ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

New Message Forum Post "Emails"

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 05/31/14 10:52 AM Views: 847 Replies: 4
Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Please someone tell me how to turn OFF the email notifications....We are very fortunate to have an active group of forum posters, just hitting 35,000 posts.

But privacy is paramount in our forum and many regulars are threatening a boycott.

I'm not saying this is not a great feature, just not for our group. I would probably turn the feature on every six months or so for a day or two just to remind people.

Please help!!

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 1:26 PM - Response #1

Sounds like the direct result of CC turning on daily notifications for EVERYONE that had not made selections. You can't control this. Only the classmate can reset.

CC can manually reset your site to the prior state, however, your comment once more underlines that overall this change was NOT desired and CC should reset everyone back to the prior state.

CC argues that the change was overall considered positive. From the sampling of posts here, I doubt very much that the majority disagrees with me Wink

(There are also email spam considerations to consider, but that will become more apparent as time goes by.)

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 4:12 PM - Response #2

You're right Jack. But I would point out that those who are unhappy with the results of the change are voicing their concerns while those who are happy with the results have no reason to complain.

Saturday, May 31, 2014 at 4:52 PM - Response #3

Absence of data is not a valid argument. Very Happy

What is really happening is that inactive sites (ours is one of them) doesn't generate many emails. I suspect most sites are like ours. Therefore they don't complain since there is nothing to worry about. I did a preemptive move since I know for certain what will happen if somehow mass Notifies started going out.

All the sites you see that are complaining are the ones with very high activity one way or another. The only valid argument is to see posts from an active class (hundred or so emails a day) and saying that everyone is very happy with this. That sort of defies common sense. Nobody wants that many emails - I don't for sure.

But more importantly, CC really violated a basic principle of subscribing classmates to emails by default. Wrong and wrong. I can give you a zillion links that explain why that is not only bad practice but makes you eligible for a Black List (google opt-in for emails which is what this is).

There is no defense here. Especially doing this without discussion or an option for admins.

The only way to get a valid answer is to actually do a survey of about 500 active classes. The question would have to be directed to those with activity, otherwise all you are getting is a survey of sites that are not active.

Edited 05/31/14 4:52 PM
Monday, June 2, 2014 at 5:08 PM - Response #4

Jack and John,
Thank you for the feedback.

First off I think the emails are a good thing overall. I can see where they are very beneficial to forums that are trying to get started.

Our situation is a little different in the fact that I am pleasantly surprised that our forum is still going strong five to six years out.

The complaints I'm getting are not from the classmates getting the email notifications, it's from the core group forum posters who use the forum like a private facebook.

I mean private in that they can say anything let me repeat "ANYTHING" without hearing about it on the five o'clock news.

Well now their COLORFUL - OPINIONATED remarks are being hand delivered to every classmates email with their name and quotation marks!!

Not so good when spouses start asking questions because their partner was on the forum and she got the comments emailed to her/him.

Yes I know the classmates can go on the forum and read it and yes there are lurkers, but this has the ability to stop the positive momentum are site has been able to enjoy.

I agree with you that had the cc not opted everyone in (which is what they did). My problem would be solved.

So if they can reset the options ......or if I can go through and turn off each option for each classmate??????

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.