ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

file types for photos?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/04/10 04:02 PM Views: 1831 Replies: 9
Wednesday, August 4, 2010 at 4:02 PM

What file types do you accept for photos? One Classmate is having trouble with her photo as a pdf file. Apparently pdfs aren't acceptable.

I looked in the FAQ and search the Forum and couldn't find any documentation of these types.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 at 4:26 PM - Response #1

The major image formats that are accepted include: jpg, gif, png, tiff, bmp

PDF files are not accepted in this case. The other possible issue is with uploading image files is when the files have a huge file size. In those cases, simply using another image editor, like Picassa, you can re-size the photo to something more manageable and likely have success uploading the image on the next attempt.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 at 5:52 PM - Response #2

Thank you - maybe this should be documented in the FAQ or somewhere? I figured that you would accept jpg and gif, but didn't know about png, tiff and bmp

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 at 8:53 PM - Response #3
interviewmuencheberg.pdf

Joseph,

Separate photo files need to follow one of the conventions Scott mentions; however, an alternative if you are interested, is to upload a pdf document with photos on it.

I just posted a classmate interview recently which included both text and photos (attached). The layout was done on a Mac using "Pages" then "Exported" as a pdf which, when uploaded, resides in a separate area of the vault for linking.

Bob

Thursday, March 28, 2013 at 6:32 PM - Response #4

What about Scalable Vector Graphics (svg) or other scalable graphics file types?

Can we upload scalable images (especially useful for images containing text, i.e., sponsor ads) so as to avoid blurred pixilation if the viewer uses his/her keyboard to zoom in/out (Ctr+/-)?

Or, alternatively, can someone recommend the best way to optimize jpeg files containing text for web use? Are the pixels described by CC as the "maximum content body area" different from the pixels per inch (ppi) described in digital images? I've been very confused by this lately! I'm trying to find a suitable way to provide my sponsors with professional looking ads.

Thank you!!!

Thursday, March 28, 2013 at 7:38 PM - Response #5

Here's a good reference for PPI LINK

This is a broad topic so this is just a quick summary from the way I understood your question. For web publishing purposes, knowing the width and height is all you need.

For web/CC we are concerned with:

1. Formats all the browsers support - JPG, GIF, PNG
2. Size of the image (file size - download speed)
3. Clarity desired

To my knowledge, no vector graphics are currently supported by any web browser without an addon.

The best way to get images to 'fit' on a page and yet allow them to be zoomed, is to scale them down using 'img' tags. Then use some code to zoom them. That's what I did.

IOW, the 'zoomed' image is actually the image at its native resolution and the viewed image is scaled down for display. This is different from thumbnails as done in the Gallery. That thumbnail is another way to do this, just a lot more work.Cool

The next thing for crispness is to pick a lossless format.
Those would be GIF or PNG.

If you look at commmercial sites, you'll find they tend to use GIF because GIF is pretty good at compressing and is crystal clear at native size.

JPG can work if you use a low compression factor, but then you might be better of using GIF instead. For very large images, it might be a better choice. So none of this is absolute, one has to evaluate in context.

Friday, March 29, 2013 at 1:24 PM - Response #6

Good answer Jack. Terry, I am not sure what you are intending for the ads for your sponsor members, but you could reference the following Google standards page: LINK

Jack is correct about the final file formats above. Typically, you would simply want to know the pixel dimensions of the final graphics at 72dpi.

Monday, April 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM - Response #7

Unfortunately, most of that explanation is over my head and will take some time for me to decipher and learn.

I'm just trying to learn how to optimize jpeg images that contain text so when one zooms in to enlarge it, the text doesn't go all fuzzy and unreadable. I appreciate the help, though. I'll have to come back and research your suggestions further when I have more time.

Monday, April 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM - Response #8

OK - short version. Basically, for JPG do NOT compress the image (or not very much). However, that results in a very large file. That's an option on many graphic editors when you save. JPG is never as crisp as GIF or PNG.

So it's better to start off with a large GIF or PNG image and just shrink it for display using IMG size (width,height) settings.

Monday, April 1, 2013 at 1:22 PM - Response #9

Thanks, Jack! I will eventually learn this stuff... until then, this is helpful to know.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.