities (we're not quite at retirement age!) and the most efficient way for us is to have one method for all, and that is by sending out a flyer/registration form in the mail.

Another reason is that the committee wants to keep the costs to our classmates as low as possible, and therefore we do not wish to incur or pass on the credit card fee to our classmates who would use the on-line registration. We want everyone to have the same cost.

Anyway, I thank you for your suggestions and I will try it if toggling the registrations closed on/off does not work.

Lynn

Monday, August 20, 2018 at 1:29 PM - Response #6

Lynn Schneider wrote:

I will try this if toggling the "registration closed" on and off to add attendees does not work, but I have a question:
If you do this, do you still have a reunion page that you create *not* using the event planner, so that your classmates can still view your general reunion information? Lynn
Yes, either a separate page or as part of your home page as you appear to have done.

Lynn Schneider wrote:

Another reason is that the committee wants to keep the costs to our classmates as low as possible, and therefore we do not wish to incur or pass on the credit card fee to our classmates who would use the on-line registration. We want everyone to have the same cost.Lynn
There is no cost to use the Event Planner if you chose payment by check.

Edited 08/20/18 9:38 PM
Monday, August 20, 2018 at 1:35 PM - Response #7

Thanks again F.C.

I will be in here seeing what works tomorrow evening.

I understand about the no fee for check only and will need to let the reunion committee mull it over and decide for 2023, but this horse is out of the barn, so I'm going to have to figure something out to make it work without confusing anyone.

I have two things to try now.
The first will be toggling the "registration closed" on and off to add attendees/guests
The second will be the "hide event" page as you suggested.

Thank you again!

Lynn

Monday, August 20, 2018 at 9:34 PM - Response #8

Our reunion committee chose to not use the online registration for several reasons. I do think that each class should be able to determine the best means of registration for a reunion, based on things like the size of the class and how many classmates are actually members of the site, and other considerations. Are you telling me, that all the classmates names are not loaded on the web site. My site has over 400 names listed and even thro they are a lot of them that have not ever logged on the site.
We did not choose to use the online registration, but we would like to have the list of attendees show up on the classroom profile page and we would also like to make our nametags using the site so that our nametags display our yearbook picture.
I understand that who ever is in charge of the web site, and a few others made the rules.
How is a list of individual’s names show up on the classroom profile page? If they are a classmate they should already be listed Details and the profile section.
By using the online registration, it automatic put the individual on the nametag page., ready to be printed, with the year book picture. You have to look at each profile and make sure that the year book picture is located in two area 1. The Master Photo & Year Book Photo section.
If a class opts to do all offline registration by sending out flyers/announcements that include a registration form to return, then there is no need for the form online and as I have said from the outset, it would be nice if there was some way to bypass this feature for those classes who *choose* to not use it. We sent out letters to everyone that we had address for.

I will find a work-around this year and hopefully by 2023, there will be an option to add attendees for those classes that do not choose to use this website for registrations.
Thank you for your comment,

Lynn I wish you the best of luck

Bill

Monday, August 20, 2018 at 9:39 PM - Response #9

Lynn Schneider wrote:

Thanks again F.C.

I will be in here seeing what works tomorrow evening.

I understand about the no fee for check only and will need to let the reunion committee mull it over and decide for 2023, but this horse is out of the barn, so I'm going to have to figure something out to make it work without confusing anyone.

The first will be toggling the "registration closed" on and off to add attendees/guests

Thank you again!

Lynn

LYNN you can use the Event planer an add the names your self, but never make it active to the Class

I have added several names to ours event planter with guest names

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 at 6:15 PM - Response #10

Lynn Schneider wrote:

I would make it easy for myself. Use the second option. Be sure it is restricted to logged in only, even though you are not sharing it with your classmates.

I started my site here mid-registration for our 2010 (40th) reunion and immediately turned on CC's option for payment vs. PayPal. We were using my personal PayPal account and I was more than happy to make that change. We have now used CC's Event Planner for our 45th in 2015 and Medicare reunion in 2017 for donations and registrations.

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 at 9:59 PM - Response #11

Gwen Corey wrote:

Lynn Schneider wrote:

I would make it easy for myself. Use the second option. Be sure it is restricted to logged in only, even though you are not sharing it with your classmates.

I started my site here mid-registration for our 2010 (40th) reunion and immediately turned on CC's option for payment vs. PayPal. We were using my personal PayPal account and I was more than happy to make that change. We have now used CC's Event Planner for our 45th in 2015 and Medicare reunion in 2017 for donations and registrations.

GWEN are you saying that you are old enough to get Medicare Rolling EyesWinkIdea

Gwen you know me if you post something that I cam make a joke about I will do it Cool

Edited 08/21/18 10:01 PM
Monday, September 10, 2018 at 11:59 PM - Response #12

Hey FC,
I wanted to let you know that I tried making the event page hidden and creating a separate page using the "manage site pages" menu, and it worked as far a registering attendees goes, but the filter that allows the attendees to be displayed on the classmates profile page doesn't work if the event planner-created page is not active.

So the best thing that I've found at this point is to check/uncheck the "registrations closed" check box, entering the names sent to me when it's open and then closing the registrations when I'm done entering the names.

Maybe this will work better in 5 years. Or maybe my class will have more members on the site and our reunion committee will want to try taking payment though the site by then.

Anyway, just wanted to give you some feedback to let you know that it works, but then there is no filter for the reunion on the classmates profiles page.

Thanks!

Lynn

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 12:03 AM - Response #13

Hey Gwen,

I tried the second option and it *is* easier, BUT it does not allow for the registered classmates to appear in a filter on the classmates profile page. It seems that the page has to be "active" for that filter button to display there.

So I'm doing the toggling instead. It works all right, but still wish there was a bypass for all of that registration form process for those classes who for whatever reason choose not to register using this site. Maybe in 5 years. Or maybe by then there will be more of my classmates who will have joined and the committee will be willing to try the online registration here. Time will tell!

Thank you!

Lynn

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 10:02 AM - Response #14

Lynn Schneider wrote:

Hey FC,
I wanted to let you know that I tried making the event page hidden and creating a separate page using the "manage site pages" menu, and it worked as far a registering attendees goes, but the filter that allows the attendees to be displayed on the classmates profile page doesn't work if the event planner-created page is not active.

You're right, with the Event Planner not active the Classmate Profile page will not display attendee info. However, with the Event Planner page hidden there is no need to ever inactivate it and the information as to who is attending will be displayed as you want.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.