ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Classmate Profile suggestion

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 03/26/09 05:34 PM Views: 3317 Replies: 5
Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I would like to suggest a "Admin Comments" on the profile section for a classmate. This field would be similar to the "Classmate Notes" field on the DETAILS page (meaning that the classmate wouldn't ever see it as a profile question or be able to change it), but this "Admin Comments" would be displayable to anyone who views the classmate profile.

The reason for this field could be to explain why a guest member was added or why the Admin had to fill out the profile (Classmate is in Iraq, Classmate is hospitalized, etc.). If the Admin didn't make any comments then this field would not display.

The field would need to be edited by the admin after the classmate's profile has been added. This field would also need to move up/down in the order of profile questions in the profile generator.

I COULD use the "Profile: Comments" field, but this field is editable by the classmate and could be removed. It also says "What have you been up to since graduation?" as the hint, so it is meant to be filled out by the classmate.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 6:53 PM - Response #1

Kyle Erickson wrote:

I would like to suggest a "Admin Comments" on the profile section for a classmate. This field would be similar to the "Classmate Notes" field on the DETAILS page (meaning that the classmate wouldn't ever see it as a profile question or be able to change it), but this "Admin Comments" would be displayable to anyone who views the classmate profile.

The reason for this field could be to explain why a guest member was added or why the Admin had to fill out the profile (Classmate is in Iraq, Classmate is hospitalized, etc.). If the Admin didn't make any comments then this field would not display.

The field would need to be edited by the admin after the classmate's profile has been added. This field would also need to move up/down in the order of profile questions in the profile generator.

I COULD use the "Profile: Comments" field, but this field is editable by the classmate and could be removed. It also says "What have you been up to since graduation?" as the hint, so it is meant to be filled out by the classmate.

I think that's a good idea...a field that would only appear if there was a note there, though? Not neccessary to reflect as blank space if it isn't being used.

Edited 03/26/09 6:55 PM
Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 6:57 PM - Response #2

It's an interesting idea. I guess the only concern I have here is somebody's Profile is theirs. Do they want an Admin comment on it? I can see at least in some cases an Admin making a comment that the Classmate doesn't want, and is now stuck with. I'm wondering if an alternative would be to simply edit the Classmate's Profile and post your comment. Or write your comment and ask the Classmate to post it? For now anyway that may be the best alterantive, as it'll probably be some time before we have time for it anyway. Lots to do. Smile

Sunday, October 4, 2009 at 11:29 AM - Response #3

Brad Switzer wrote:

It's an interesting idea. I guess the only concern I have here is somebody's Profile is theirs. Do they want an Admin comment on it? I can see at least in some cases an Admin making a comment that the Classmate doesn't want, and is now stuck with. I'm wondering if an alternative would be to simply edit the Classmate's Profile and post your comment. Or write your comment and ask the Classmate to post it? For now anyway that may be the best alterantive, as it'll probably be some time before we have time for it anyway. Lots to do. Smile

There was a recent request for a field like this to display "Alumni Association Dues".

I think that a good enhancement would be to have a Profile Generator option to have an Admin Edit Only field that is talked about above.

ALSO a good idea for Profile Generator is an option for PRIVATE Admin Edit Only field - for displaying something private for the member's eyes only - which might be for "Alumni Association Dues - OVER DUE" , or something that the admin wouldn't want all of the other classmates to see.

Sunday, October 4, 2009 at 11:43 AM - Response #4

My concern here is one of complexity. Profile Generator is already hard enough to use for a lot of people, now throw in new functionality such as having fields that are editable by Admins only (which could cause a lot of frustration for members if over used), fields that are there but only visible to the member, think of all the extra buttons and explanations we'd need to add to make this possible, and I become concerned we're going to muck it up too much, particularly for newer people here.

For the Dues, that may be better created as a stand alone dues module. We could always have it display on Profiles, but it would run and be editable as a stand alone Dues module.

For awhile now I've thought we're going to need to create an "Advanced" link for Admins. The Advanced area would be an area where you can add extra stuff to the existing functions, such as the items above. It would be for experienced users to turn on, while not interfering with the regular functionality on the page that new users need.

Edited 10/04/09 11:57 AM
Sunday, October 4, 2009 at 11:53 AM - Response #5

The "Dues" module would also be useful for the "Family Reunion" type websites that some admins are creating.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.