ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Profile Update Confusion

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/15/14 09:31 AM Views: 865 Replies: 10
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Here's an email I received from one of our alumni members that illustrates this issue. Please chime in with your opinion:

Hi Bruce,

OK - I agree that the site is working as you explain, but it is a bit confusing.

The email I received indicated that there was an update to her profile. And my first confusion is that I would assume that she would be the only one who could update her profile. I would be interested to read any update that she might have made - but I couldn't care less about a comment made by somebody else. I don't think that is worthy of sending out emails to all her classmates, but if you want to leave it as is, then at the least, the email [notice] should read "someone has made a comment to her profile" in the announcement.

And my other point of confusion is that I would not consider the four entries on her page [a bare minimum profile page] as a "profile", and the page does not list it as a profile. That's why I spent many minutes trying every button and link to find her "profile".

Regards,

Bob

[Should posts by other classmates, for instance, wishing someone happy birthday, be considered a profile update? Should they go out as notices at all? Mary and I don't think they should be, nor does this classmate. Maybe when a classmate adds a comment to someones profile page the email notice could indicate, "So-and-so made a comment on so-and-so's profile page" vs. "so-and-so updated her profile".

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 at 3:20 PM - Response #1

I believe the comments are noted on the "What's New" page and am interested as to why they would be considered a 'profile update'. This shared, I have not received a notice of a profile update that was a comment. Perhaps your classmate has something clicked under Notify Me they may wish to change? Waiting for CC Support to reply...

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 at 4:38 PM - Response #2

Gwen,
As an administrator, I want to know when anything happens on our website. It is the only way to know what type of activity is most popular with my classmates. Yes I use Google Analytics too. When someone adds comments to a classmate's profile page, I receive an email stating "Profile Update. "Brad Pitt" received comments." I don't know if all classmates get this email or only admins. Perhaps the wording could be changed, but certainly anyone can opt-out of such emails if they wish. No, Brad Pitt is not old enough to have graduated with our class. Smile

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM - Response #3

I don't have the What's New page activated, but my notification will read as a Profile Update and include "received comments" in parenthesis.

To find the comment, one then must scroll through the entire profile page looking for the most recent date/time stamp (i.e., 22 hours ago, 4 days ago, etc.) to see what comment was made.

Edited 07/15/14 4:47 PM
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 at 5:35 PM - Response #4

I agree. It's very annoying to have to check every single entry made by every classmate. I as the administrator get notifications on every posting. I have enough to do without checking out what the post was about, especially when it's just birthday wishes. And while we are on the subject, I find it a little invasive that all postings to a classmate from another show up. I liked it better when it was all private.

Arlene Hunsinger
Hatboro-Horsham High School Class of 1962

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 at 5:42 PM - Response #5

I agree...I don't need to know when people make comments or happy birthday to people I am NOT following. I get enough emails as the Root Admin. I do subscribe to notify me on some alumni. Can we get this changed????
Another thing about the notify me thing. I noticed that again that all over 500 want to be notified of changes on most of all the webpages...did it get reset again a while ago???

Edited 07/15/14 5:58 PM
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 at 6:13 PM - Response #6

You don't get emails for anyone you're NOT following. If you are let me know, but you certainly shouldn't be.

No nothing regarding Notify Me has been reset in quite awhile. In fact no further resets or anything of the sort should ever happen from here.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 at 6:38 PM - Response #7

Okay..I will check out my notifies...to see what is going on!!!Rolling EyesQuestion

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 at 7:56 PM - Response #8

I agree with you Arlene. I liked the privacy of just leaving a private message. Most of the posts are out of context and you don't know what they are talking about. I don't think a Happy Birthday or comment should generate a update of a profile email. Can that be changed easily???
Arlene Hunsinger wrote:

I agree. It's very annoying to have to check every single entry made by every classmate. I as the administrator get notifications on every posting. I have enough to do without checking out what the post was about, especially when it's just birthday wishes. And while we are on the subject, I find it a little invasive that all postings to a classmate from another show up. I liked it better when it was all private.

Arlene Hunsinger
Hatboro-Horsham High School Class of 1962

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 at 11:22 PM - Response #9

Another part of the problem is that there's absolutely nothing which tells you what was updated when you do get a notify that someone you're following has updated their profile. I just got one (profile updated), clicked on the link, logged in, and found the latest comment was 10 weeks old, there were no new photos, and I don't see anything in the question/answer verbiage I recognise as new. Even the little yellow box at the top saying the profile had been updated since I last looked which used to be there was not there. But it does show up in the home page's Profile Updated box.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 at 11:33 PM - Response #10

I agree with you...maybe CC can do something aobut all this confusion with the updates. Comments 10 wks or days is no reason to trigger an update email.
John Ralph wrote:

Another part of the problem is that there's absolutely nothing which tells you what was updated when you do get a notify that someone you're following has updated their profile. I just got one (profile updated), clicked on the link, logged in, and found the latest comment was 10 weeks old, there were no new photos, and I don't see anything in the question/answer verbiage I recognise as new. Even the little yellow box at the top saying the profile had been updated since I last looked which used to be there was not there. But it does show up in the home page's Profile Updated box.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.