ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Activating Domain Name

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 02/03/09 08:51 AM Views: 1466 Replies: 10
Tuesday, February 3, 2009 at 8:51 AM

I have a question about activating my domain name. I transferred it from another registrar. This morning I got the "Transferred Successfully" message from classnames.net. I went to the "Register Domains" page at classcreator.com and entered my domain name, clicked the "Activate Your Domain Name Now" button and got a "Thank You!" message in return. I entered my domain in the address field and it still goes to the old site.

Now I've transferred a domain name in the past and my recollection is that it takes time for the change to trickle through all of the name servers on the internet, but I'm not sure the average person setting up a domain through this service would be aware of that. And your domain registration page clearly states "Instant activation: Our new system makes your domain name active instantaneously. No delay!" I think this is misleading and should probably be clarified, even if just with an asterisk and corresponding footnote about this "trickle" effect that is beyond your control. Or am I missing something?

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 at 1:04 PM - Response #1

The instant activation statement applies when you are initially purchasing a domain name through Classnames.net, in which case it really does activate instantly. Transferring as you've pointed out is a different ballgame. For transferring domain names we've written detailed instructions in our FAQs page under "Questions About Domain Names" which should cover just about everything.

I'll have Jess take a quick look at this and make sure you're all set -- shouldn't be too long.

Edited 02/03/09 1:05 PM
Tuesday, February 3, 2009 at 1:08 PM - Response #2

I should have looked before writing that. I see the domain is already working.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 at 1:37 PM - Response #3

Yes, I'm all set up, have sent an e-mail to everyone who was registered on the old site, and have already had several register on the new one! Hooray!

I just think it might be nice to change that page so that it's a little more clear. I was initially confused when my site didn't show up immediately and thought something had gone wrong. I had to think back several years to the last time I transferred a domain before I figured out what was going on. And many people who transfer their domains here may be transferring the domain for the very first time and not understand the delay at all. I'm not upset at all, but merely suggest that changing the way this claim is worded could avoid future confusion.

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 at 3:28 PM - Response #4

Well I just done updated it then. Smile I added this note to the page:

Note: If you are transferring an existing domain name to Classnames.net, there may be a small delay before your name becomes active. For full details and step-by-step transer instructions please see the Domain Names section of our FAQs page.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 at 3:32 PM - Response #5

Thank you so much! I think that will help a lot of people. In the meantime, I'm LOVING our new site!!! You guys have done an outstanding job of building a set of tools tailored to social networking for class reunions!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 1:28 AM - Response #6

Thanks Charlie. We're just gettin' started.

Monday, March 2, 2009 at 1:53 PM - Response #7

Hi Brad. Just a quick question with the Domain Name. It replaces the name we have now with your site? So, we give out the domain name INSTEAD of yours? Also, do we end up paying for your site AND the domain name yearly? thanks, Cindy

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 3:33 AM - Response #8

Yes, you should give out your domain name instead of your longer classcreator system address. However, the classcreator system address will always continue to work even if you purchase a domain name. It's much more user friendly to give out your domain name though. Yes, a domain name is something optional you can purchase to use with your Class Creator web site. Yes, it is billed separately from your Class Creator web site subscription.

Thursday, April 23, 2009 at 6:34 PM - Response #9

How do you define a small delay? I transferred a domain name today. About 2.5 hrs ago I got this message from classnames.net The following domain names were transferred successfully and are now ready for management When I enter my domain name, I am coming up at a search page. How long will it be? Thanks.

Friday, April 24, 2009 at 8:14 AM - Response #10

Really need HELP hereShocked....I sent a detailed note to Contact Us. I now received a note that Domain name is not registered!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.