ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Memorializing Admin Functions

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/21/20 03:54 PM Views: 319 Replies: 3
Monday, December 21, 2020 at 3:54 PM

I have always admin'd my site alone. It occurs to me that in this time of Covid...and LOL, old age, I probably should have some way to turn the reins over to someone else, if needed. I'd prefer not to give anyone else full access to the site as long as I am able. Is there a function on the site that would allow me to do that, or if not does anyone have another suggestion?

Edited 12/22/20 11:42 PM
Monday, December 21, 2020 at 4:12 PM - Response #1

Hi Ruth,

You can email info@classcreator.com with the name of your site and the individual or individuals you would like to take over. We are looking at adding something where the root admin can note this themselves. For now you can just email it to me using your registered root admin email address and we will add it to our internal notes for hopefully a very very very long time Smile

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Tuesday, December 22, 2020 at 9:02 AM - Response #2

That's a good start, Jessica. Thanks. It's a subject we've broached a few times before.

Like Ruth, I am a lone Admin.

If you're a fairly young site with other Admins and young people willing to take over the reins the 'chain' could go on for a number of years. The problems I see lie with a website like mine. We're all of a similar age now, the youngest being close to 70 so nominating someone to hand down to is not going to be easy. Then there's the question of paying CC for hosting the site when I've gone and paying for the Domain Name.

In my situation, if I go before most of the others I know the site could revert to an 'Ads' site if CC don't receive their usual payment but it's not what I/we want to happen and presumably results in the problem of just about anyone being able to join the site if no one's around to vet them first and confirm they're eligible to join which is how I operate at the moment.

The reality with a site of Old Age Pensioner members, like mine, is that the older we get the less likely anyone else is going to want to take over the running of the site and the cost involved. It will probably die a natural death but it would be nice if it didn't have to and all the hard work of Admins is preserved.

I have three children, and have prepared and saved an Email The Class message to be sent out to all my members when I die. Instructions on how to access it are pinned by my computer. I've made them aware of this and what I'd like them to do when I'm not around. It may be that they'll decide to take on the mantle themselves but they're under no obligation to do so.

It's probably not a subject many will want to address just yet but to my mind the quicker Admins do so the better for all concerned.

Edited 12/23/20 6:14 AM
Tuesday, December 22, 2020 at 8:33 PM - Response #3

Thank you, Jessica. This is an excellent start for dealing with this topic.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.