ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Setting up a VETERANS page

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 05/13/09 11:17 AM Views: 2622 Replies: 20
Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Have any of you set up a Veterans page to honor you class veterans? I thought I saw something about one but can't seem to find it again. If so would you please email me and give me some ideas of what you had on it etc. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks Faye

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 11:58 AM - Response #1

Hi Faye,

Have a look at our site - I set up a 'Honors & Tributes' page - need any help let me know.
Betty

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 12:01 PM - Response #2

I'll unlock mine for today so you can take a peek.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 2:48 PM - Response #3

Our site has a Veteran Page if you would like to take a look at it. Libann

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 3:53 PM - Response #4

Some very nice tributes on all of your pages.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 11:19 PM - Response #5

I love your sights, all of you. How did you get all the information you have. Did you call everyone and then search the web for those who died? I can learn alot from all your web pages. I will keep your emails for future when I get started if that is ok. I'm sure I will need all the help I can get.
Faye

Edited 05/13/09 11:23 PM
Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 4:15 PM - Response #6

I'll try to find my forum post where I described how we got all of information. I'll email when I find it.

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 5:40 PM - Response #7

Thank You so much, that would be great.
Faye

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 6:37 PM - Response #8

Faye,

I'll unprotect our Tribute to Our Veterans page so you can check it out. If you see anything you like, feel free to copy it. I have also linked our veterans to their profile page. It's a great thing we are doing - honoring our very own heroes.

Blessings,

Pam

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 2:10 PM - Response #9

I would like that! Thanks
Faye

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 5:46 PM - Response #10

Thank you Pam. Everyone's Veterans page are so different. I guess there is no set way to do it. You have all given me a ton of ideas and I think I'm well on my way with phone calls. We had one student say he was only in the guard and didn't go to vietnam or anything important. he was ashamed he fill out he was in the military. Those guys are special too. It will be good to homor them all. I'm so glad you let me see your web pages and it helps a great deal. Thanks again.
Faye

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 2:10 PM - Response #11

Faye Hall wrote:

Have any of you set up a Veterans page to honor you class veterans? I thought I saw something about one but can't seem to find it again. If so would you please email me and give me some ideas of what you had on it etc. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks Faye

Faye,

Please check out our In Honor...page. Please note that I am still waiting on most of the classmates to provide their photos to me, but other than that, the page is an ongoing task. I consider it done and then I find something else to add to it. I hope that you can get some inspiration from it as I have gotten praise on it from a few admins. We are very proud of what we've put together.

It was suggested to Brad that a Veterans page be set up, kind of like the In Memory page, so that the system would automatically update the information...not sure how that might be coming along. Something to ask him about, perhaps.

Good luck!
Vicki

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 10:22 PM - Response #12

It's on the list but honestly something we won't be able to look at for quite awhile.

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 2:18 PM - Response #13

You've got an awesome page Vicki. Thanks for letting me take a look at it. Your site looks really nice. I did take a couple of pictures and I thank you for them. People helping people, (Huh Brad!) Thanks again,
Faye

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 10:52 PM - Response #14

Faye Hall wrote:

You've got an awesome page Vicki. Thanks for letting me take a look at it. Your site looks really nice. I did take a couple of pictures and I thank you for them. People helping people, (Huh Brad!) Thanks again,
Faye

Faye,
Help Yourself! I'm just glad to help you out!

Vicki

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 6:29 AM - Response #15

Well I hope it is true that imitation is the highest form of flattery. I confess to having taken many ideas from others forums. Sometimes when I can't sleep (like tonight)I come here and check others sites. Betty - consider yourself flattered. Vicki - I love your poem on your memorial page too.

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 7:41 AM - Response #16

I recieved the following explaining Taps, that might interest those who have Veteran pages:

WHY "TAPS" IS PLAYED:

If any of you have ever been to a military funeral in which "Taps" was played; this brings out a new meaning to it.

Here is something every American should know...but most don't, until they read this: We in the United States have all heard the haunting song, "Taps". It's the song that gives us that lump in our throats, and usually tears in our eyes. But, do you know the story behind the song? If not, I think you will be interested to find out about its humble beginnings.

Reportedly, it all began in 1862 during the Civil War, when Union Army Captain Robert Ellicombe was with his men near Harrison's Landing in Virginia. The Confederate Army was on the other side of the narrow strip of land. During the night, Captain Ellicombe heard the moans of a soldier who lay severely wounded on the field. Not knowing if it was a Union or Confederate soldier, the Captain decided to risk his life and bring the stricken man back for medical attention. Crawling on his stomach through the gunfire, the Captain reached the stricken soldier and began pulling him toward his encampment.

When the Captain finally reached his own lines, he discovered it was actually a Confederate soldier, but the soldier was dead. The Captain lit a lantern and suddenly caught his breath and went numb with shock. In the dim light, he saw the face of the soldier. It was his own son. The boy had been studying music in the South when the war broke out. Without telling his father, the boy enlisted in the
Confederate Army.

The following morning, heartbroken, the father asked permission of his superiors to give his son a full military burial, despite his enemy status. His request was only partially granted. The Captain had asked if he could have a group of Army band members play a funeral dirge for his son at the funeral. The request was turned down since the soldier was a Confederate. But, out of respect for the father, they did say they would give him one musician.

The Captain chose a bugler. He asked the bugler to play a series of musical notes he had found on a piece of paper in the pocket of the dead youth's uniform. This wish was granted. The haunting melody, we now know as "Taps" used at military funerals was born!

The words are:

Day is done ... Gone the sun
From the lakes ... From the hills ...
From the sky.

All is well. Safely rest.
God is nigh.

Fading light. Dims the sight.
And a star ... Gems the sky
Gleaming bright

From afar.
Drawing nigh.
Falls the night.

Thanks and praise ... For our days.
Neat the sun ... Neat the stars...
Neat the sky.

As we go... This we know.
God is nigh.

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 8:34 AM - Response #17

I love it Ann I have added it to Our Veterans page as well as a U-tube video of The Taps.
Thanks so much for sharing!

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 8:31 AM - Response #18

That's great! I also posted it on our site and forwarded it on to some servicemembers in my family and that I used to work with when I was in.

Thanks again!
Vicki

Monday, June 15, 2009 at 7:59 PM - Response #19

I was just reading through some forum posts and found this veteran's discussion. We don't have a veteran's page per se, as probably 80% of all the male students were career military. Too many service academy grads to count. We are a bunch of "military brats" from a government high school in Paris France.
However, I do have a link to this page, it's a stirring tribute.

http://objflicks.com/MoreThanAName.htm

Monday, June 15, 2009 at 8:43 PM - Response #20

Thank you for sharing this beautiful tribute!
Thanks so much to you, and all the "military brats", who too, serve long before they know it, as the family serves also. And Thank you for all of your service!
As one of only a handful of veterans from our class (mid 70's were not the best of recruiting years) it is part of my mission to let those know that we shall never forget, and Freedom isn't Free. Thanks, Doug Platt for the idea to use the extra survey page, where i will make a patriotic page, also trying to post all the excellent things "borrowed" from so many of you! Today is National Man's Day and in honor of Father's Day, i stole the youtube from the history column that recently featured John Wayne and his tribute to America! John Phillips Sousa and the military hymnsare going to lead the way for the 4th of July!
Thank you to so many of you that have helped me develop my very poor computer skills and have shared so generously with so much! You (and Brad and his crew of course) are the Best!
Hopefully our very apathetic class can gain some thing from all of your efforts and will make an attempt to show up at a reunion while we still can!
Words Fail, but Thanks again!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.