ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Greeting card or letter

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 07/14/12 10:29 AM Views: 2585 Replies: 10
Saturday, July 14, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Hi;
At our reunion we had some get-well cards set out to sign for some of our classmates who are facing challenging illnesses. We didn't announce it, and we got relatively few signatures. (Live and learn)

I was thinking: what if we had the ability to create a card or letter (could be for a get-well card to a classmate or a thank you for use of a venue to a classmate or business, etc)

People could include a short note along with their names (in place of a signature)
example:

"Get well soon, John, we miss you,
Bob & Carol"

They could choose a font/color for variety and creativity. The letter or card would show everyone's message, just like passing around a card for everyone to sign.
We could have the option of printing it to mail or sending via email.

Format ideas:
- a border around it in school colors
- a header that could include the logo as well as a customizable salutation:
"Dear __"
"To Whom It May Concern"
"From your classmates"
"From the class of __"
"In appreciation of __"

- the ability to extend to more than one page if participation were high.

Just an idea that was kicking around my head at 3:00 in the morning - had to type it out to get some sleep!

Thanks
Judy

Edited 07/14/12 10:30 AM
Monday, July 16, 2012 at 11:33 AM - Response #1

Sounds like a nice suggestion. I'll put it on the wishlist for review as a potential feature to be added.

Monday, July 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM - Response #2

Great idea. In the meantime, our class has a "Sunshine chair" who sends a tangible note to any classmate any time we hear of a need. The notecard has our school seal on it, which is easily done on the computer. And we have a "Sunshine Corner" as one of our links where we list serious problems, family deaths, or nice happenings, along with posting some as an announcement on the home page. Then classmates may also send their own cards.

Monday, July 16, 2012 at 6:14 PM - Response #3

Sounds like a possible CC spinoff app.... The Reconnect Collection. LOL I'm just playin'. Good idea! Thanks for hitting the keys before the pillow! Smile

Monday, July 16, 2012 at 8:50 PM - Response #4

I like the idea of adding a link called "Sunshine Corner" but I have used all the blank buttons. Is there a way to add another one?

Monday, July 16, 2012 at 10:12 PM - Response #5

You can add extra pages by using Survey Pages but don't add any survey questions. Use Survey Maker to create the page

Saturday, July 21, 2012 at 11:33 PM - Response #6

Okay, Kyle, I added a Sunshine Corner using a Survey Page, but when I go in like a classmate, I can't type on it. Now what?

Saturday, July 21, 2012 at 11:58 PM - Response #7

What Diana is saying as that an admin posts which classmates are having problems. Regular classmates cannot post to the page. Survey pages are just like custom pages -- they are only meant to show information, not have a conversation with classmates.

To have a conversation where classmates can post comments, you must use the User Forums or the Message Forum.

Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 12:42 AM - Response #8

Okay, gotcha. Thanks

Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 2:40 AM - Response #9

On my alumni site, I had a request from one of my classmates to share that her sister is in a tough battle with lung cancer. She gave me her sister's address for cards of support. Knowing there are those who may send a message is they can do it now (online) but may not write an actual note I posted the following to our Prayers & Concerns page and sent it in an email to all:

Thoughts, Prayers and Support

Warriors put up a good fight
and we go into battle together.

This month, July 2012, (alum's name) '71 began a battle with lung cancer. We are asked to keep (first name), her husband and family in our thoughts and prayers.

(first name)'s sister, (name) '70, offers (first name)'s address for cards of support.
(name)
(address)
(city,state zip)

Should you prefer to write a message here, please use the Contact Us form. Enter "For (first name)" in the subject line and write your message. Site webmaster, Gwen Reinboldt Corey '70, will send your message via postal mail.

Friday, July 27, 2012 at 9:43 PM - Response #10

This is a post as a follow up to the one I posted on July 22nd. I had a message similar to the one above on my alumni site due to the death of a coach's wife. After receiving several messages from alumni, I prepared the following in Word:

• I inserted a screen shot of the page, which included the full page "Family Prayers" with the photo and obit from our home area paper. Of course, our entire site - header and all was included.
  • The following five pages were the messages from the alumni.
  • At the end, I added a message to Coach.

This week, I spoke with a director at the funeral home who was more than happy to accept the pages via email (as a PDF) and send them to Coach. I sent it immediately as an email attachment and called her back. She opened the email, printed the pages and said they would go out in the next day's mail. I am confident Coach has received the messages by now and am sure he will appreciate seeing the complete site in our school colors with his wife's photo and obituary.

As I have written on another post about a classmate battling cancer, 'Once a Warrior, always a Warrior.'

Moments like this make me feel so good about the time I give to the sites and now in training others to assist with the alumni site.

Edited 07/27/12 10:03 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.