ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

New Member Verifications

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 02/18/11 11:27 AM Views: 1338 Replies: 12
Friday, February 18, 2011 at 11:27 AM

There has been a recent change when I go into verify a new member. I can either VERIFY or check a box that says something like "I dont think you are who you claim to be".

What happens if I chose that box?

Secondly, what happens if I go into a previously verified classmate and UNVERIFY them.

Thirdly, in a previous post I had (successfully, I thought) argued that the verification boxes and security check boxes should really be on the DETAILS page rather than the PROFILE page. I am more interested in addresses, phone numbers, etc are populated than what they put in free form text boxes.

Friday, February 18, 2011 at 6:53 PM - Response #1

Hi Charlie,

If you do not verify someone they will not be able to communicate with others on the site.

If you unverify someone they return to that restricted state.

Can you send me a link to the prior I can check into the responses regarding the location of the verification screens.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Saturday, February 19, 2011 at 9:38 AM - Response #2

Brad, Here is the link to the previous discussion.

http://forums.classcreator.com/messages.cfm?threadid=44F629AD-978F-A5B3-E611454C7881C51D

So what is the point of the I DONT THINK YOU ARE WHO YOU SAY YOU ARE button - what does it's choice mean to me as a SysAdmin / DB Admin.

Saturday, February 19, 2011 at 9:03 PM - Response #3

We restructured the system and slightly delayed the notification to Admin. Risk of rewriting is now incredibly unlikely.

We put in the two radio buttons so you can quickly set the account back to how you had it if it was hijacked. In the past people had to do this:

1) Delete the hijacked account
2) Add the member back to your class list
3) Rekey any information that was lost (that the Admin might have previously keyed)
4) Reupload the Yearbook photo

You can imagine that in many cases the loss of that much work wasn't agreeing with many Admins. Now in a single click you can put the account back to exactly how it was before it was hijacked without having to do all of that. A far better solution.

Monday, February 21, 2011 at 12:17 PM - Response #4

Ok that may solve PART of the issue. But when I get a notification of new classmate and follow the links - I am taken to the PROFILE to approve it. Since the data that I want to see to verify the classmate is all on the DETAILS page, I click on DETAILS to view. If nothing is wrong, I then click on PROFILE and then approve. If while reviewing the DETAILS page, I find something - usually spelling, capitalization, or format - that I want to correct, I make the corretion and SAVE. When I do this, I am presented with the EDIT CLASSMATES screen where I have to go find the classmate again and then access the PROFILE to approve.

Further - it really makes more sense for the check boxes (currently on the profile) for CONTACT DETAIL and BIRTHDAY (visibility) to be on the DETAILS screen where the user enters the data. I believe this might encourage people to enter more specific contact data if they can see that they can prevent it from being viewed by other members.

Monday, February 21, 2011 at 2:09 PM - Response #5

While the info on the Details pages is important, we have found that verifications are more likely to occur through the telling of personalized stories of their high school days. Anyone can add what ever address they would like, or leave some of that information blank. We have simply found that member provide more "verifiable" information on the profile page. As for the profile attributes at the bottom of the profile page, this is info really pertains to how the profiles are displayed and to whom. I understand the issue you've pointed out, however, this is not a change we will likely pursue at this time.

Monday, February 21, 2011 at 2:23 PM - Response #6

First of all i have address / phone / email fore most of the class. I dont see that looking at tales from school make the verification any better. I can look at an email address for the most part and tell whether it is legit or a hijacker trying to get in. There is just something smelly about them.

How about a compromise.
On the bottom of the Details give me a: "Save and go to this person's PROFILE page" button.
On the bottom of the PROFILE give me a : "Save and go to this person's DETAILS page" button.
The current SAVE would be SAVE and EXIT

Monday, February 21, 2011 at 2:57 PM - Response #7

We will place it in the queue for future consideration.

Monday, February 21, 2011 at 3:33 PM - Response #8

know what that one means

Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 5:08 PM - Response #9

We have a member we want to unverify because we are suspending his privileges. It is not clear as to what happens to his information/photos (etc.) when we click unverify. The unverify box sounds very ominous since it says there is no way to reverse the action.

We want to do a 90-day suspension so that member cannot log on to site during this time. We need a clear understanding of what will happen if we choose unverify and whether we need to save certain Profile information or not.

Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 7:59 PM - Response #10

the Unverify action reverts the state to before the member filled out the member wizard. If you just want to temporarily suspend it, you could just change his primary e-mail address to something like from this: "whatever@yahoo.com" to "whatever_unverify@yahoo.com"

You could also just change the primary e-mail to YOUR e-mail address and then put his current primary e-mail address to the ADMIN COMMENTS so that you can restore it to what it was after your verification process is done.

Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 8:19 PM - Response #11

When I attempt to remove the member's e-mail address, it says that it will send a copy of the new e-mail to him for his information. If I am correct, that means he can still sign on to the site using the made-up e-mail address. Is that correct?

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at 3:00 AM - Response #12

I apologize for the late response on this. Once you change a member's email address that member can only log in using the new email address. So no, the old email address will no longer work. Note however that if you have unverified this member, then the member has virtually no rights on the web site. The individual's profile will no longer be viewable by other members. The member will not be able to send email to other members. The member will not be able to participate in Live Chats or Instant Messaging. The member will not be able to participate in public forums. For all intents and purposes the member is rendered incapable of doing anything that other members can see.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.