ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

How do you load your playlist to your home page?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/04/10 09:51 PM Views: 2636 Replies: 21
Wednesday, August 4, 2010 at 9:51 PM

I am new to CC and I'm just not as creative as some of the Admins yet, but hope to be soon. I have my playlist all set up and know how to paste the code in the photo gallery pages, but how do I get my music to play on my home page and display the playlist as I've seen on other sites? Also, does the music go with you as you change pages?

Thank you ... Debbie

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 at 10:11 PM - Response #1

Hi Debbie:

Welcome to Class Creator -- the Help Forums.

There are two ways to handle the playlists.

One is to embed them into your home page or into an announcement that will appear in your home page. If you choose this method; the music ends when they go to another page. (Although they can click on the pop-out button on the player -- which will have advertising around it.)

The second way is to create a pop-out player that won't start playing until your site visitor clicks on a link. If you choose this method, then as visitors change from page to page, the music continues to play.

Whether putting the player on the home page, an announcment or in a pop-out window, you get the player to appear on a page by changing to "SOURCE" in the page editor, locating the insertion point where you want the player to appear, then pasting the code in place and re-clicking on SOURCE to see how the player looks.

John

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 12:46 AM - Response #2

Debbie,

Question 20 of the FAQS deals with uploading 3rd party objects:

Search for the following text: Can I embed third party objects on my site, such as music or videos?

http://www.classcreator.com/faqs.html#Building

Reply back here if you have more questions....

Saturday, August 7, 2010 at 11:50 PM - Response #3

Thank you!! I went to edit my home page, clicked source, pasted the code, but nothing came up even after I refreshed and logged out. Also, how do you change pixels? I thought I was doing so well putting this all together, but this has me stumped. My objective is to log into the home page and to hear the music right away and to hear the music as you go through each page. Where is my playlist on my home page? Any thoughts??

Thank you SO much!!
Debbie

Sunday, August 8, 2010 at 12:16 AM - Response #4

Kyle & John ... your sites are awesome!! I wish I was that creative and knowledgeable!!

Debbie

Sunday, August 8, 2010 at 8:48 AM - Response #5

Debbie,
To add the playlist to whatever page you wish simply highlight and copy the embedded code shown on playlist.com Using the Ctrl C keys together(copies it). Then go to the page where you want to add the playlist. (edit site pages) Click on "Source"! Your page will turn into all the codes when doing so. Set your cursor where you wish to add the playlist on the page. Then use the Ctrl V keys together to paste it in. Make sure you click "Save Changes" when your done.

Debbie, I unlocked a bunch of pages for you to see. I'll leave them unlocked for the next 48 hrs, enjoy!

Kevin

Edited 08/08/10 8:54 AM
Sunday, August 8, 2010 at 9:48 AM - Response #6

Kevin's steps are right. One more clue. If you want the playlist in a specific place on the page, move the cursor to where you want it and type the words PASTE PLAYLIST CODES HERE. Then when you click on the SOURCE button, you can search for PASTE PLAYLIST CODES HERE and delete that text and paste the codes exactly where you want.

Sunday, August 8, 2010 at 10:47 AM - Response #7

Hi Debbie,
It takes lots of practise. I was the biggest "dummy"Smile ever when it came to embedding etc. Honestly I thought I'd never figure it out. But these guys are AAA when it comes to helping. Trust me, you will catch on. Check out my site. Up until the "after reunion" site I had a terrific young man on my committee who did all the work up until the reunion. He is in college now and it's up to me now to take charge. Yes, I did it all by my self. Amazing what you can do. Just like starting kindergarten, once you get it, you don't forget. I have found some very easy ways to take pics from any place on the internet and add them. I just asked lots of questions to everyone. All the admins on here are just like family. We all help each other. Talk to me in a few weeks. You will be so proud of how much you CAN do.....

Monday, August 9, 2010 at 7:16 AM - Response #8

Kevin ... Your site is awesome!! Thanks for sharing and giving me some ideas. I just started a few weeks ago, so I'm still finding new things to do with the site. Have a great time at your reunion!!

Debbie

Monday, August 9, 2010 at 7:25 AM - Response #9

Hey Diane ... Thank you for your support!! I've just started and already learned so much, especially that the Admins and CC are great at answering emails and lots of questions. Your site is really great and covers so many years!! I know after having only used CC for a few weeks, it's becoming addictive and really fun. I still have a long way to go and still finding new things everyday, but with the help of people like you and CC, I shouldn't have a hard time at all!!

Debbie

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 at 12:28 PM - Response #10

Debbie,
Hey, One 70 grad to another...your welcome. If you need the links to some really cool graphics, glitter text etc., let me know. Happy to help you. Another great place in these forums to find good information is "Building Blocks" so set some time aside one day and explore that forum.

Kevin

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 at 12:33 AM - Response #11

Kevin,
How do you place a collage on the right side of your Home Page? Looks awesome. All I have is a big gold column.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 at 9:44 AM - Response #12

Morning,
If I understand correctly, I can not insert the playlist and later move it down by entering lines?
Thanks.
Gwen

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 at 10:07 AM - Response #13

Hi Gwen:

Welcome to Class Creator and to the Help Forums.

When placing your playlist player on the home page, you need to watch the "Width" of this (and other third party items). Check the FAQs (link on the top of this page under the "celebrating graduates picture")

Quote:

If you put an embedded object on your home page or Announcement Board do not use objects over 350 pixels wide. If you are embedding PlayList.com Playlists (default width 435) you can easily change the size of your embedded player by following these steps:

After pasting your Playlist.com source code, make sure you identify and change all 4 widths to 350 (various browser versions have different methods of embedding an object on your page, so there are 4 separate instances of the width in the code to accommodate all of them). You can use a number slightly larger than 350 depending on the design you are using if you wish — feel free to experiment. Then save your page.
Your Playlist Player will now fit perfectly on your home page without interfering with the formatting.

If you don't adjust the width, your player will be forced down to a 'wider' part of the page (below the end of the third column features.) This leaves a large 'white space'.

Once you've placed the player, then yes, adding content ('lines') will push the player lower as you add content 'above' it on your home page.

You're off to a good start on your class site.

John

Edited 08/11/10 10:10 AM
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 at 10:29 AM - Response #14

Greetings all and thanks for the welcome!

If you looked at my current site, not on CC, I am used to adding photos and doing to old 'grab a corner and pull this way, that way'... to make it fit how I want. I tried that yesterday here on CC with zero success. Tell me it is just me and not impossible, please.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 at 10:33 AM - Response #15

Cancel that question! My memory must have been on pause! It was based on something I did last night - probably late last night. Today, I did add one photo. (At least I think I did.) I'm simply doing too many things at once and too tired. My apologies, gents. Smile

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 at 10:35 AM - Response #16

Gwen Corey wrote:

If you looked at my current site, not on CC, I am used to adding photos and doing to old 'grab a corner and pull this way, that way'... to make it fit how I want. I tried that yesterday here on CC with zero success. Tell me it is just me and not impossible, please.

In positioning pictures, it is possible to adjust the size of pictures by dragging the corner -- if you use Firefox. Other browsers may not work that way. All browsers let you adjust the picture size by specifying the width and/or height in pixels. You adjust whether the picture is flush left, center or right by choosing that from the editor panel (click on the image, then click on the image icon (yellow square). Once you've placed a picture, it is possible to drag it to another position.

I looked at your current site. Anytime you change the method of creating your site, you're going to have a learning curve. The Class Creator system will provide you with so many features tailored to Class Reunions and High School Class sites that it will be well worth taking the time to learn.

Edited 08/11/10 10:38 AM
Thursday, August 12, 2010 at 7:18 AM - Response #17

Kathy Schmoldt wrote:

Kevin,
How do you place a collage on the right side of your Home Page? Looks awesome. All I have is a big gold column.

Oh, that's easy and your answer can also be found in FAQ pages within class creator.
Here is what you do:
From your home page under "Admin Functions" click on the menu link "Change Colors" Under the heading Background image upload a photo, graphic anything you wish to see on the right side of your home page, of which becomes the image that will appear on all your pages. The file must be in .jpeg or .gif form. Click save and hit refresh browser. Your new image will now appear on your pages as a background image. Make sure when you change the image from either season to season or perhaps a special holiday that you check the box to delete prior image.

It's as easy as that!

Kevin

Thursday, August 12, 2010 at 8:36 AM - Response #18

To Kyle, John & Kevin ... Thank you all so much for your answers and your patience!! I have found that everyone on CC is gracious in their responses and have enjoyed reading and learning on the Help Forums!! I hope one of these days I'll understand all this as well as you guys!!

Thanks!!
Debbie

Thursday, August 12, 2010 at 1:57 PM - Response #19

@Kevin: Thank you !

Friday, September 16, 2011 at 7:04 PM - Response #20

How do you get a playlist to be positioned below announcements and occupations?

Friday, September 16, 2011 at 7:28 PM - Response #21

You probably can't.

Occupations is one of those 'right column widgets' - you've chosen to make it appear in the middle column (the links are in the left column). You can position it in the right column if you want.

Currently your announcements are positions below the home page content. (You can choose to have announcements above or below the contents when you Edit the home page.)

You could put your play list in an announcement and position it as the last announcement (using the red/green (up-down) arrows).

However, having your playlist at the bottom of the home page might be frustrating for some visitors, especially if you make the music auto-start. It will be hard to locate the controls to turn the sound off or down, should they be cruising your site while at work.

Consider making the playlist in a pop-out page. The music will play while site visitors go from page to page.

HERE ARE STEP-By-STEP INSTRUCTIONS

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.