ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

ISP & what this means to our registered classmates?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/04/17 09:54 AM Views: 2053 Replies: 25
Tuesday, April 4, 2017 at 9:54 AM

As a Verizon customer with a Verizon.net email
address, I have until April 28th to make one of two changes to send or receive email. If classmates who use Verizon.net do nothing, they risk being unable to send or receive email and lose their contacts. I have emailed the class but because we're an older class, I'm not sure they realize this. Today I read the following (posted below) and I'm concerned how this Verizon merge with AOL
& Yahoo email will impact our Class website, can Class Crestor please comment. Thank you.

When Verizon merges Yahoo with AOL after its acquisition of Yahoo closes, the newly created division will get a new name.
That new name is Oath, sources tell Business Insider.
In a deal that was announced in July, Verizon will acquire Yahoo's core internet business for about $4.8 billion in cash.
Yahoo will be merged with Verizon's AOL unit under Marni Walden, the executive vice president and president of product innovation and new businesses, with Verizon scooping up Yahoo's search, mail, content, and ad-tech businesses.
It's unclear if the Yahoo name will live on for any part of the internet business that will be run by AOL. However, a big new branding campaign is expected in the coming weeks, along with more details about the new company.
Yahoo declined to comment on the new name. While an AOL spokeswoman neither confirmed nor denied the new name, she told us to watch for the "launching" of the new company.
"In the summer of 2017, you can bet we will be launching one of the most disruptive brand companies in digital," she said.
The Yahoo-Verizon deal is supposed to close in the second quarter of 2017, perhaps on or before April 24.

Edited 04/11/17 12:56 PM
Tuesday, April 4, 2017 at 12:30 PM - Response #1

Hi Elena,

It is not clear how each of these entities will handle their email addresses. Many providers announce discontinuing a service and even announce that users must change over to new email addresses only to back down when many users continue to use their now unsupported email system. Hotmail was supposed to be phased out to live.com and then again to outlook.com and yet many users still have hotmail accounts.

Admins emailing their own classmates is the best way to announce this type of change if it appears to be a permanent change that is actually going to be implemented by the provider. Letting them know it might be coming and recommending they look into more stable providers such as free gmail accounts. Reminding them as the dates get closer is also recommended.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 at 1:09 PM - Response #2

Thank you, for replying Jessica. I plan to email the class & encourage classmates to create a gmail account.

Edited 04/04/17 1:12 PM
Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 1:23 PM - Response #3

I'll be very surprised if Verizon users are forced to change their email address. For example, over the last several years, Hotmail.com was absorbed by Microsoft who asked users to change to Live.com - which then changed to Outlook.com. Users with any of the original two email addresses continue to work as they always have - although those who changed as suggested usually gained some additional functionality.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 3:29 PM - Response #4

Here's what I received from Verizon:

Effective April 29, 2017, we'll no longer provide verizon.net email service. Other than this change, your Verizon service(s) won't be affected.

We have two options for you to consider below. Please review both options and take action today to avoid losing access to your email.

Choosing an option is easy.

Click here to sign into your verizon.net email account.
Simply select Keep verizon.net email address or Try any other email provider to complete the setup.

Option 1. Keep your current email address with AOL Mail.

By choosing this option you will:

Keep your verizon.net email address
Migrate to AOL Mail
Retain email, contacts and calendar(s) automatically

Option 2. Try any other email provider.

By choosing this option, you will:

No longer be able to use your current verizon.net email address
Establish an account with a mail provider of your choosing like Outlook.com or Gmail
Manually move your email, contacts and calendar(s)

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 3:49 PM - Response #5

This was the 2nd Notice received from Verizon:
How This Impacts Deliverability
If you opt to TAKE NO ACTION: After the 30-day cutoff, you will not be able to access your Verizon accounts any longer.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 4:14 PM - Response #6

The way it reads to me, there is no problem

Quote:

Simply select Keep verizon.net email address ... Keep your verizon.net email address

The just won't allow NEW accounts. Pretty much what John said what happened with hotmail, livemail.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 6:10 PM - Response #7

Thank you John & Jack for replying and I do hope you're correct. Reading all your helpful Forum posts, your tech knowledge is way above most. There is a problem if my Verizon.net classmates make no choice. Realize I'm not their keeper - but if I didn't have an IT for business reasons to explain how to proceed, I'd be feeling challenged.
As an older class, some of our classmates become confused and ask how to navigate portions of our CC website. There's approx 25 or 30 classmates using Verizon.net
There's uncertainty if the Verizon population on our website will select the AOL option - worse will be if they select no option. It's a shame some classmates might not realize they may not have access to email and lose their contacts - April 28 is right around the corner.
Choosing to migrate from Verizon to AOL is the only method to keep a Verizon.net email address. There's sev'l FAQ's with vague explanations.
Verizon seems more interested in their other products
- for example:
1. Why is Verizon providing me with an AOL Mail account?
Starting February 2017, Verizon will no longer provide verizon.net email service. Instead they will focus on providing their internet, TV and phone customers the best experience possible. Verizon has teamed up with AOL to provide verizon.net email customers with AOL Mail, an enhanced email experience.

2. How do I import contacts in AOL Mail?
Want to import your contacts from another email address to AOL Mail? No problem; it's a snap.
Note: Before you can import contacts, you'll need to export a contacts file from another email address.
To import contacts to AOL Mail:

1. In the left panel, click Contacts.

2. Above your list of contacts, click the More drop-down menu, and then click Import.

3. Select the file type of the contacts list you exported (CSV, TXT, or LDIF) and then click Browse for file.

Browse for file

4. Navigate to where you saved the contacts file on your computer, select it, and then click Open.

5. Click Import.

Tada! Your new list of contacts will be added to your existing contacts.

etc - etc...

Edited 04/05/17 6:29 PM
Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 7:52 PM - Response #8

This LINK gives a detailed description. Pretty much as described already and more. I think the confusion arises over the term "AOL" mail.

Short story: You keep you verizon.net email address, but the software will be supplied now by AOL. Same thing that happened to hotmail and livemail - they use the same actual mail software now = Outlook.com. Different email address but actually all exactly the same software.

So the look of the webmail client will change, but the email address remains the same.

Quote:

What email address do I use to log in to AOL Mail?

Your verizon.net email address will not change. You will use your verizon.net email address, including @verizon.net, as your user name for AOL Mail.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 9:08 PM - Response #9

"Short story: You keep you verizon.net email address, but the software will be supplied now by AOL. Same thing that happened to hotmail and livemail - they use the same actual mail software now = Outlook.com. Different email address but actually all exactly the same software.

So the look of the webmail client will change, but the email address remains the same."

Thank you very much,Jack,for providing an easy to understand explanation. Much appreciated.

Monday, April 10, 2017 at 1:02 PM - Response #10

With ease, I migrated verizon.net to AOL. However, it would have been complicated without having an IT on site to change my devices - smart phone and tablet. Thanks to Jack and John for providing accurate info.

Monday, April 10, 2017 at 4:02 PM - Response #11

Interesting, I have a verizon.net email and have yet to be contacted by Verizon regarding the migration. I had heard through the grapevine about some changes so I called verizon and was told that they are making the migration in batches and that I would receive a notice when I needed to make any changes. I am a little concerned regarding this April 28 deadline but right now my hands are tied since I have not been given any instructions and don't want to make any changes that are not necessary.

Monday, April 10, 2017 at 5:22 PM - Response #12

Bonnie,
Verizon is shutting down email geographically. If you haven't yet received an email from Verizon, April 28th doesn't apply to you. This might be a good time for you to create a gmail account. I'm planning to keep AOL interface using verizon.net for one year or until I've had an opportunity to notify my contacts that I'm using a gmail address. For my business, I use a domain name. My concern with Verizon is the one-month timeframe to make a decision. Jessica, CC Tech Support, plus Jack and John on this Forum are so knowledgeable. I'm still concerned for several classmates on our website who use verizon.net as their webmail, who received a notice yet are doing nothing.
elena

Edited 04/13/17 2:49 PM
Monday, April 10, 2017 at 6:30 PM - Response #13

Thank you for that information. I need to check on how many classmates have a verizon email account. Not sure how to run that type of query.

Monday, April 10, 2017 at 7:13 PM - Response #14

About ten years ago, I had a bellsouth.net email address. When I switched to Comcast, I was in a panic regarding my emails and went through each email, which took hours. Today, I am still able to access that email account.

I agree with Jack's note about as to the section he quoted due to my experience.

AOL? I gave that up at least twelve years ago. I use gmail personally and for one website. Most of my websites were started when email was free with the domain, which was grandfathered in when they switched to paid email.

Email issues are rarely fun. Cool

Monday, April 10, 2017 at 7:45 PM - Response #15

Bonnie,

Here's how to easily display the emails for your classmates:
Admin Functions > Manage Classmates > Download Class List.
Be sure the email field is checked.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 11:41 AM - Response #16

Bonnie,
Follow Scott's prompts - easy to see classmates' email addresses displayed. Informative/useful tutorial - thanks, Scott!

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 11:59 AM - Response #17

Scott Moore wrote:

Bonnie,

Here's how to easily display the emails for your classmates:
Admin Functions > Manage Classmates > Download Class List.
Be sure the email field is checked.

And don't forget to check the Alternate Email box as well since some could have a Verizon address as an alternate/additional address.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 10:29 AM - Response #18

Hi Elena,

I do not have a Verizon or Yahoo account but after reading this discussion I ran a classmate list showing email addresses and I have a number of classmates who have Verizon, AOL or Yahoo accounts. Could you send me or post here in this discussion a copy of the email you plan to send to your classmates letting them know about the possible changes to their email accounts. Since I do not quite understand the problem I am not sure how to word the email and I don't want to send out incorrect information.

Thanks, Joan

Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 12:19 PM - Response #19

Joan,
Here's two emails I sent. Will post both separately. This one addresses Verizon:

Verizon Is Done with Email: How This Impacts '65 Classmates. We have at least 25 Registered '65 classmates on our website using Verizon email,
In the next 30 days, Verizon’s email customers will have to decide what they want to do with their existing accounts.
Precautions to take: choose one of the options Verizon offers.

How This Impacts Deliverability
If you opt to TAKE NO ACTION: Big problem here. After the 30-day cutoff, '65 classmates will not be able to access their Verizon accounts any longer – and we will not be able to communicate with you – at least not by email.

If a '65 classmate using verizon.net receives an email from Verizon, please TAKE ACTION. Option #1 is the easiest. If you DO NOT TAKE ACTION, you will lose your email address, your Contacts and calendar. You will not be able to send or receive email.
·

Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 12:46 PM - Response #20

Below is the 2nd message sent to our classmates.

Class of '65 Yahoo and AOL customers should be aware of the following - which may or may not eventually affect email:
April 4 (UPI) -- Oath will be the name of the company when Verizon acquires Yahoo and merges it with AOL.
CNBC's Squawk Box: "We wanted something that would be a name that would connect all the brands -- Yahoo, AOL, Huffington Post, TechCrunch, Gadget."
Yahoo and AOL brand names will remain.
Brands are going to win the Internet.
A spokeswoman for AOL said to CNN: "In the summer of 2017, you can bet we will be launching one of the most disruptive brand companies in digital."

Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 1:05 PM - Response #21

Joan: re: Verizon: a suggestion is to word Verizon email to your classmates after first checking with Verizon in your locale. Of course, classmates reside in a variety of locales. My classmates who have a Verizon account happen to reside in the same locale.
You might consider changing Verizon wording for your Verizon classmates: "to remain alert".

Re: your classmates who are yahoo & AOL customers - it's too soon to know exactly what will occur (if anything). My opinion is to alert my classmates to changes that might occur this summer.

Edited 04/15/17 4:20 PM
Saturday, April 15, 2017 at 7:44 PM - Response #22

Dear Elena,

Thank you so much for sending me the emails you used to notify your classmates about possible changes to their Verizon,AOL/Yahoo accounts. I will use your suggestions and notify my classmates who have Verizon/AOL/Yahoo accounts.

Joan Schutz Mohlman
Madeira Class of 1965

Sunday, April 16, 2017 at 11:40 AM - Response #23

Joan,
With pleasure. I've received such good tips from other Admin on the Forums - share and share alike!
elena

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 11:24 AM - Response #24

When a Verizon.net user migrates to AOL webmail using a mobile device, this will appear below the message:
Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

Edited 04/25/17 11:35 AM
Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 11:56 AM - Response #25

Have received several similar requests - posting as an example for Admin who have classmates using verizon.net

We recently heard the news that Verizon will no longer be hosting your verizon.net email account, but we would love to remain in touch with you. If you would care to continue to receive your appointment notifications and confirmations via email, please just respond to this email with your new email address.

Edited 05/10/17 12:31 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.