ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Reunion Checking Account

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/15/08 08:37 PM Views: 2058 Replies: 5
Monday, December 15, 2008 at 8:37 PM

We are having trouble opening up a checking account ~ any ideas ???? What is everyone else doing ?? We wanted to open an account up with the name SDHS Class '89 or Class '89 SDHS.... The bank is telling us that we need to get a letter from the school and the school is saying no way .....
Confused

Christine M Bryant
San Dimas Class 1989

Monday, December 15, 2008 at 8:47 PM - Response #1

We got a tax ID number and then opened the bank account. The IRS said we don't have to file a tax return because we don't have employees and we don't make any monies. We have two signers on the account & just had to show our IDs when we signed up. We used National City because they offer free business checking. Good luck!

Monday, December 15, 2008 at 9:10 PM - Response #2

I'm curious how you got a tax ID.... did you create an LLC or corporation for your reunion committee? I didn't think you could get a tax ID without some kind of "organization" behind it...

Monday, December 15, 2008 at 9:26 PM - Response #3

We have an EIN not TIN. Sorry. I checked out the IRS FAQs first & still wasn't sure what to do so I called and sat on hold for a good ten minutes before reaching a guy & explaining to him the situation of what we are & what we are doing. He's the one who told me to file for an EIN & the person in the EIN department is the one who advised me about employees, income, etc.

Monday, December 15, 2008 at 10:22 PM - Response #4

Go to another bank.
We have a very senior accountant in our class. His
advice just open an account, ...we called ours Baker HS Class of 62, we have two account "signers" and a PO box address. We've had it for 5 years or so...never had to file taxes or get an EIN. The account is for a "special purpose" (reunions) not for profit, etc. etc.
The bank was delighted to help us out. Checks were printed for free, interest bearing, no service fee.
Curly Harman

Monday, December 15, 2008 at 10:40 PM - Response #5

Our account was established when we graduated. Our Senior account was changed over then, I believe. We have 2 signers. Check with other banks. Getting the ID sounds right too.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.