ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Responsive Design - getting started

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/09/16 11:53 PM Views: 2287 Replies: 10
Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 11:53 PM

We'd like to update our site design and are considering using "Responsive Design". I hoped to find a video or some basic instructions, but haven't located them.

I've tried the "Preview", and once clicked "Select", but instead of options and choices I saw a redesigned website. Afraid that other classmates could also see this rough change, I quickly located the "Legacy Design" and reverted.

Could use some clues on how to get started without changing the site for everyone before we're ready.
Thanks, Linda

Sunday, July 10, 2016 at 8:46 AM - Response #1

There is no preview website. When you switch, everyone can see the changes.

Here is the first video for responsive design.
https://youtu.be/WDkExj8BSL8

You can find all of the videos on Youtube.com , search for "classcreator.com Introduction to the responsive design". There are 5 total of these videos.

Sunday, July 10, 2016 at 9:23 AM - Response #2

Thanks, Kyle! I've already watched the first two videos- they're very helpful. I'm still unsure if we'll move to Responsive Design - would involve lots of changes for our classmates to absorb.

Sunday, July 10, 2016 at 10:30 AM - Response #3

Linda, I changed four sites to Responsive Design (RD). Look for a contact us message (from your site) from me as I am happy to answer any questions now and as you give it a try. Remember this... you can switch back to a "classic" design. With that shared, as an admin... I love the ease at which I can move around the sites. Smile

OOPS... I just noticed you are not the root on the site and therefore may not receive the contact us message. Check your INBOX here - at the top of the page.

Edited 07/10/16 10:32 AM
Monday, July 11, 2016 at 1:13 AM - Response #4

With the advantages of Responsive Design (RD), I find one glaring disadvantage: the width of the text line is significantly longer than in the Professional or Themed Design formats. I find it uncomfortable to read text in such a long line. I much prefer the text width of the Professional Design we're using. I'd look at several RD sites and see if you feel comfortable reading the text. I'm staying with the Professional Design for now.

Monday, July 11, 2016 at 1:00 PM - Response #5

I agree with Scott. Having a wide area makes reading "uncomfortable". It's why newspapers have columns. Idea

However, it can be made a bit friendlier by not letting it take up the full width! Select "Fixed" not "Full". Do not know why most are Full.

RD is not RD for a lot of things. For example "widgets" or YouTube videos and so forth. Images look out of scale with all the white space all of a sudden surrounding them (for existing sites that switch).

To test, Switch and browse one's site to see if one likes it EVERYWHERE, not just the home page which is narrower in visible are than the other pages (because of right side options). It's easy to switch back.

The main advantage are the RD menu placements from small screens. Something that the "old" designs could also inherit with no other changes involved Idea

Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 3:11 PM - Response #6

Where are the other video's Responsive Design layout, just watched the first one.

I have switched but I can't find some pages to update and change on the Home page? This is on the North '64 site. It's the bottom section of Reunion Committee I need to change.
Thanks for Checking.
kk

Friday, March 29, 2019 at 8:13 AM - Response #7

Karen, at this link there are additional videos on Responsive Design: http://www.classcreator.com/videos.cfm

Scroll down and you'll see them.

I see links for the following videos:

Introduction to the Responsive Design: Overview [6:10]
Introduction to the Responsive Design: Body & Header [14:38]
Introduction to the Responsive Design: Titles & Logo [9:39]
Introduction to the Responsive Design: Top & Left Navigation [23:50]
Introduction to the Responsive Design: Content & Footer [21:29]

Friday, March 29, 2019 at 3:37 PM - Response #8

Thanks Scott, for posting those.

Monday, April 1, 2019 at 4:01 PM - Response #9

I had to search for the video on Youtube and have reviewed.I can't find where to change the background of the announcement page? And where to change the color of that section also of the text.
Thanks for the help!
kk

Monday, April 1, 2019 at 9:08 PM - Response #10

It is on the Post Announcement Page.

Announcement Background Color:   

Announcement Header Color:

Click the Member icon, then “Post Announement”

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.