ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Help with links

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/09/08 08:59 PM Views: 1587 Replies: 14
Tuesday, September 9, 2008 at 8:59 PM

I'm sorry if this is a repetitive or silly question, but I really have no web experience. I would like to be able to click on a wordor picture and have it link to a different area of the site. Like if I say "help wanted" on the home page, I want people to be able to click on it and have it take them to the area of the site that describes it. Can't figure out the anchor/link thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 at 9:34 PM - Response #1

Hi Carrie,

First copy the address of the page you want the hyperlink go to. Go to your "Edit Pages" and open the page you want to put the link on. Then click on the picture or word(s) you want to use as the link. White dots should appear around it if it is a picture or it should be highlighted if it is text. Go to the "Insert/Edit Link" icon on the toolbar. (It looks like an earth with a link attached to it.) Click on it. A pop up window will appear. Paste the address of the page you copied in the bottom line labeled URL. Make sure the URL in the blank starts with the www not http:// as it is provided for you in the pop up box. So you probably will have to remove the http:// from your address in the URL blank. I hope this is not too confusing.
Anita

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 at 10:00 PM - Response #2

Awesome! Thank you sooooo much! It worked!

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 at 10:09 PM - Response #3

You're very welcome!

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 at 9:07 PM - Response #4

Can you tell me how to have a link open up in a new window?

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 at 9:49 PM - Response #5

Right click on the link and choose Image Properties.
Next to upload you will find a tab labeled "Link"
Click on it and choose "New Window" from the drop down menu and click "OK"
Anita

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 at 11:11 PM - Response #6

Thank you so much. That worked perfectly.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 at 11:19 PM - Response #7

It was my pleasure!
Have a great week!
Anita

Thursday, September 11, 2008 at 11:16 AM - Response #8

May I please ask one more question while I am at it? What is the "Insert edit anchor" button for?

Thursday, September 11, 2008 at 1:39 PM - Response #9

It's for linking text or a graphic on a page to a different spot on that same page.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 at 1:51 PM - Response #10

The ANCHOR is a great feature because it makes it easier to navigate to another spot right then and there. For example, in my class website I have a section with a description of our Church building (interior and exterior) at the bottom of one of the pages. So, in a previous section of the same page I have a reference to the beauty of the building and I went ahead and anchored that one to the actual description. The response has been great.

Friday, September 12, 2008 at 6:00 PM - Response #11

Morris Amato Villanueva wrote:

The ANCHOR is a great feature because it makes it easier to navigate to another spot right then and there. ...I went ahead and anchored that one to the actual description. The response has been great.

That works for me with links because they have a web address, but how do you get the anchor to move to another part of the same page; that is, how do you name a PART of a page?

If you have time to answer this, it will be fabulous, because none of our classmates ever seem to scroll down on our home page and the anchors would give the needed exposure!

Friday, September 12, 2008 at 10:31 PM - Response #12

First you put in the anchor at the spot you want to link to. Then on the text or graphic that you want to be the link, you just put a pound sign and then the name of the anchor for your link. So for example, if you named your anchor "stuffatbottom" you would link your text at the top to:

#stuffatbottom

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 10:05 AM - Response #13

I want to have my "link" words underlined when I am finished with my page. I have them underlined when I set it up, but them when I attach the link to the words, they change colors and the underline is gone. Any ideas on this??
Thanks,
Mike

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 5:30 PM - Response #14

The colors change only because you've already visted that page. The links will be blue for everybody else, until such time that they click the link.

The css style on your site is to not underline links. But you can pretty simply underline them yourself if you want to. Just select your link and then hit the underline icon. Or if you want to underline something that's not part of your editor, then just do this.

this text will be underlined

The tags around this text will underline the text when you save your page.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.