ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Future Alumni Page release?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 01/24/11 07:36 PM Views: 2065 Replies: 28
Monday, January 24, 2011 at 7:36 PM

My Class of 1960, Anadarko, OK is the only class from our High School with a website. I am pretty certain that I have Class of 1959 and Class of 1961 that will register with ClassCreator using my Referral Code., likely within the next 3 weeks.

I am offering to be Co Admin for each of them also, until they feel comfortable (which you guys are SUPER in making your customers comfortable anyway!!!!).

Anyway, one REALLY important thing to our classes that still remain as Close Friends and stay in contact, is the upcoming Alumni Page. Is that fairly High in the new release enhancements. The Class of 1961 will immediately start planning for their 50th Reunion for this summer. Communications will help all of us a lot, especially between classes.

Brad, you could have that by March couldn't you, please, please. LaughingVery Happy

Edited 01/24/11 7:40 PM
Monday, January 24, 2011 at 9:33 PM - Response #1

Heh. I wish I could say yes to that but I can't. First priority here is the "Class Creator 3.0' stuff which is a multi faceted upgrade to the existing system. I cannot even begin to describe the enormity of this upgrade. It involves new designs, flyouts and dropdowns, a redo of all the existing designs so they are in CSS and wider, unlimited pages, link sorting and renaming and more. It's a massive overhaul of everything. All of this will be released in stages as the year progresses and until the last piece is out we can't even think about much else. This overhaul involves our entire staff. After it's done though we have numerous alumni upgrades already drafted and on the Task List, and oh about a couple hundred other things we want to do too. So it's all coming and it will all be way way cool, but the specific upgrades to the alumni system you're inquiring about are going to be awhile down the road yet. Sorry wish I had a better answer for you here but you're gunna love the stuff we're working on prior to your request.

Monday, January 24, 2011 at 10:18 PM - Response #2

OK, that is an honest answer that I would expect from Brad. Smile

Meanwhile, is there any suggested avenue to link those classes, without messing up the future. I could always provide a link to the other classes on each site, as I will very likely be Co Admin on all 3. I guess I would lose identity unless everyone had duplicate Profiles on each website though, which would be very confusing. Confused

It would be nice if a website could be interim 'multi year' but still be able to revert back to single year.

Dream on..... I guess. Seriously though, would I have any interim solutions that was reasonable?

LOL Brad. A programmer friend of mine when in a heavy project like you describe always says "there are 24 hours in the day, then there is the night'.............heh.

Edited 01/24/11 10:19 PM
Monday, January 24, 2011 at 11:07 PM - Response #3

Although we don't have the solution you are looking for there are a few things you can do now to give all classmates some additional access.

You could have everyone be a member of the multi-year site and have them use the URL link to link to their full profile on their individual sites if they want to keep their profile active on the single year rather than a duplicate or on the multi-year.

You can use the system password on each site to allow access to the classmate profiles and give all members of the multi-year site the system password used on the sub-sites. You would need to set the system password to include access to the profiles - you can do this under Edit Site Pages and the check box under System Password.

System Password:

Allow viewers with the System Password to access all restricted Classmate Profiles.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 12:17 AM - Response #4

Thanks Jessica, I will give that some thought. So I would just buy an extra license and create a Multi Site, for say a year, until the Alumni Page is available? Then essentially import everyone in to the Multi Year, using essentially as an Access website to individual years.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 11:33 AM - Response #5

Hi Derrell,

Your current site shows up as a milti-year site in our system so I assumed that would be the multi-site but I see that you are using that as a single year. You could always have each of the single year sites use the system passwords without having to have a multi-year central site for the time being.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 11:33 AM - Response #6

Hi Derrell,

Your current site shows up as a milti-year site in our system so I assumed that would be the multi-site but I see that you are using that as a single year. You could always have each of the single year sites use the system passwords without having to have a multi-year central site for the time being.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 11:44 AM - Response #7

Oh! That is weird as I have never ordered a Multi Year site (at least knowingly). Perhaps something occurred when I bought the Platinum for 10 years?

So, if I used each of the 3 single year sites to navigate to each other via the System Passwords, would a classmate be 'recognized' by name, or would it be something more generic since logging in with System Password. The idea would to be recognized and able to send/receive Message Center email, and be seen on Chat.

Edited 01/25/11 11:45 AM
Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 12:54 PM - Response #8

If you want them to be able to send/receive messages you would need to add them as guests and they would have to have a login.

One other way you could do it is to make each of the classes a multi year site with all of the classmates from your class under Classmate Profiles and all of the others listed as members using the Teacher Profiles page - you can rename the links Our Graduating Class and Teacher Profiles could be renamed "Surround years" or something else that denotes that they are from your school but not your class year.

I realize these are all workarounds - just trying to toss out some options.

Jessica

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 7:11 PM - Response #9

I may be up against a rock until the formal Alumni page is released. I am not in favor of making my classes Multi Year, as they can never go back to Single Year as i understand.

What would happen if on each of the 3 websites, if i made a Generic Guest member for each of the other 2 websites? For instance, on my Class of 1960, if i made 2 Guests....AHS Guest 1959 and AHS Guest 1961. I could give that ID and password to all involved (which is probably a potential Security issue).

I don't suspect with our relatively small classes,maybe 80-90 people, that there would be a big problem with multiple signed in at any one time with that ID.

Perhaps they could then use Message Center, starting with something like "HI, this is Joan, Class of 1959".

Edited 01/25/11 7:12 PM
Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 8:18 PM - Response #10

You could my concern would be that messages would not be private and how would they know when a message has been received - it only emails out to the email address for that login.

You could make everyone guests instead of have them under a separate page. I only mentioned the multi-year because it has Teacher Profiles that could be renamed.

You could add everyone that is not part of a class a guest and if they want to communicate they would need to login.

Jessica

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 at 8:28 PM - Response #11

I think my thick brain is now kicking in. If I made the site Multi Year, it opens Teacher profiles that could as you mention be renamed.

The site really would remain pure as a Single Year website, and reflect whatever I name it; i.e. Class of 1960!!!

Later, as the Alumni Page becomes active, could I delete all those Guests / Teacher profiles?

What this would mean is that classmates would need to maintain 2 or even 3 profiles. Can their profiles in their Main website be exported then imported on other website to save them that trouble? If so, I would need to do that regularly to reflect Profile updates I guess.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 1:20 PM - Response #12

We are still working out the details for how we will integrate information from the current sites. We have not worked out these details thusfar.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 1:28 PM - Response #13

Thanks! I just don't want to change my 1960 site to Multi Year. Don't see that helps me much, although I have never seen a sample Multi Year site, so I really wouldn't know.

Biggest deal seems like having Profile as Central somehow, not on all 3 sites.

I think I will just wait, but have to disappoint other classes that we can't "intermingle" just yet. At least I just am not understanding how they could (for message center and chat). They should be creating their sites in next few weeks for 1959 and 1961. I am going to be Co Admin for awhile on both those.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 1:31 PM - Response #14

http://www.sphsaa-classmates.org/class_index.cfm is an example of a Multi-Year site you can check out if you wish.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 1:32 PM - Response #15

Actually Scott, if I left my Class of 1960 as single year, bought similar for 1959 and 1961, and ALSO bought another installation as Multi Year configured as Alumni, does that allow linking. I could tube the Alumni site when the real Alumni page gets here.

What is involved for Profiles for special Alumni site linking to individual classes? I guess I am just not understanding that scenario yet.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 1:44 PM - Response #16

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

http://www.sphsaa-classmates.org/class_index.cfm is an example of a Multi-Year site you can check out if you wish.

Thanks Scott, that link clarified some things in my mind.

Question, does a classmate have to maintain a Profile on both the Alumni Site as well as their individual class site?

Can a class member of 1959, communicate with a class member of 1960, etc? I would assume that is done at the Alumni Site, not the individual class.

Depending upon creation of Profile, this might work???? Just buy yet another copy of the product for Alumni Site.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 2:11 PM - Response #17

Again - these details will need to be planned out, but the goal would be to integrate them so that only 1 profile would be maintained. The execution of such a plan has yet to be determined.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 2:22 PM - Response #18

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

Again - these details will need to be planned out, but the goal would be to integrate them so that only 1 profile would be maintained. The execution of such a plan has yet to be determined.

I understand the future Page. What I was asking in interim, if I bought another site, and labeled it as Alumni Page (like the example), would classes be able to communicate with each other at the Alumni SITE? I could not see Member Functions at the sample site of course. I am also assuming, right now, with that avenue that classmates would have profile in 2 places to enter (which if fine for now).

Just looking at the "present" functionality, not the next improvement.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 at 4:02 PM - Response #19

Oh - I see. No, not right now. That is part of the system that we intend to develop. Yes, everyone would have to become a member of the new site to communicate.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 1:15 PM - Response #20

Jessica Good wrote:

Although we don't have the solution you are looking for there are a few things you can do now to give all classmates some additional access.

You could have everyone be a member of the multi-year site and have them use the URL link to link to their full profile on their individual sites if they want to keep their profile active on the single year rather than a duplicate or on the multi-year.

You can use the system password on each site to allow access to the classmate profiles and give all members of the multi-year site the system password used on the sub-sites. You would need to set the system password to include access to the profiles - you can do this under Edit Site Pages and the check box under System Password.

System Password:

Allow viewers with the System Password to access all restricted Classmate Profiles.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Jessica, may I explore this suggestion a little more until I understand it. First, my site is now Multi Year, soon hope to import Class of 1959 names. Second, the Class of 1959 is also going to setup a whole new Individual Site for 1959, where ideally all Profiles would be stored.

I don't want them to have to store their Profiles in two places, so are you saying on the Multi site I could set up a URL (where), that Class of 1959 Profile on their Single Year site would be visible.

Way KEWL, if I understand you correctly. 1959 Could just join my Multi, and do what I was hoping until the Alumni Page enhancement is available.

Am I understanding your correctly? If so, tell me please exactly how to link URL.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 1:58 PM - Response #21

As the admin for the site you can add a custom profile question called URL or Link or anything you want to call it. Classmates who have profiles on their Individual class year sites can add in a link to their profile on the other site. The user clicking the link would still need to be a guest or classmate of the class site they are linking to in order to see any of the profiles that are "locked" using the Profile Visability check box as the locked status only allows members (classmate or guest members) of your class site to view your profile.

Have them create their profile on one of the sites and then use the custom question you have provided for the URL to link to their profile. They can determine the full link URL for their profile by going to their profile on the site and copying and pasting the URL in the address bar of their browser for that profile.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 12:25 AM - Response #22

Jessica Good wrote:

As the admin for the site you can add a custom profile question called URL or Link or anything you want to call it. Classmates who have profiles on their Individual class year sites can add in a link to their profile on the other site. The user clicking the link would still need to be a guest or classmate of the class site they are linking to in order to see any of the profiles that are "locked" using the Profile Visability check box as the locked status only allows members (classmate or guest members) of your class site to view your profile.

Have them create their profile on one of the sites and then use the custom question you have provided for the URL to link to their profile. They can determine the full link URL for their profile by going to their profile on the site and copying and pasting the URL in the address bar of their browser for that profile.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

We're getting there, eventually. My site is Multi as I mentioned before, and 1959 is currently busy building their site. I tested a little bit, this process, but realized I am not testing the full functionality.

It just comes up to access the 1959 Profile URL, with sign in ID/Password. I believe that I understood that the System Password would be needed.

System Password doesn't enter when accessing across URL, maybe because I am member of BOTH. So what is sign in process to URL for a 1961 classmate, co registered on 1960 Multi, to look at 1959 Classmate Profile? Am I testing this wrong, as I am not seeing to enter System Password?

Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 10:43 AM - Response #23

Wow, this is confusing. Okay - there needs to be a page on the other site that is password protected that the user hits. On that page, there is a location to enter a system password. But, without a password protected page, an unregistered user can't sign in.

Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 10:54 AM - Response #24

OK, thanks. That makes sense. Hopefully, I can make it less confusing to the classmates using this in the future.

Sure am anxious for the real Alumni Page Very Happy

Am I First in Line to Beta test that? LOL

Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 11:08 AM - Response #25

I'm sure as soon as we announce it, you'll be there. Smile

Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 6:27 PM - Response #26

Well, agree this was confusing, however, the end result is probably easier overall for both myself as Admin, as well as the classmates

Putting a URL link to the other website profile would be time consuming to get everyone, and it wouldn't work anyway. Goiing to Profile gives no opportunity to type in the System Password.

I wound up on the "receiving" single year site where the Profiles will be, making a Customizable Link, basically just as an access point. As suggested by Scott, I password protected that Link,but did not Activate it (then that Class Year doesn't have to concern with "what is this".

At my Multi Site, I also used a Customizable Link, but activated it, with title to Go To Class of 59.

Works just fine, and don't have to add URL to everyone's Profile. And, I think it will be secure as no one gets the System Password unless already a member.

Thursday, February 3, 2011 at 8:05 PM - Response #27

Derrell Pulis wrote:

Well, agree this was confusing, however, the end result is probably easier overall for both myself as Admin, as well as the classmates

Putting a URL link to the other website profile would be time consuming to get everyone, and it wouldn't work anyway. Goiing to Profile gives no opportunity to type in the System Password.

I wound up on the "receiving" single year site where the Profiles will be, making a Customizable Link, basically just as an access point. As suggested by Scott, I password protected that Link,but did not Activate it (then that Class Year doesn't have to concern with "what is this".

At my Multi Site, I also used a Customizable Link, but activated it, with title to Go To Class of 59.

Works just fine, and don't have to add URL to everyone's Profile. And, I think it will be secure as no one gets the System Password unless already a member.

This setup with the Cross Class Link done with a "Customizable Link" brings up a question. Each person using that will need the System Password for the "receiving" Class website. We thought of giving that System Password to each classmate as they request it.

However, since all my links, other than the necessary ones, are password protected, what would be any inherit dangers if on the Cusomized Link if I just said "Here is your password, type it in on the next screen".....Generally published it, as no one outside registered classmates see it.

I suppose, also should disclose "don't give this to anyone" but that would still be an issue if we made them individually request the System Password.

I am heavy on Security, what do you think. Whoa! maybe someone could write a little script and it just plugs the password and they never see it???? Very HappyVery Happy

Edited 02/03/11 8:06 PM
Friday, February 4, 2011 at 10:49 AM - Response #28

As long as the password is provided on a page that would have required the user to be logged in to view to begin with, I don't see an issue. You could decide to change that pw monthly, to keep it fresh. We're not at the point yet where we can generate a random pw, however that is a cool idea.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.