ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Donation Page

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 08/24/09 02:18 PM Views: 2865 Replies: 14
Monday, August 24, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Is there any way I can get a donation page, where people can make donations through pay pal on the website?

Monday, August 24, 2009 at 5:00 PM - Response #1

You can always log into your Paypal account and go to Merchant Tools and generate PayPal buttons. Then plug the code into any Customizable Link page. That will work fine, but we've actually got a Donate module built right into your home page which is even easier:

1) Click Edit Site Pages
2) Click the Edit button next to your home page
3) Place a checkmark in the Active column next to the Donate module
4) Click "Manage Donations" at the right to set up your text and donations.

Give a whirl, you'll find it's very easy and you don't even need to log into your PayPal account at all to get this going.

Monday, August 24, 2009 at 5:56 PM - Response #2

Where can I find a example of how the donation module looks/works? I don't quite understand how that works without PayPal...we still haven't set up PayPal yet, but that's the next item on our list of to-do's. Our reunion is next summer 2010, so we want to get started soon.

Can you direct me to the best place to find out all the info on how to set up PayPal from scratch? I have no clue and have a person standing ready and waiting to help.

Thanks so much,
Leslie Howerton Jones

Monday, August 24, 2009 at 9:44 PM - Response #3

I can't give you directions for setting up a PayPal account, but I can tell you that it's very easy to do so, and all of the directions you'll need are right inside the PayPal account setup process. They are also very good about answering questions if you have any.

The ONLY thing you need to plug into our system to activate your PayPal Donate module is your PayPal email address. You'll find the rest just configures itself. I don't even think you'll need examples to follow -- you'll see how easy this is. First you need the PayPal account though. Get that and then try activating your module and take a look at how it looks and works on your site. From there if you have any questions just let me know.

Friday, January 22, 2010 at 5:43 PM - Response #4

Can you only receive donations through PayPal? You don't have the same options as you do for payment such as automated, check and other?

Thanks.

Friday, January 22, 2010 at 5:52 PM - Response #5

If you have an active reunion page, you can add an item "Donate to support the website", with the amount being $5 or $10, and classmates can increase the amount by changing the quantities.

They can then donate with their regular reunion payment.

Saturday, January 23, 2010 at 7:01 PM - Response #6

We use the donate button to help collect $ towards a bursary we have set up theough the local school board for graduating students needing help... works like a charm.

Thursday, March 11, 2010 at 11:22 AM - Response #7

We're about to start accepting donations towards the 2011 reunion -- but not ready to sell tickets. We won't have any items to sell.

We don't have PayPal (and don't want that), preferring to accept checks by mail or online.

I've seen the steps about setting up the donation button -- but that seems to work only with PayPal.

Can you point me to a thread or step me through getting a secure page for accepting donations only? Suggested amounts would be $50 or $100 (or multiples of those).

Thanks,

John

Thursday, March 11, 2010 at 1:11 PM - Response #8

Right now the donation module is set up for Paypal only. We do plan to enhance this area in the future.

For now you could use the donations content box to specify where you would like them to send checks and state that you prefer checks.

You could also use an annoucement or custom page to outline where you would like checks sent if you are planning to accept checks only.

Thursday, March 11, 2010 at 11:04 PM - Response #9

We used the idea of a $5 donation on the reunion ticket page and it has worked really well so far. Some donate just $5 but others have gone up to $50. Even if you aren't selling other tickets, you could start now with the donation only and add other items later.

I was so glad to have gotten this idea from these boards. It's very helpful and worked out for us.

Thursday, March 11, 2010 at 11:48 PM - Response #10

Sorry, I'm still a bit confused.

I am aware there is an ACH module -- is that ONLY for the sale of tickets? Or can I re-purpose that for a while and use it to sell "donations" at $50 each and in quantities from 1 to 5 ($50-$250)?

And if that is possible then are payments accepted by Class Creator using either checks online or credit/debit cards? (or does this still get processed through PayPal?)

I think understand that if my 'buyers' choose credit/debit cards there would be a 4.9% fee. No fee for checks, right?

Friday, March 12, 2010 at 12:34 AM - Response #11

The ACH system only works with the Reunion Planner, that is correct.

Yes, you could potentially rename your reunion link to "Donate" or something similar, and disable everything on the page, such as registration, etc. that only pertains to reunions. So basically you'd just be leaving the store in tact.

You'd still have all 3 payment types, so you could enable Credit Cards, Checks (which are paper checks not eChecks), and the "Other" payment type.

Yes, if the payment comes in by credit card a 4.9% fee is applied. No there is no fee for Check payments.

Friday, March 12, 2010 at 2:57 PM - Response #12

Yesterday, I made my Reunion page inactive and moved the copy I had there to a custom page. Today I realized, that the change also removed the count from the Classmates Profiles of the number who have indicated they plan to attend. Today, I switched the Reunion page back to the way I had it. (I forgot to check if it also removed that choice question on the profiles?)

So if I re-purpose the Reunion page to just accept donations as I described above, would that also block the count of those planning to attend the reunion on the Classmates Profiles page? Question

Edited 03/12/10 3:00 PM
Friday, March 12, 2010 at 4:18 PM - Response #13

The count on the Classmate Profiles page keys in directly to the registration portion of the Reunion Planner. If you have Registration active, then you'll also have icons and counts on the Classmate Profiles page. If you don't have it active, then you won't.

Friday, April 9, 2010 at 2:12 PM - Response #14

Leslie Jones wrote:

Where can I find a example of how the donation module looks/works? I don't quite understand how that works without PayPal...we still haven't set up PayPal yet, but that's the next item on our list of to-do's. Our reunion is next summer 2010, so we want to get started soon.

Can you direct me to the best place to find out all the info on how to set up PayPal from scratch? I have no clue and have a person standing ready and waiting to help.

Thanks so much,
Leslie Howerton Jones

Setting up a Paypal account is easy and explained "how to" on Paypals website. You might also want to include in the body of your text within the "Donate" box how your classmates can make donations by check. Options are always a good idea especially when it comes to asking for support by donations.

Kevin

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.