ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Character Limit in Profile Text Boxes

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/15/08 06:26 PM Views: 1496 Replies: 8
Monday, December 15, 2008 at 6:26 PM

Hi Brad,
When we first started out, I thought there was an unlimited number of characters available in the text boxes for folks to write into their Profiles. I have one classmate who can't make her edited "My Life in a Nutshell" fit anymore (and yes, she probably added to what was way too long anyway but...). Was this a recent change as I know I asked about this previously? Thanks, Elaine

Monday, December 15, 2008 at 6:40 PM - Response #1

It's actually a limit in the database. I didn't realize that at first either... So I had the programmer add the limit and the counter above the box so people know this.

My suggestion would to be use more than one field to convey the info. For instance, she can use the nutshell field, School Story, Comments, etc. You could even put in more with Profile Generator to further break up how people can tell their story. Any way you slice it though, no one field will permit more than 5,000 characters in the database, so you'll have to keep that limitation in mind when designing your Profile pages.

Edited 12/16/08 6:30 PM
Monday, December 15, 2008 at 11:34 PM - Response #2

Brad Switzer wrote:

It's actually a limit in the database. I actually didn't realize that at first either... So I had the programmer add the limit and the counter above the box so people know this.

My suggestion would to be use more than one field to convey the info. For instance, she can use the nutshell field, School Story, Comments, etc. You could even put in more with Profile Generator to further break up how people can tell their story. Any way you slice it though, no one field will permit more than 5,000 characters in the database, so you'll have to keep that limitation in mind when designing your Profile pages.

Good to know.

As a guideline, About how many lines would it take to get to the 5,000 characters in a profile field?

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 6:32 PM - Response #3

I don't know, but since we have a character counter on the box now, you can see exactly how many characters you have left. And you can't type past 5,000 characters now.

Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 9:49 PM - Response #4

I have someone who is unable to enter more than 1000 characters combined in the profile. I have not been able to duplicate this. This is a highly technical individual, so I believe it is an issue. I was able to enter more characters into their profile and asked them to now try replacing my text.

Would also like to understand the questionnaire approach to profile entry. I have not been able to locate any information.

Thank you

Wednesday, June 24, 2020 at 3:11 AM - Response #5

Karen,

Here's the info you need to understand the questionnaire approach to profile entry:

1. Under Admin Functions, click on Profile Generator.

2. At the Class Creator site, classcreator.com, click on Support, then Class Creator FAQs, then Questions About Building Your Site. Scroll down to Question 18 "Can I Change the Default Questions in My Classmates' Profiles." You'll find some helpful suggestions there.

Edited 06/24/20 4:01 AM
Wednesday, June 24, 2020 at 6:10 PM - Response #6

Thank you, that is helpful.
Unfortunately, I have classmates unable to add more than 1000 characters, when the profile generator says that field allows 4000. Any idea why and/or how this can be fixed.
Thank you!!

Wednesday, June 24, 2020 at 8:16 PM - Response #7

The limit is for the admin only HINT, not the amount of data a classmate can enter. I can enter way more than 4000 when filling out the questions. I didn't count, but I entered probably 10,000 via copy/paste

There is NO character count either, it's only in the admin HINT section.

Ask your classmate what browser they are using and on what device since this sounds more like an app issue here.

[I'm using responsive, but the size should be same for either type of design.]

Edited 06/24/20 8:17 PM
Wednesday, June 24, 2020 at 9:17 PM - Response #8

Same here... No limit found on a legacy profile.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.