ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Email Bouncebacks???

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/27/09 10:57 PM Views: 1757 Replies: 10
Friday, March 27, 2009 at 10:57 PM

I've got a classmate's email bounceback. What has happened? I thought I would go into their profile and see if I could correct it, but it didn't work. Can you help? thanks,
Cindi

Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 12:14 AM - Response #1

Hi Cindi,

If you click on the bounceback it gives the details for the bounce. In this case the mail server for the classmate responded back 550 5.1.1 Not our Customer

That means their email address no longer exists at the provider for their email.

It looks like they have registered on the site and their last login was yesterday so they are still able to get into the system and check the emails. You could just send them an email through the system to let them know their eamil address is bouncing - they would still be able to see the email when they login even if they are not receiving the notification of the email at their old email address.

Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 2:29 AM - Response #2

hmmm.... so, in other words, they can still pick up email on their end, but I can't send it to them? What about other classmates? Sounds like they need to add a different email address... I'll let them know.
thanks,
Cindi

Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 3:09 AM - Response #3

apparently MY email address is in HER profile...how and why is that? I'm confused now...

Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 12:17 PM - Response #4

Let me clarify something here. Emails sent within the system really aren't actual emails. They are just private communications that never leave our network. Our system does send a notice that the email in the system exists, and it's that notice itself that is bouncing. So yes, if the Classmate logs in he or she can still get the email even though their notice of the email to their regular email box bounced.

Regarding why your email address is in the Classmate's Profile, it's because 99% of the time somebody has auto fill turned on in their browser. Firefox is usually the culprit, but other toolbars can also auto complete forms for you. When administering a class web site it is highly recommend that you disable auto fill. Otherwise you risk saving your own email address (which is auto filled on your behalf) in areas of your system (like other Classmate's Profiles) where you didn't intend to do this.

Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 2:49 PM - Response #5

Okay, I don't have Autofill on....at least, I don't think I do. How do I be sure? How (besides the tab on the toolbar)else do I turn it off?
thanks,
Cindi

Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 3:50 PM - Response #6

In Firefox click on Tools > Options > Privacy tab > and uncheck the box, "Remember what I enter in the forms and the search bar" and it'll take care of that.

Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 5:25 PM - Response #7

Okay, I did that, so I'm not on Autofill, now, however I do like having my passwords and email addresses 'remembered' on other sites....will this eliminate it across the board, or just on Class Creator?

Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 9:30 PM - Response #8

It will eliminate it across the board. There are two ways you can go about this if you really want auto fill on:

1) Turn it back on, and then as you administer your class web site be extremely careful to delete your own email address whenever it auto fills before saving a page you're working on. I wouldn't do this myself, as sooner or later you'll slip up.

2) Simply use a different browser to Administer your class web site. For instance if your regular browser is Firefox, then edit your Class web site using Internet Explorer.

Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 11:18 PM - Response #9

oh yuck. damned if I do, damned if I don't...well, that's a decision I can make 'tomorrow Scarlett'! Smile

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 11:29 AM - Response #10

I use a different browser and it works great. When I want to work on the site I click the Firefox icon and thats it. My normal browser is Safari.
Side-note: the reason I use 2 browsers is to see what the site looks like on 2 browsers.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.