ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

IP Addresses

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 01/20/10 09:32 AM Views: 2514 Replies: 4
Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Hi. I notice that some e-mails from CC include the senders IP address. It seems to be whenever they click CONTACT US. I find these IP addresses very helpful when trying to compare them to a Statcounter report. I'd like to be able to see more of them. Is it possible to do one of two things (or both?)?

1. Include the IP address on the notice of NEW CLASSMATE NOTIFICATION? This way we could add it to our records right away. Maybe also include it in the class download listing.

2. Can the STATISTICS - LAST LOGIN table be expanded to include the IP address? I realize people may sometimes log in from different places but the majority of the time they are from the same place.

Any other suggestions for how/where to capture it would be helpful. Thanks.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 10:51 AM - Response #1

Speaking as an ADMIN and not an employee....

Another CONTACT US-type form is when the classmate hits a password-protected page and haven't logged in yet. There is a module for Login/Password, one module for "Site Password", and a third module at the bottom that is "Contact Us". This CONTACT US doesn't seem to include the IP Address.

Thursday, January 21, 2010 at 12:30 AM - Response #2

Kyle I put in a request to have the IP address logged on that Contact form too.

Barb, I'm curious, what exactly ware you doing with this information? I realize you're comparing it to other logs, but for what ultimate purpose? We logged the IP address on Contact Form submissions primarily because those forms can be filled out by non members, which opens them up to the potential of spam. If somebody is spamming those forms, at least you can see where the spam is originating from in terms of geographical area.

I guess my hesitation in adding IP address to numerous other member forms or other areas of the system is 99% of people would derive no value from it. At best you're going to see what part of the world somebody was in when submitting a form, but you'd never get down to street level address or anything like that anyway with an IP address. Even figuring out which region of the world somebody was in would be a manual process. In other words, I would hesitate to clutter forms or reports with IP address information when I'm positive 99% of people either wouldn't know what the IP Address information is, what it could be used for, and wouldn't do anything with it even if they did.

So -- I'm hoping you can shed some light on why having the IP Address is important, and particularly how it could benefit the typical user.

Monday, April 16, 2012 at 1:47 PM - Response #3

Brad Switzer wrote:

Barb, I'm curious, what exactly ware you doing with this information? I realize you're comparing it to other logs, but for what ultimate purpose? We logged the IP address on Contact Form submissions primarily because those forms can be filled out by non members, which opens them up to the potential of spam. If somebody is spamming those forms, at least you can see where the spam is originating from in terms of geographical area.

I guess I never responded to this.Embarassed This was mine under one of my other email address/sites.

Here is my scenario.....Especially with a new site, as new people register, I compare CC info with Statcounter info. On Statcounter you can attach a name to an IP address. I realize that this shows where the person was when they logged in but for a vastly large percentage of time, that is the same place they usually log in from. So what I do now is:

1. Get my Statcounter log
  2. Get my CC Login Stats
  3. Compare the two - determine who the person was and then
  4. Attach the name to the IP Address in Statcounter

This way, next time I get my Statcounter log, the name is already listed.

So - if nothing else, it would really be helpful if the IP address was included in the New Classmate Notification email.

Thanks for listening. Wink

Monday, April 16, 2012 at 4:47 PM - Response #4

Barbara, thanks, adding to wish list. Nothing like having conversing over 2 year time spans. Smile

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.