ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Customizable link folders?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/07/10 06:01 PM Views: 1529 Replies: 9
Saturday, August 7, 2010 at 6:01 PM

I would like to create a gallery of sorts containing a number of nostalgia items (scans, but not necessarily photos )such as old menus, news clippings, etc. provided by "packrat" classmates (OK, I'm guilty too). But I would like each item or related group of items to be accessible separately. Customizable links don't offer the option to create a new link as is the case in Forums or Photo Gallery, everything is just strung together. Perhaps I should be using one of those features to do this, but I'd like to know if I'm missing something here.
Thanks,
Mike

Edited 08/08/10 12:17 AM
Saturday, August 7, 2010 at 11:18 PM - Response #1

Although a link hierarchy system is coming out later this year for Customizable Links, I wouldn't recommend trying to build this under a customizable link anyway. Instead I suggest you use Gallery Creator. With Gallery Creator you can create as many gallery navigational links as you want, and under any of them you can put unlimited separate galleries, tying everything together as you've described.

Saturday, August 7, 2010 at 11:32 PM - Response #2

Back in the days before photo galleries were easy, I created 'dummy' classmates (and clicked 'do not show on class lists) and then posted photos as if they were classmate pictures. I then used one customizable page to provide a menu to each of the 'dummy' classmates using the link feature--no one knows that's where the photos are, and it's any easy place to load groups of photos, add captions and re-arrange the sequence. My Class of 68 site is password protected, but I also do the general alumni site TROY-NY-1900 that is not protected--check out the "HISTORY OF TROY" Tab to see how I did it.
Good luck,
Jim

Sunday, August 8, 2010 at 11:06 AM - Response #3

Jim, what a great website!

That raises another question: how much memory do we have and how do you conserve? Do 3rd party plug-ins for photo albums and playlists save you space?

Sunday, August 8, 2010 at 11:27 AM - Response #4

Thanks! I probably shouldn't tell you this, but what I found out was this: the photos that go into classmate profiles do not go into the calculations for your space allocation (I hope Brad and the boys don't read this and shutdown this nice little loophole). I don't know about 3rd party plug in, etc. In addition to the general alumni site, I've used the same techique on my individual class site (196Cool to load reunion photos for 10, 20, 30, 40 years, etc, and when there were too many, I just broke them into smaller, more manageable segments, such as golf outing, river cruise, reunion dinner, etc.
Jim

Sunday, August 8, 2010 at 6:06 PM - Response #5

200mb is your max storage space. You can upgrade for more. But I have found out that you can save your images for the web and save considerable space. I use photoshop. I'm sure there is less expensive software for reducing the size of your files. I have only used about 25mb of my usable storage. Most third party photo albums have settings for how big the files can be.
Classmaste Jimmy Z

Sunday, August 8, 2010 at 6:25 PM - Response #6

Thanks, Brad, that's exactly what I needed. Now, I have my pictures in a gallery. Some of them contain printed material (menus of long gone favorite restaurants, for instance) and I would like to know if there's a simple way to allow the viewers to zoom in on a picture to better read the small print. Remember, we're all mumble-something years old!
Thanks,
Mike

Monday, August 9, 2010 at 12:41 PM - Response #7

Jim--I can't find the History of Troy tab... But, just to be clear-- you went into classmate profiles and made up a fake classmate, using that profile page to load pictures ?
Then if someone wants to look at those pictures, they would look in the list of classmats for History of Troy?
Did you let everybody on your site know of this?

Thanks

Monday, August 9, 2010 at 12:48 PM - Response #8

You need to link to panoramic images outside of the gallery. But you can actually place any panoramic images and corresponding links just above your gallery thumbnail images themselves by using the visual editor. Full details on how to do that are in the panoramic thread.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 at 9:08 AM - Response #9

Lynda:
Sorry for the confusion--I have two sites--one for my individual class of 1968, which is probably what you linked to, and one for the entire school--its address ends in 1900 (www.classcreator.com/troy-ny-1900)--that's where you'll see the tab for "History of TROY"--it's one of our customized pages, where I then link to the 'dummy' classmates--each location is its own classmate, such as Post Office, City Hall, Trolleys, Bridge, etc--there are about 40 different categories, and each contain about 10 to 20 photos.
I've added a system password for the Class of 68 site: "admin" so you can see how I used the same technique there for our reunion photos.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.