ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Non-logged in announcements

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 02/06/09 04:42 PM Views: 2698 Replies: 15
Friday, February 6, 2009 at 4:42 PM

I think that I remember somewhere that in "THE TASK LIST" there will be a check-box on the "Edit Home Page" where we can select which items are displayed on the home page, depending if the user is logged in or not. I believe it is also the same module where the home page contents can be put in a specific order. (soon to be delivered, I think).

I would like to have this go even further and have the announcements be able to appear depending if the user is logged in or not. So if not logged in, the content of an announcement telling how to sign up or how to log in would display. If the classmate is signed in, he would see a different set of announcements. So not only would there be an "ACTIVE" check-box for announcements, but a Radio Button for "Logged in" and "Not Logged In".

Is this possible?

Friday, February 6, 2009 at 6:05 PM - Response #1

The new home page edit area mockup you mentioned is here. We're actively developing this right now.

Your suggestion of allowing Announcements to appear, or not appear, based on whether or not the Classmate is logged in is EXCELLENT. Can't believe I didn't think of that myself... But that's what I love about you guys -- every day your ideas make Class Creator better. Adding to list. Thanks Kyle.

Edited 02/06/09 7:35 PM
Friday, February 6, 2009 at 6:13 PM - Response #2

I agree. That would keep the home page less cluttered. Thanks for the ideal, Kyle - and thanks, Brad, for being willing to do it!

Diana

Friday, February 6, 2009 at 6:32 PM - Response #3

I think the mockup is a little confusing. There are items that appear in the main body and those items in the right column mixed together. The Announcements will always appear in the Main body, so how will moving the ANNOUNCEMENTS below the POLL (click the RED arrow of ANNOUNCEMENTS one time) change anything?

If ANNOUNCEMENTS can now have "Non-Logged In Announcements", does it make sense to have a check-box by announcements in the mockup for "Logged In Only"? (I know, the mockup might need to be rethunk).

Maybe what is needed is a RIGHT SIDE CONTENT ORDER section and a MAIN CONTENT ORDER section. If this is the case, you could remove the "Show announcements above home page content." radio buttons (on Announcement Edit page). Just have a "Main Content" item that can move up and down with arrows. If the Birthdays or History "Show in Body Area" checkbox gets checked/unchecked, then those items will move to the RIGHT MENU ORDER or the MAIN CONTENT ORDER part (it will be a little jumpy).

My idea is this:
RIGHT SIDE CONTENT ORDER
___Login
___Poll
___Who's Online
___Profile Updates
___Where are they now
___Where they live
___[Birthdays]
___[This Day in History]
___Missing Classmates

MAIN CONTENT ORDER
___Announcements
___Main Content
___[Birthdays]
___[This Day in History]

The [Birthdays] and [This Day in History] would jump between CONTENT ORDER depending on "Show in Body" checkbox. The "___" is the UP DOWN arrows.

Sorry for the long post, just brainstorming.

Friday, February 6, 2009 at 6:37 PM - Response #4

Diana Denholm wrote:

I agree. That would keep the home page less cluttered. Thanks for the ideal, Kyle - and thanks, Brad, for being willing to do it!

Diana

I have a "Fridge Magnet" toy on my home page that I have put in Announcements. If I have it so it doesn't display to non-classmates, then only classmates can change it.

Friday, February 6, 2009 at 7:09 PM - Response #5

Clearly those items should be segmented, you are 100% right. No sort arrows next to Announcements or Login box, etc. I must have had one too many beers the night I mocked that up for the programmer. Kyle, you are great. Thank you.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 2:18 AM - Response #6

Ok, check it out. I think this will work.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 8:36 AM - Response #7

What does the "Edit" next to "Your Content" bring up? Is it just a short cut to "Your Content" at the bottom of the page? If so, probably not needed.

Will "Logged in Only" be a choice per announcement like suggested above? If so, (and some are announcements for NON-logged in people), is this check box needed for ANNOUNCEMENTS?

Also, FCKEditor and other objects are not defined for me.

Edited 02/07/09 8:42 AM
Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 8:51 AM - Response #8

Ah, oops I just copied and pasted that "edit" next to "your content" from a previous row. Nixed.

I think allowing "logged in only" and "active" on the entire Announcements Board is a good idea. Yes, you'll be able to set logged in or not settings at the Announcement level itself, but this is a quick way for somebody to turn on or off the entire board rather than having to set each Announcement manually. Also, if we remove the checkboxes next to Announcements people will think it's broken, thus I'd have to come up with some other verbiage to put there to indicate it's really not broken. I could never do that in a small table cell, so I'd have to make something clickable to a pop up that explains it. Too confusing. I think we're better just allowing people to control the entire board if somebody wants to do that, despite the individual Announcement settings they can adjust under the Announcements area.

Edited 02/07/09 8:54 AM
Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 8:59 AM - Response #9

OK, I agree.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 5:28 PM - Response #10

I noticed that the Home Page Edit now has a "Donate" button. Just wondering how many other options there will be. Now the mock up needs to be changed to add a "Donate" to the right side modules.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 at 7:10 PM - Response #11

Just that one for now. It doesn't need to change, everything live in the system will be worked into this format, 'tis all good.

Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 10:15 AM - Response #12

Brad Switzer wrote:

Ah, oops I just copied and pasted that "edit" next to "your content" from a previous row. Nixed.

I think allowing "logged in only" and "active" on the entire Announcements Board is a good idea. Yes, you'll be able to set logged in or not settings at the Announcement level itself, but this is a quick way for somebody to turn on or off the entire board rather than having to set each Announcement manually. Also, if we remove the checkboxes next to Announcements people will think it's broken, thus I'd have to come up with some other verbiage to put there to indicate it's really not broken. I could never do that in a small table cell, so I'd have to make something clickable to a pop up that explains it. Too confusing. I think we're better just allowing people to control the entire board if somebody wants to do that, despite the individual Announcement settings they can adjust under the Announcements area.

Is the only choice either / or? I have some announcements that would be great as logged in only and others that it doesn't matter if someone isn't logged in. I'd like the advantage to 'lure' the 'gawkers' to join. I've heard recently that quite a few have been coming to the home page, but since there was so much content in the announcements, etc., that they didn't register. Since then, I've made the announcement section 'logged in' only; but as I said, there are a couple things there I'd like 'non-loggers' to 'see the cover' but not able to "view the pages" unless logged in. (this makes sense to me, hope it does to you, even tho I know it will be shot down). LOL

Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 11:29 AM - Response #13

There are three choices for viewing announcements, Everyone, Non-logged in, Logged in.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 12:30 AM - Response #14

That's correct Kyle, but that wasn't my question. (or dream/wish) I'd like control of each individual announcement that's within the announcement segment. I like how this segment works with the other individual elements. I'd like some to show and some not to show and the only choice for those 3 options is for the whole list of announcements to show (or not) at one time. I'd also like to win the lottery.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at 1:25 AM - Response #15

I think I'm seeing the confusion here. Under your Edit Site Pages area you can choose to show or not show the entire Announcements Board if you want to based on whether the viewer is logged in or not logged in. But under your actual Manage Announcements area (NOT the home page edit area) you can control the visibily of each individual announcement using the dropdown visibility settings. Methinks you're looking at the home page edit area and not your announcement management area.

Edited 04/14/09 1:26 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.