ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Linking to individual Message Forum posts?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/10/08 12:29 PM Views: 1232 Replies: 2
Wednesday, September 10, 2008 at 12:29 PM

I have a user who posted some great information in our Message Forum, but it's really long. It's something that I would like to elevate to an announcement on the Home Page, but the length of that post is a show-stopper.

I would like to post a brief summary and link to the original post in the forum for more information. I can see in the source code that each post as a primary key. But I can't seem to link to it. I also noticed that the 'previous posts' link goes to specific posts with another system-generated ID, but that ID changes when a new post gets added.

Is there a way to build a hard-coded link to a specific forum post?

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 at 11:06 PM - Response #1

Never been asked that before! Good question.

I don't believe there's any built in way to link to that specific post. You might want to use one of your Customizable Links and copy the content to it instead, and then link to it.

One more thing you might try: You can put html code in a forum response. Try putting a named anchor on that response using html code. And then link to that page/named anchor. I've never tried it before but that just might work.

When our new threaded forums launch you'll be able to link to any response, but that won't help you for now.

Edited 09/11/08 2:24 AM
Thursday, September 11, 2008 at 2:08 AM - Response #2

Adding the named anchor worked perfectly. I'm a little ashamed that I didn't think of that solution myself. Thanks!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.