ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

In Memory Questions

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 07/27/13 08:42 AM Views: 1145 Replies: 7
Saturday, July 27, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Now that we are able to rename pages, I've changes the name of the old In Memory page to In Memoriam. Unforunately, notifications that go out to Classmates still refer to the page as In Memory. Is there any way to change this?

I'd also like to know how to add a name to the In Memoriam page for a Classmate who didn't actually register for the website. Is it possible to do so without the name appearing on the Missing Classmates list?

Thanks

Saturday, July 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM - Response #1

Hi Mark,

CC will have to address the email issue.

The member you want to add to In Memoriam needs to be in your class list. Then you can add them. They do not have to have registered on the site.

Have a good weekend!

Added: Remember, the key is your class list; not the Missing Classmate list.

Edited 07/27/13 12:12 PM
Saturday, July 27, 2013 at 12:50 PM - Response #2

Thanks, Gwen.

I was aware of having to add the Classmate to the Class List before being able to make them deceased, as it were, but unless I do the In Memoriam entry as soon as I add them to the list there's a slight chance someone will Log In when I enter them on the Class List, see the name, and assume they've applied to register. I'd like to avoid that happening, however unlikely.

Saturday, July 27, 2013 at 1:11 PM - Response #3

Um... I think I understand. Is this right...

A classmate applies to register on your site? When accepted, you add their name to the list. Is that how you add members? It may be the way to verify that I have been searching for, Mark.

Saturday, July 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM - Response #4

That's correct, Gwen. I use that method. No names go on the list until someone asks for it to be added. Once I've verified it's probably a genuine former pupil (our school closed in 1970), I add it to the list and they complete their Profile. I do further checks and approve the application to join, or not. It's long winded but I don't get any lurking time wasters.

Because I do it this way the name I've added goes onto the Missing Classmates List until the Profile is completed or it's added to the In Memoriam page.

Saturday, July 27, 2013 at 5:01 PM - Response #5

I like it, Mark. Now you have me wondering what 'further checks' I could do.

Now if we only had a way to store our lists behind the scenes so we could make someone 'active' upon verification. Hm. I will be thinking about this.Thanks!

Saturday, July 27, 2013 at 5:35 PM - Response #6

Gwen,

If you do go down that route don't forget to change your settings in Preferences. Under Classmate Join Options change to 'Allow only Classmates I have pre-entered to join site' and under New Classmate Verifcation check 'Do Not Allow etc'.

The only slight problem you might experience is if, after you've entered a name, the Classmate takes a while before getting round to creating their Profile. Whilst their name lingers on the Classmate Profiles list someone else might spot it there and take a chance and try registering as that person.

As our school closed in 1970 and I am only in possession of some of our, what we called, School Lists that list pupil names for a particular year, it's not always possible to be absolutely sure of who joined the school and when they joined. I ask any I'm a little suspicious about to tell me the years they were at the school so that even if I don't have the lists for those years I am giving them the impression that perhaps I do and will be checking to see if what they say is correct. I'll also contact other members from the same year (or close enough to it to maybe be able to remember the name)to see if they can recall the person.

I keep my School Lists in PDF form on my website's Pupil Names and Photos page. I can access them easily to check the names of people who have applied to register, and because it's a Password protected page no one can see the names until they've been verified and approved for regsitration.

Saturday, July 27, 2013 at 5:50 PM - Response #7

Thanks for the info, Mark! I use the Admin Forums on our sites to hide things. Those are the forums under Admin Functions meant to be used by all site admins. It is a great place to store things. In this case, I was simply thinking a one click move. Wink

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.