ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Photo Game

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/08/21 12:54 PM Views: 831 Replies: 18
Thursday, July 8, 2021 at 12:54 PM

I am the class of 1964...75 yo...and not to tech savvy. How do I post a grade school class photo and let my classmates enter the names of the students?

Thursday, July 8, 2021 at 9:52 PM - Response #1

Hi Greg,

That is an interesting question. I'm not sure this is the best solution, perhaps others will join in, but one thought is to use the Survey Maker to create a survey. Upload the class photo, ask people to identify the people and use a Comment Box for them to be able to provide answers. Be sure to set the survey to allow classmates to view the results.

Alternately, you could post the photo on the Home Page and ask people to respond on What's New, however the Survey will keep all the answers in one spot and What's New, you'd have to chase them all down as they move around.

Friday, July 9, 2021 at 2:07 AM - Response #2

Hi Greg,
Click on the link below to see if that is what you are looking for. I got the picture from your website. It is basically done -

Your text to link here...

Phil Nelson

Friday, July 9, 2021 at 10:28 AM - Response #3

Thanks Gary I will look into both...

Friday, July 9, 2021 at 10:29 AM - Response #4

Phil that is exactly what I am looking to do...how do I accomplish that? And thanks so much!!

Friday, July 9, 2021 at 1:12 PM - Response #5

Wonderful job Phil! I see you're using Jotform.com to accomplish that. I wasn't familiar with them, but I see they have a free version available. So the "Name the Kids" link on your site takes us to the jotform site where the photo resides? Very nice presentation!

Friday, July 9, 2021 at 1:25 PM - Response #6

I agree Gary...but alas so far you two are way above my pay grade...how am I to use this link?

Friday, July 9, 2021 at 1:37 PM - Response #7

Greg, I sent you a message via your website "Contact Us" form. Don't worry - the process is very easy. Ten minutes should do it.

Friday, July 9, 2021 at 1:47 PM - Response #8

Hi Gary, yes, the sample form was done in Jotform. We have lots of contests on our website and the majority of them are done in either Jotform (the best) or Typeform. The best thing about Jotform is that it has MANY Application Program Interfaces (APIs)that allow sharing data with other programs - like databases.

Edited 07/09/21 1:48 PM
Friday, July 9, 2021 at 2:25 PM - Response #9

Greg Ehrhardt wrote:

so how am I to use this link?

I see Phil sent you a link that will probably explain it, and a follow up as I was composing this, but for anyone that might run across this thread in the future, don't feel bad, it's above me also, but what I'd suggest (and perhaps Phil will elaborate) is to follow the link and sign up for the free version of the Jotform program Phil mentioned, and just try it out. I suspect that many of us on classcreator learned by the trial and (many) errors method LOL.

Don't worry, it's usually hard to break something on either our site or the Jotform site, although you may wish to create a New Page to Test on first. If you mess the test page up to badly, you can always delete it. If your trial works, copy and paste it into the real page.

I suspect Jotform will have directions that go something like this: 1) Name your form, 2) upload your photo, 3) add text, 4) save and they will probably present you with a link to what you just created.

Save that link. Go to Edit Pages on your website and select the page where you would like the link to appear. Type some text, perhaps "Can you help name the students?" then highlight that text.

Next, click the link icon in the top list of editing options, (the top left section that begins SOURCE) the link icon is on the second row, the 3rd one from the far right end, the one that sort of looks like a link in a chain.

Click that, a window will open a new window that says LINK and has a box that says URL. Copy the link that Jotform gave you by highlighting it and press and hold the Control key while you hit the letter C. This will Copy the link. Then, move back to your classcreator page, click in the URL box and Paste by holding down the Control Key and hitting V to paste. This will place the Jotform link into the URL box. Next, and this is just my personal preference, but if you look at the top of the "Link Window" that opened, at the top is a tab that says Target. Click on that and then on the drop down arrow by the "target not set". One of the options will be "New Window (-blank)" and click that one.

What this does is that when the link on your page is clicked, this will open a new window and take then there. The reason I like this is that when they are done, they can close the window and still be back at your website. Without this, they leave your site completely. Now many will remember to hit the "back" arrow, but not all will.

Hope this helps.

Friday, July 9, 2021 at 2:42 PM - Response #10

OMG..Oh My Gary...this is so much help. I really apologize for my ignorance, but I see these things working and really want them for my classmates...the hard part is they are ALL as old as me....hahahaha

Friday, July 9, 2021 at 6:20 PM - Response #11

Greg Ehrhardt wrote:

I really apologize for my ignorance

Oh no, don't apologize. Possibly 97% of everyone here started just the way you're starting, and that is knowing literally NOTHING about building a website. The remaining 3% do this kind of thing professionally or at least related computer work, and even they were at this point at some time in their life. The key is to just try it, that's the best way to learn, that way you can take little bites at a time.

One thing that I'd recommend, create a page on your website, but don't post it to the class. Any time you learn something, save the instructions to that page, because I can almost guarantee you that if you need to do it again in a year, you'll be glad you did. Ask me how I know. LOL

Phil had a great solution.

I'm still curious though and hoping that someone with more experience than I will weigh in with another way to do this without having to use outside software (it can sometimes disappear unexpectedly). I can't help thinking there should be additional ways to accomplish this within classcreator.

Edited 07/09/21 6:26 PM
Friday, July 9, 2021 at 9:48 PM - Response #12

There are a number of ways to accomplish what Greg is wanting to do. A simple method is to place a photo on a Class Creator web page or announcement and ask classmates to respond by email identifying the photo's contents. A link to a sample is below. The second link is using Jotform.

Edited 07/09/21 9:59 PM
Saturday, July 10, 2021 at 11:35 AM - Response #13

I love the link to Jotform...I will change the grade schools over to galleries in prep for this link.

Sunday, July 11, 2021 at 12:32 AM - Response #14

This is a great thread! Though I am too tired to make a sample page, I hope to remember this tomorrow!

I used Jotform back in 2010 and am thrilled to see another way to use it. Of course, there are many

Thanks for the info shared above!

Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at 10:15 AM - Response #15

Gwen can you help with my email problem? I am platinum and repointed my domain and told CC back on 7/5 and have heard nothing and have no email...very concerning!! Can you help in any way?

Wednesday, August 4, 2021 at 8:44 PM - Response #16

Hi Greg, I hope you heard back from Class Creator by now. You have, right?

Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 5:17 PM - Response #17

Hi Phil, I came looking for others experience with JotForm and when I try your examples, JotForm gives me "404" (page not found) errors...

Cheers, Allen.

Sunday, February 12, 2023 at 5:49 PM - Response #18

Hi Allen, since that was just an example for Greg I deleted the form to use it's space elsewhere (JotForm is licensed by the number of forms used). We use JotForm for all kinds of stuff so if you ever need some examples - just let me know.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.