ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Opt out of email notifications

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/23/17 09:17 PM Views: 1332 Replies: 15
Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 9:17 PM

I have a classmate who's asked to not be sent any email notifications. I thought there was (used to be) a check box in the classmate's profile where you could opt out of receiving emails, but I can't find it now.

I can't believe the option isn't there; can someone direct me on how to do this? Thanks.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 9:47 PM - Response #1

Take A look under 'Member Functions' and select the 'Notify Me' tab - everything is listed and options are self-explanatory. Is this what you're looking for? I believe that the member will need to review and check these options once logged in. I don't think you would be able to do that for the member. This may not be applicable, but I'm sure others will weigh in.

Edited 02/23/17 9:52 PM
Friday, February 24, 2017 at 5:08 AM - Response #2

I believe Sam is right in all his points.

Friday, February 24, 2017 at 12:02 PM - Response #3

The OPT-OUT in the classmate's Contact Details page (if it hasn't been removed) was only visible if the classmate had clicked on the "unsubscribe from all emails from the system" message that is at the bottom of all emails from the system. It was never there unless the box was checked, then the admin could uncheck the box to again subscribe them to the emails.

However, I believe this functionality is now part of NOTIFY ME. If the "unsubscribe from emails..." is clicked on an email, the classmate will be taken to the NOTIFY ME page where they can unsubscribe from emails.

Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 10:34 AM - Response #4

Thank you everyone! As always, this community has been a huge benefit and resource. As someone who is comfortable, yet fairly computer illiterate, I know I can always count on this site to get me though my challenges.

Thanks again for your help!

Monday, April 30, 2018 at 12:59 PM - Response #5

Do I have to do anything on my end so that they stop getting emails? I don't see anything on the Details or Profile page of the classmate that requested to be unscribed...

Monday, April 30, 2018 at 1:37 PM - Response #6

I don't believe there is anything you can do as an admin to prevent classmates from receiving emails. Under Member Functions, the classmate selects Notify Me and makes his selections as to which emails, if any, he/she wishes to receive. If a classmate desires to receive no emails, he/she selects "Never" for every option.

Edited 04/30/18 2:09 PM
Monday, April 30, 2018 at 9:19 PM - Response #7

One of the members of my Wachovia Old Gang website never ever wants to receive an email. He wants me to perform the NOTIFY ME options on his behalf. Didn't matter that I told him how he could do it easily, and immediately. He feels 'it's my job'.

Having said that-------------If the Root Admin doesn't have such authority to stop all emails for a member, can it be done by a member of the CC team? And if so, I'd like to send an email directly to someone at CC instead of stating the name of this person here.

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 5:19 AM - Response #8

Irma, I need a good laugh now and then, and you have provided it with this story of your member who expects you to do his work for him. Good Lord! You've given him his bread and now he wants you to butter it for him!

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 7:44 AM - Response #9

Scott,

Ditto!!!!

Sam

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 10:57 AM - Response #10

As Kyle mentioned earlier, at one time notify emails used to include a link which would 'unsubscribe' from all emails, creating a check box in that member's profile that he (or admins) could override if "unsubscribe" was not what the member intended. That was replaced by a link to the member's Notify Me options, giving the member the same option - although somewhat more tedious in checking a dozen "Never" boxes.

Back then, admins could - if requested - reverse a mistaken (or inadvertent) "unsubscribe" choice. Now, the choices of notify emails are totally up to each member, allowing them to select the types of emails they wish (or don't wish) to receive. Admins can view which options members have chosen, but we can't change them.

Irma, I'd suggest that you tell the member the choice is his any time he gets an email. That's what the link at the bottom is there for. And that we don't have any control over member's Notify choices. If he does not wish to exercise that option, that's a choice he has elected to make.

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 1:19 PM - Response #11

Irma, - you can simply go to his profile and remove the email address from the system. That will result in no further emails being sent. It would also block the member from logging in as well. Therefore, if this is not an acceptable solution, send me a direct message with the member's name and I can log in as the member and make the change for him.

Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 6:37 PM - Response #12

Good information in this string. My question is if the website administrator gets notification of their member opting out of notifications and emails?

Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 9:46 PM - Response #13

Under Member Functions > Notify Me, if a classmate selects "Never" for "An administrator sends an email to all Classmates (strongly recommended)," the admin is not notified.

However, an admin can see who has selected "Never" by looking at Admin Functions > Email the Class. Click on "Compose Email" and scroll down through the "Available Classmates." If someone has opted out of receiving emails from an administrator, you'll see "NOTIFY FLAG OFF" next to their name.

Edited 04/25/21 9:47 PM
Sunday, April 25, 2021 at 10:22 PM - Response #14

Thank You

Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 2:03 PM - Response #15

Expanding on what Scott Moore wrote in Response #13:
As an administrator, you can see what options the classmates chose on the Notify Me page, and NOT limited to the email issue either.
Select the Statistics page
Select Notify Me at the bottom
Select any one of the blue numbers to the right of the nineteen [19] options, scroll to the bottom of the page, to see what members have selected for that option. {Immediately, Once Daily, Never}
<><>
With that said, I wish there was a way to print out or save a document with all these, with one or two key-stroke. {Hint – Hint}

Edited 04/27/21 2:03 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.