ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

File Vault Use

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/05/10 12:25 AM Views: 1463 Replies: 7
Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 12:25 AM

I have my file vault filled almost to capacity (196+mb). Since I have not noticed others with this issue, I am thinking that maybe I am not using it correctly. At this time, I have a number of gifs in it that are in use on the site pages, and a number that are not, but I plan to use later. Additionally, I have a large number of photos from older Yearbooks that I have used in a page that I call Nostalgia (I created this page before we had the great Photo Galaries). I want to add more old photos to the site, but that will go over my File Vault capacity. Can you give me some guidance? Edd

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 12:42 AM - Response #1

Edd,

After you exceed your File Vault capacity, you will be offered to purchase more. If you don't want to do that, you can delete duplicate photos that aren't being used, you can upload the photos to a different website or internet file storage space (maybe www.photobucket.com or something like that) and then reference the photos that are stored there.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 7:33 PM - Response #2

Thanks, Kyle. Frankly, I have no problem with paying for more space, I just want to be sure that I am using what I have, efficiently. So, correct me if I am wrong about the following. The photos that I use on the website can be stored at a location other than the File Vault. If this is correct, when I copy a photo from its offsite location and paste it on the website, I am really pasting in the pathway to the photo, so the location of the photo does not have to be the File Vault.

Please understand that I am not trying to get around using the File Vault, in fact I am sure that I will just purchase more space, so I can keep everything together. I just want to better understand what I am doing. Edd

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 7:42 PM - Response #3

Sorry, I reread your reply and think that I now understand what you were saying. Photos will still need to be in the File Vault to be present on the website pages, but I can store other photos (that can't fit into my File Vault), at offsite locations and direct classmates there to see them.

Will I automatically be prompted to purchase more space when I exceed, or do I need to contact ClassCreator and purchase it first?

Edd

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 9:05 PM - Response #4

If you run out of space just click your Subscription link and you'll see an option there to purchase more File Vault space. The cost is $3/mo. in 50 meg increments.

I want to make sure you're clear on the answer to your question: You absolutely can reference photos stored on other web sites. Just include the full path to the photo and the photo will pull right in and embed on your page. That's perfectly fine with us, you can pull in anything you want from other web sites. It's entirely up to you what you wish to pull in.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 9:19 PM - Response #5

Brad Switzer wrote:

Just include the full path to the photo and the photo will pull right in and embed on your page. That's perfectly fine with us, you can pull in anything you want from other web sites. It's entirely up to you what you wish to pull in.

In my experience, there are some photo and image storage sites that are glad to have you LINK to your images AT THEIR SITE, but block you from pulling your images onto another site.

Test before you upload a bunch of pictures on any site.

Here's an example: Link to the screen capture: http://screencast.com/t/YWE3NTYxND

But try to bring the image in from screencast's website:

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 at 5:52 PM - Response #6

Thanks Brad. I'm still working on it (but not very fast). I will try and find some other site storage area first; then if necessary, bite the bullet and purchase the extra space. Edd

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 at 5:54 PM - Response #7

Sorry to get back to you so late. My website work time has been limited by my day job. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion. I still have the issue, so will try your suggestion out, and see what happens. Edd

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.