ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Lynin' Alignment

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 05/13/09 11:24 AM Views: 1350 Replies: 7
Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Hi Brad and Staff!

I'm having alignment problems on one part of my site. I choose Left Alignment in edit mode; it adknowledges it; but Center Alignment remains in real mode. I've tried this several times with the same result.

The problem began May 11 when I added the new story, which is correct. Almost everything after is centered and can't be changed--by me.

Fenger High School, 1958
http://forums.classcreator.com/message_edit.cfm?forumid=F71C319B-AE1B-5492-72608E2C972D6F45

Thanks for your help,
Carole

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 11:51 AM - Response #1

I'm just running out the door to some meetings so I can't look until later tonight, but do me a favor and look in your source code. You should see that each new paragarph begins with a

tag. I want you to go into any paragraph that is centering, and to that P tag I want you to add this: align ="left"

In other words, instead of just the

tag alone, the whole tag would read like this:

Your paragarph then begins here...

Let me know if this works for you.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 4:20 PM - Response #2

I added the phrase as you said and it shows up in both the real mode and the edit mode. The alignment is still centered. Wierd, huh?

Carole

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 6:19 PM - Response #3

Oops, you can ONLY add that while in Source view. I.E. click on "Source" in the upper left corner, and then add the

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 6:25 PM - Response #4

I did add it in Source view and it turned up in edit and real.

Carole

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 11:10 PM - Response #5

Oh shoot! You came incredibly close. It's not:

align="left">

It's

That unnecessary > after the P messed it up. Also, you do have to do this in Source view only. There had to be at least some of these you did in the visual view which will not work.

I went ahead and cleaned up all of those ones where you were seeing the code due to the unneeded >. There's still a few centered paragraphs though. Please go into Source view before those paragraphs and simply place this alone before the text begins:

Basically, this tells the system to align your text to the left no matter what type of centering optoins you may still have turned on prior to the place on the page the paragraph begins.

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 12:06 AM - Response #6

Thanks, Brad. This is working, but I'm really confused as to why this happened. All was well until I added the story on May 11. I can't imagine what I did to change the alignment on parts I didn't even look at on that day. I know I didn't go through and add the ">" between "p" and "align"--at least I didn't do it intentionally.

Also, I never had to go into source before to change the alignment. The edit mode always took care of it. Any idea what might have happened and why edit mode doesn't work this time? If not, at least I know what to do if I unwittingly mess it up.

Again, thanks!
Carole

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 1:46 AM - Response #7

I didn't scrutinize the code, but most likely somewhere in there a centering tag got turned on that never got turned back off. Our editor in some cases may display html a little differently from your browser. Your actual browser must have been getting "caught up" on a non closing center tag somewhere. I could probably find it if I scrutinized the entire document, but adding the

is just as well.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.