ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Suggestions for the In Memory Page

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/26/09 05:11 PM Views: 2440 Replies: 24
Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Does anyone have any creative ideas on how to 'spruce up' the In Memory page? I only have 1 name on my page, but I think that a plain white screen is a little bland. I don't want to put any music on the page, because I have music on two other pages...looking for visual things to add.

Thanks in advance!

Vicki

Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 5:52 PM - Response #1

Paste this at the top of the page. It's candles that are flickering.

Then I do a search for a copy of their obituary and post it. Then leave a comment maybe. That way they will have a rose after their name. I posted the OSU song for an OSU fan. His obit said that he was a huge fan.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 6:04 PM - Response #2

Ann Wise wrote:

Then I do a search for a copy of their obituary and post it. Then leave a comment maybe. That way they will have a rose after their name. I posted the OSU song for an OSU fan. His obit said that he was a huge fan.

Ann

I just noticed the link that you gave Vicki. I'm honored so many have copied the candles from me.

Vicki
Also, maybe a poem would go nice on your memory page. Just a thought.

DawnVery Happy

Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 6:11 PM - Response #3

Hi,
There's a candle and a poem in mine. See if you like it.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 6:20 PM - Response #4

Does anyone know of a website to search for obits? One that doesn't cost, preferably.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 6:42 PM - Response #5

Dawn Gibbs wrote:

Ann Wise wrote:

Ann

I just noticed the link that you gave Vicki. I'm honored so many have copied the candles from me.

Vicki
Also, maybe a poem would go nice on your memory page. Just a thought.

DawnVery Happy

Thank you, Ann and Dawn! I like the candles...now I just need something else. Unfortunately, the white background on the candles kind of blends into the bland whiteness of the page itself...needs something to stand out.

Any other ideas out there?!?!?!

Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 6:56 PM - Response #6

I found what I think is a very good picture to add to the Memory Page. I also added a some music in the background. Check out our site with the sound on and tell me what you think. Also, check out Danny Freeman with the sound on.
I just checked on the candles, they are great!!

Edited 03/26/09 6:59 PM
Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 7:04 PM - Response #7

I am so happy to have seen this post! I saw the flickering candles when I was reading all the posts one night and logged out without writing the link down. I have been searching for this plug in for a week now! I sure hope you don't mind me "borrowing" it for our page.
By the way, your site looks great! I am just getting started and find it addicting.

Janet Laughing

Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 7:11 PM - Response #8

I have flickering candles with a rose at the base... Goes along with the rose by their name..

Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 7:18 PM - Response #9

I put some lovely music from our era - just orchestral - nothing morose. Then I added a slide show using PhotoBucket in which the images show in alph order. As each image displays, it zooms in a bit on the face. I used the "sparkle" background which looks better than it sounds.

On each person's profile page, there is a ribbon representing the cause of death (breast and other cancers, military), along with some details of their passing - often takien from the obit. We add some details of their life and family when available. When there is no cause of death, those people have a photo of a white rose.

Diana

Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 7:22 PM - Response #10

Dawn I hope you don't mind I copied your candles. I needed something and it was just what I was looking for. I like your poem idea too. I am now on a mission.. For searching obits I checked several places and they were all free. I started with Ohio.com. for our state and there was a place to look up obits. If I didn't find them there I checked with the libraries resources. There is a reasearch data base that is available my just using your library card. On that site there is America's Obituaries and Death notices. (also ResearchUSA for finding addresses) I also found some in the paper archives online or our library had newspapers on fishe that I had to search for. Someone else on the forum was offering to look up deased classmates on a site they paid for you might want to check with them too.

Edited 03/26/09 7:23 PM
Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 7:32 PM - Response #11

Ann

I don't mind at all that you copied it. In the past when I want copies of the obit I go to the funeral home website (if they have one) most do now days. Search for your persons name and the obit is right there. This is normally the info that was supplied to local papers etc. Another is if they past in the town you live in, check your local Archives office.

Dawn

Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 9:03 PM - Response #12

Hi Vicki...
I have a few things I didn't see here on my In Memory Pages...and also dressed up the classmates individual pages as well. Feel free to take a look and use anything you find that you like!Smile

Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 9:22 PM - Response #13

You can try this site. It sort of works.
http://www.obituaries.com/Obits.asp

Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 10:33 PM - Response #14

I put a background and a poem on the main In Memory page. On each individual page I put a monument with a red rose (the class flower). You're welcome to take a look.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 11:36 PM - Response #15

The monument looks great in each page. How were you able to change the names and dates?

Thanks,
Debbie

Friday, March 27, 2009 at 10:02 AM - Response #16

I found the monument on the Internet & used PhotoImpact software to add the text and the rose. You could use any photo editing software. I have 3 different versions of the monument. One is plain, nothing on it, one with pink roses & the one with the red rose. You could actually put any flower on there you wanted. I also added the dove. If you would like any of these, or any combination, let me know & I will email them to you.

George

Friday, March 27, 2009 at 2:18 PM - Response #17

George Fredrick Ballard wrote:

I put a background and a poem on the main In Memory page. On each individual page I put a monument with a red rose (the class flower). You're welcome to take a look.

George,
Very nice. I wish I could get the hang of the items that you can add text to...
Vicki

Friday, March 27, 2009 at 2:58 PM - Response #18

If you want to use any of the combinations I mentioned above, let me know which you want & send me the text info you want to add & I'll do it for you, then email it to you.

Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 3:11 PM - Response #19

I copied your flickering candles and went into edit on the In Memory page and pasted it. It did not give me the flickering candles, only the address I copied. I'm kinda ignorant on things like this. What am I doing wrong?

Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 3:18 PM - Response #20

I really liked your background of the roses and poem on the In Memory page. Also, the music was nice. Can you tell me how to do that? I really, really need help!

Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 4:03 PM - Response #21

The flickering candles I got from someone else's site. You need to right click on them & save them to your computer. Then go into your editor on the In Memory page & upload the image. Then it will appear on your page. If you can't get it to work from my instructions, there are plenty of people on these forums who will be willing to help you.

Sunday, March 29, 2009 at 4:07 PM - Response #22

You can do the poem in the rose frame the same way as the flickering candles. Right click on the picture & save it to your computer. Then go into the editor on your In Memory page & upload the image.
The music is from Playlist.com. I have the height & width set to 0 so the player doesn't show, but the music plays. If you need more detailed instructions, let me know.

Monday, March 30, 2009 at 5:58 PM - Response #23

Stephanie Graham wrote:

I copied your flickering candles and went into edit on the In Memory page and pasted it. It did not give me the flickering candles, only the address I copied. I'm kinda ignorant on things like this. What am I doing wrong?

Stephanie,

Make sure that you click the 'Source' button before you paste the code/address. Then you can hit 'Source' again after you paste it and it will show up.

Vicki

Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 6:06 PM - Response #24

I have a beautiful photo of an angel. I wanted to be different than all you candle guys!!! Wink

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.