ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Classmate profile blocking

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 03/25/09 09:55 PM Views: 3341 Replies: 9
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Unfortunately, I have to ask this question..is there an option for a classmate to BLOCK another classmate from comments, contacting, etc...? we received an email from one of our classmates who reported that he was being harrassed from another classmate. We do not want him to cancel his account, but we'd like to be able to give an option? Thanks.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 at 10:12 PM - Response #1

Hmmm. We have an upcoming "no contact" option we'll be adding, although it's more of a global no contact option that will prevent any Classmates from making contact. There's been a couple scenarios why people have needed that. Here's a case where you want to block one specific person from sending an email to another specific person. We have no option like that planned. Even if we did I think it would end up going further. I.E. should that person be permitted to post a comment under the Classmate's Profile? Should that person be prohibited from participating in the message forum? A comment could be made about the Classmate there too. Although I understand your desire to do that here, it kind of starts going against the whole purpose of the class web site. Thus, I'm leaning toward you requesting directly to this indivdual to "cut it out" and discontinue bothering one of your Classmates. It seems to me that would be a more effective approach anyway than just all of a sudden blocking him from this and/or other areas of the site. If you politely request he stop this and he continues to do it anyway, I really think you'd be better off blocking the individual from the entire site, not from contacting just one person. I'd give him fair warning first obviously. If you can't follow the rules of the site, then you can't follow the rules of the site. If you ignore the police request from your own site Administrator to stop it, then you risk having access to the site at all. Classmates don't have the inherent right to participate on your web site. In fact it's quite the opposite -- you have the inherent right to prevent an individual from jeapardizing your site. Maybe it's only an issue with one Classmate at the moment, but what is somebody like this going to do next? I think now's the time you need to law down some rules with this person. Or so it seems to me. If anybody has some other ideas/solutions for this, or have encountered a similar situation, please let us know how you handled it.

Edited 03/25/09 10:15 PM
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 at 10:18 PM - Response #2

wow--thanks for the fast response!! we agree with you and are looking into this incident. We have already discussed what you suggested because this is a site to reconnect and have fun. the high school days of harrassing and picking on others is long gone! i will surely pass your response on to the "committee"..and thanks again

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 at 10:52 PM - Response #3

It is a very difficult thing to do and we all hoped that some people had changed since HS. Unfortunately, this person hasn't and finally after asking nice had to ban someone from the site. Sorry you are having to deal with it but sometimes it is better to cut your losses and frustrations.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 at 11:00 PM - Response #4

Ditto.
We ditched someone from the site as well.
One warning, do it again, and we will remove you from the site.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 at 11:21 PM - Response #5

You could also try a more positive approach and address the whole class. For instance, early on with our site I posted a note on our Message Forum as a response to some inquiries as to the future of our site once our reunion was over. Among other things, I told everyone that, "I am committed to our class and to the future of our site, providing there's continued interest and it remains fun for all." After that posting, a couple of classmates cleaned up their profile pages of some mean-spirited remarks that they made and it's been a polite place ever since. By stating it in this way, it keeps it more friendly, yet, your classmates will know where you stand on the issue and that you have the power to pull the plug if you feel it's necessary. Now, I know this doesn't exactly address the one individual who's doing the harrassing; but, maybe give this approach a shot first and if the harrassment continues, then confront that person... or depending on how bad the harrassment, don't! They may decide to come after you next! Just delete that loose cannon of a classmate from your Profiles. You're better off not getting into it with them and if they try to contact you, ignore 'em... and don't admit that you pulled the plug on their access. You might also want to consider blocking your Message Forum from the public to keep him/her from lurking around. In this day and age, you can never be too careful and there was an article just today in my town's newspaper on the rise of internet stalkings and such. So, why take the chance....

Just my thoughts and good luck with the "loose cannon."

Sandie Smile

Edited 03/25/09 11:25 PM
Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 12:12 AM - Response #6

I just want to let you know that you have one of the most fantastic school sites I have seen. I enjoy checking it from time to time. I'm sure everyone enjoys your creativity.

Libann

Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 12:24 AM - Response #7

Betty Houchins wrote:

I just want to let you know that you have one of the most fantastic school sites I have seen. I enjoy checking it from time to time. I'm sure everyone enjoys your creativity.

Libann

If your comment was directed toward me... well, thank you so very much. I'll have to check out your site, too... and, as I'm sure you can relate, it's feedback like yours which keeps me motivated; however, these Class Creator sites really should come with a warning to administrators that says, "HIGHLY ADDICTIVE!" Laughing

Edited 03/26/09 12:31 AM
Thursday, March 26, 2009 at 1:36 AM - Response #8

Suzi Delarnoux wrote:

Unfortunately, I have to ask this question..is there an option for a classmate to BLOCK another classmate from comments, contacting, etc...? we received an email from one of our classmates who reported that he was being harrassed from another classmate. We do not want him to cancel his account, but we'd like to be able to give an option? Thanks.

Suzi
This site is for RE-Connecting!! I found in 2007 some people had never come to the reunions because of situations like this. Here is my question do you have proof that he is harassing said classmate. If so, CLASSMATE should be HAPPY to forward or copy all emails to you.

Let it be known this is an ADULT classmates site... leave the school yard bullying at home. Life is to short for this.... and some of us have lost enough. Some of my classmates need this to be able to have someone to talk to. The BULLIES need to stay off the playground.
Sorry if this sounds mean, but been a bad week. Not into bullying…..

Dawn

Edited 03/26/09 5:01 PM
Thursday, April 23, 2009 at 6:30 AM - Response #9

I was reading the thread and came upon the compliment of the Bradford High School site. It's great.Very Happy Kinda what I'm going for but so much better. What creative people you have working on your site and contributing to it. Here's a thought...CC should create a list of the most unique sites to view for ideas. Your site would surely be among themExclamation

K Wink

Edited 04/23/09 7:01 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.