ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Photo gallery captions dont display properly

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/25/10 02:06 PM Views: 8710 Replies: 39
Saturday, September 25, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Hi, All our photo gallery captions are suddenly not displaying properly - anything more than a few words gets cut off. Help please! Thanks, Ian.

Saturday, September 25, 2010 at 3:03 PM - Response #1

Very nice website - Ian

I think the issue of caption decapitation Rolling Eyes is related only to vertical pictures and the problem is that the Flash script is adjusting to your screen height without taking into account the bottom taskbar. I've noticed this same cut-off on my galleries too.

I was able to read all the captions on horizontal images.

Brad?

Edited 09/25/10 3:05 PM
Saturday, September 25, 2010 at 3:45 PM - Response #2

I am seeing the same problem on the horizontal images too. Even quite long captions that displayed properly before are decapitated now. Seems to me that something that worked fine before isnt working now?

Saturday, September 25, 2010 at 11:20 PM - Response #3

Will check into this Monday.

Sunday, September 26, 2010 at 2:04 AM - Response #4

Thanks! Ian

Sunday, September 26, 2010 at 12:12 PM - Response #5

Ian are captions that were right before still wrong now? If so can you guide me to a specific image to look at?

Sunday, September 26, 2010 at 2:53 PM - Response #6

HI Brad, you look at the "Ian Robertson" collection in the photo gallery -- every single photo there has a truncated caption at the moment. None did before. Ian

Sunday, September 26, 2010 at 10:57 PM - Response #7

Are you using a screen resolution of 800 x 600? If not what resolution are you using?

Although the caption is stretched out beyond the photo and I think we need to adjust that, it's not getting cut off. Can you clear your browser cache (delete temporary Internet files), shut down your web browser, open it back up and try again?

Monday, September 27, 2010 at 12:51 AM - Response #8

Not exactly the same as Ian is describing, but the bottom of the frame is partially hidden behind my taskbar -- so that I can't access the forward/pause/back buttons.

http://screencast.com/t/MTI5ZGFkND

Monday, September 27, 2010 at 5:17 AM - Response #9

Hi Brad.

I have cleared the cache and shut down and restarted.. still the same problem. My screen resolution is 1280x800. Help! Ian

Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 9:51 PM - Response #10

Seems to work fine now!

Sunday, October 3, 2010 at 9:53 AM - Response #11

Oh no! Now the captions are squeezed into a narrow space below the photographs -- everything is there but they are still not displaying properly. I havent touched anything so I just dont understand this. Help! Ian

Sunday, October 3, 2010 at 11:03 AM - Response #12

Ian,

Which photo has captions you don't think display right and how should they display. I checked out this gallery

http://www.dhs-class-of-1961.net/class_gallery.cfm?gallery_id=7984

and looked at photo 11/16 and 12/16 and they seemed to display the captions fine. What did you want to see?

Sunday, October 3, 2010 at 11:05 AM - Response #13

Ian,

what browser are you using?

Sunday, October 3, 2010 at 1:59 PM - Response #14

Hi Kyle, I took another look, and what has happened for some reason is that large photos are suddenly displaying small for some reason and this is forcing longer captions into a thin tail of text below the photo, see for example the two class pics 2/16 and 3/16 where the names drop off the bottom of the page. If you look at the original, intended size of the pics as displayed in the edit function you will see what I mean. Before, the pics displayed much larger, and the captions ran for a longer line under them and fitted nicely. So I think the problem is not the captions but the fact that the pics have shrunk from their previous size. I don't why this has suddenly happened, nor do I know how to correct it or stop it happening again.

I am using Chrome.

Thanks, Ian

Sunday, October 3, 2010 at 2:23 PM - Response #15

I was unable to find anything labeled 2/16 and 3/16, but one thing that's important to understand is photo height and the length of your overall caption has to fit on the screen at whatever resolution the viewer is using. So if the photo needs to shrink in size to fit everything in for the screen resolution, then that's what it does. Possible "fixes" for this:

1) Increase your screen resolution. When you do the photos will display larger.
2) Decrease the length of your caption
3) I think on our end we should move the photo controls to the top of the photo so the bottom is reserved for the caption only. We'll have more room for caption text this way, it'll balance out better, and the odds of long captions making something sink below the bottom of the page will decrease significantly. Will put in a Programming request for this.

Sunday, October 3, 2010 at 3:52 PM - Response #16

What I dont understand is that the photos displayed at the correct size and the captions displayed correctly underneath them for weeks. The photos have suddenly shrunk and the captions have shrunk to fit them. and I have no idea why.

Sunday, October 3, 2010 at 8:55 PM - Response #17

Can you give me an example of an exact photo you're looking at? I.E. when I go into your gallery, which gallery are you clicking on, and after that which specific photo?

Sunday, October 3, 2010 at 9:33 PM - Response #18

Hi Brad,
Go to Odds and Ends. Then, in the Michael Johnson gallery, look at the first two photos. Or in the Ian Robertson gallery, at the last photo. These pics have shrunk dramatically from their previous size and thus have shrunk the space below them too, so captions that fit fine before are now squished into a narrow column. I believe the problem is that the photos have shrunk so much. I have been using the same screen resolution for weeks and did not have any problem with the gallery until recently. The pics now appear very small in my screen. To see the correct sizes of these pics, go to Edit Odds and Ends and click on the relevant photos. When they displayed like that, the captions fit with no problem. Ian

Sunday, October 3, 2010 at 9:47 PM - Response #19

The photos are 1,000 pixels wide and look beautiful. So do the captions. In both Internet Explorer and Firefox. Can you do me a favor and clear your browser cache (delete temporary Internet files), shut down your we browser, open it back up again, and try viewing the gallery again? If you're still seeing something odd please let me know what web browser and browser version number you are using.

Monday, October 4, 2010 at 12:58 AM - Response #20

What is your screen resolution?

Monday, October 4, 2010 at 2:44 PM - Response #21

Hi Brad, I've now viewed the galleries on my computer with chrome, safari, and explorer; and with explorer, chrome, and firefox on a friend's computer. And yes, the pics and captions display correctly everywhere except on my computer with chrome. So it is local problem which I will either fix or work around. Thanks so much for your help! Ian

Sunday, November 7, 2010 at 6:48 PM - Response #22

I've been noticing the same problem, but with a difference. I uploaded a photo into an album (1953-brownies.jpg) at an original size of 693x524 pixels. Without a caption, it shows at about 500 pixels wide in IE8 and in Firefox. However, once a caption more than 1 line is added, it is resized to about 400 pixels wide! If I download the photo from the site, it is the original size (693x524).

What's happening here? I want to keep the caption, but I also want the photo to show as large as possible?

Here is a link to the album (the photo in question is the first one there): http://www.flhs61.com/class_gallery.cfm?gallery_id=10243

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jerry Liebowitz

Edited 11/17/10 11:24 AM
Sunday, November 7, 2010 at 7:41 PM - Response #23

What is you screen resolution? If you raise it up one notch the photo will probably display at the full size. Gallery Creator takes into account your available screen real estate, any browser toolbars you've added, etc. I.E. it knows your screen resolution and there's also a small amount of white padding built in so photos don't display right up to the very edge of the screen. So the smaller the resolution you have, the smaller the photo will be in terms of pixels so it fits nicely on all screens. Generally, screen resolutions of 1280 pixels wide or wider will not shrink photo sizes at all. Once you move down to 1024 and lower from there most photos will display at less than their actual size so they fit nicely on the screen. This allows photos to look large and fill most of the screen at all resolutions.

Sunday, November 7, 2010 at 7:41 PM - Response #24

My screen resolution is 1024x768, which works fine for the photo when there is no caption (or only a one line caption). I have no problem with the photo being reduced to 500 pixels wide (although I don't understand why it can't show the entire 693). The problem is that the caption leads to the photo being reduced even further -- to about 400 pixels wide! Any idea why a caption should do this?

Oh, I think I just figured it out. It's the toolbars! When I get rid of them under "View," the photo gets larger, because there's more room for the caption. It's the height, not the width, that's at issue here. Guess I'll just have to live with it, because I don't want to increase my screen resolution and have everything (especially text) appear so much smaller. Many sites are optimized for 1024x768.

Sunday, November 7, 2010 at 7:52 PM - Response #25

You figured it out. Smile It's all about the height. The more room you have, the larger the photo will be. You're exactly right, we did it like this to make sure viewers who are still at 1024 x 768 can see the photos and captions fine. You're also right, many web sites are optimized for 1024 x 768 viewing, although you're in the middle of seeing that change. You can't buy a computer these days that comes with a resolution of less than 1280 wide. Well I'm sure somewhere you can, I certainly haven't seen any though. So over time you'll see a lot of people make features very much like this one here, that will still work at older resolutions like 1024 x 768, but for newer widescreen resolutions like 1280 and higher the feature will look even better, because the photos will display larger on the screen. It's important it be compatible for everyone though, that's the key.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 5:02 PM - Response #26

I understand that the more "real estate" we have in our browser, the larger the photo can display. And that that's determined by the gallery software.

However, I found a "new" problem, actually with the Image Editor. It does NOT size to fit the available space. That is, since it does not scroll, I cannot see the lowermost part of the editor screen. This was not a problem when I was simply uploading photos that did not need resizing. However, today another classmate and I had the same problem. I was able to "work around" the issue by closing some browser toolbars and status bar, but this should not be needed. Is there some way to get the programmers to make the Image Editor screen scrollable?

For now, I have included instructions to class memebers (you can see them on our homepage) to temporarily disable browser toolbars.

I hope a better solution can be found. Thanks.

BTW: Should this have been a new thread instead of posting here?

Edited 11/16/10 5:03 PM
Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 5:14 PM - Response #27

No here is fine. Anybody with a current resolution (1280 or higher) will never have a problem. For the most part you can't even buy a computer anymore that doesn't come with at least a 1280 resolution. Of course many older computer and monitors are still in use so we had to take that into account for the lowest resolution people still use, which is 1024 x 768. The editor will fit fine at that resolution UNLESS you have additional toolbars or other plugins affixed to your browser. If you're using the lowest common resolution (1024 x 76Cool and you've also affixed browser toolbars to your browser, the easiest solution for seeing the entire editing is just pressing your F11 key. When done just press it again. That's the fastest solution you'll find.

FYI the editor cannot be scrollable as it appends itself atop the current page.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 9:03 PM - Response #28

Thanks for your quick reply. The support here is really great!
And thanks for the F11 tip. Is there some way that that instruction could be placed at the top of the Image Editor? I can put it on the gallery pages, but I can't edit the Image Editor.

Also, are the toolbars disabled with F11 in ALL browsers, not just IE? And what about Macs?

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 12:21 AM - Response #29

Jerome (Jerry) Liebowitz wrote:

...are the toolbars disabled with F11 in ALL browsers, not just IE? And what about Macs?

On PCs, it's only IE that uses the F11 function. What's a "Mac"?

(Just kiddin')Wink

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 11:22 AM - Response #30

I just checked. Firefox 3.6 also uses F11 for "Full Window" view. That's good, since Firefox and IE are the main browsers that most of my classmates use (I think). Still trying to find out about Safari (or whatever) on a Mac. Anyone else know?

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 11:26 AM - Response #31

Jerome (Jerry) Liebowitz wrote:

I just checked. Firefox 3.6 also uses F11 for "Full Window" view. That's good, since Firefox and IE are the main browsers that most of my classmates use (I think). Still trying to find out about Safari (or whatever) on a Mac. Anyone else know?

Not on my Firefox 3.6 -- I'm using Vista - maybe it's a Windows 7 thing?

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 11:31 AM - Response #32

No, I'm still using Windows-XP. Too bad. I wish these browsers would be more consistent and use similar standards. Oh well, I'll wait until classmates complain or get confused and write to me. I don't want to have to start figuring out how to tell them to do it with each browser and OS.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 11:41 AM - Response #33

Jerry - check your "Inbox" at the top of this page. I sent you something.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 at 2:32 PM - Response #34

I've got a gallery of photos of classes from K-6th Grades. I'd like the name captions to break after the names of kids in each row rather than running them all together.

Row 1: #1, #2, etc
Row 2: #1, #2, etc
Row 3: #1, #2, etc.

When I include code to create line breaks, it seems to wipe them out.

Can you advise on the best way to do this or if it is possible?

Here's the Gallery it's the first 7 pictures.

Thanks.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 at 3:21 PM - Response #35

John - Did you try < b r > ...run together for the break? It works for me.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 at 6:03 PM - Response #36

Thanks, no I was trying to use p aragrah. How can I Center these captions?

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 at 7:54 PM - Response #37

Try < center > before it and < /center > after it. (No spaces before or after carrot brackets)

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 at 8:03 PM - Response #38

No... that didn't work.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 at 2:06 PM - Response #39

Try it again John.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.