New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Uploading classlistmulti.csv

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/02/09 03:07 AM Views: 1493 Replies: 6
Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 3:07 AM

I followed the directions closely.

1. Downloaded the template.
2. Removed the sample records.
3. Copied each column from original .XLS file and pasted into your CSV template named classlistmulti.csv.
4. took care to not change any field headings or spacings.
5, I filled in all but the address 2 heading.
6. saved it to another file name such as classlistmulti65final.csv and also back to your template file name classlistmulti.csv.
7. using browser button and upload button, tried both files.
8. I do get an excel button that says you might lose some features in conversion to csv comma delimited. 9. I say save anyway.
10. then after clicking the upload button I get the same loading circle in the tab and nothing moving on the status bar even though the long rectangle opens but shows no progress at all. blank.
That's it. I've attached the file.

Oh. I also had typed in 52 names earlier. They function ok. Apparently, I'm trying to add this list to that one. There will be duplication of several names.

Otherwise, your program is one fine piece of work. And I've studied lots of product.

Jesse Collins

Says my file is over 800kb. Thought it came in around 200. so am sending without the file.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 5:10 AM - Response #1

Email the final csv file to brad@classcreator.com and I'll check it out.

No commas or special characters in your csv file? You are actually using the original xls import template and not modifying a csv file? Only save the xls as a csv when you are done.

Just curious, does anything different happen if you try the import with a different web browser?

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 9:15 AM - Response #2

I built this under csv as thought I was supposed to. I copied and pasted my particular data under your headings in your template. Saving along the way as csv.

Will try to save as xls but will see.

jc

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 10:56 AM - Response #3

Hello.

Clearly, I've inadequate experience with the various building processes for the different save models for XLS. Worse, my system won't run on anything other than 2007, XLSX.

I've started with clean sheets in both 1997-2003 compatibility mode and XLSX (2007). I've used Binary mode etc also. The first column only produces 14kb with 568 records. They were copied from the CSV file I originally made. But by the time I enter all columns in your format, I am sitting at 2.5 MB. And saving that to CSV turns into 17MB.

Now my outbox in outlook is out of order and can't be deleted. So probably not receiving either as it shows transmitting. So I fired one .44 MAG 340 grain round into the screen and only removed the telephone numbers. Not really. Actually, I know this will be done eventually.

I'm now assuming that I should restart from scratch and this time build the template you sent in xls or xlsx. That is where I lose definition from your instructions. I thought I was supposed to use your template and only extract the sample rows. Then fill with my data under your heading. That took lots of time. Last, I'm sure you know that your columns are demonstrating overlap with such things as emails and addresses running outside the column. Can column width be extended in your format.

Hope you understand this.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 11:06 AM - Response #4

Send me your final csv so I can take a look before answering. Whatever is happing is not ordinary, this is usually a pretty straight forward process. FYI you have full control yourself over colums widths. Just click between colums at the top and drag column size to whatever works.

Edited 12/02/09 11:07 AM
Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 1:25 PM - Response #5

Thanks. I've done something very wrong, albeit the database looks perfect except for the overlaps. but I will fix them.

And am starting over which will take a while.Can't send the 17mb file because my outlook mailer is now stopped up. Can't get the file out. Doesn't seem like it, but have been doing web work since 1993 commercially, although without much Excel work.

Again. Can I do this basic in .XLSX (2007) format or does it have to be done in XLS (1997-2003).

I would just type it in manually except that I have more classes to upload.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 at 4:56 PM - Response #6

Hello.

I found the problem. When I copied and pasted the date field with years from the previous data sheet, it kept creating records out to the max of the program. That meant I was carrying 1 million records in the file without knowing it. Have cleaned it and set up the new system which flowed as instructed.

Have one recommendation for your side. The wording from the download to upload emphasizes the importance of keeping the csv style sheet intact. In the forum, you indicated to me or someone that the FULL database should be created within the template FORMAT, but not necessarily or obviously within the CSV file. You said only covert to csv after the xls database has been constructed in your format shown in the template. At least that is the way I construed everything, which made it harder than you intended or was required.

I think your program is the best on the web I've seen. If you manufacture standard non reunion classmate styled product, let me know.

Thank you for your timely responses and attempts to help.

Jesse Collins

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.