ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Offsite pages

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 05/13/09 11:05 AM Views: 1544 Replies: 10
Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 11:05 AM

On our site we found a need for an index page through which classmates could find their old elementary school class photos. I built an index page in Dreamweaver and uploaded it to my business site, which is for the most part stagnant but has a lot of unused server space. I then linked it to the main site. The pages all open in a 'new' page so we don't lose our audience at the main site. Is this procedure "okay" with you all, or would you suggest something different.

The class creator page is: http://www.classcreator.com/Spokane-WA-West-Valley-1964/class_custom3.cfm

Look for the index link at the bottom.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 11:41 AM - Response #1

Yes, it's absolutely ok, and you did it very nicely.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 12:01 PM - Response #2

Thank you for the compliment it is much appreciated. For background, we are in the process of deciding on a name, and will be registering a domain name with you in the next day or so.

I understand from reading through the forums, that I can upload a lot of 'pages' into your servers. But would I be able to load items like my index page, or is that better kept off your servers.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 4:26 PM - Response #3

Hey, great stuff,

How did you make the Home Page so when you click the pics they get bigger. I've been trying to do that but can't figure it out.

Ken Nelson
pugo46@yahoo.com

www.auburn1964.com

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 5:45 PM - Response #4

Ken,
It is proably easier than might think. First you have to upload TWO photos. One in a small size for the Home page, and the second is the larger size that you want to see when you click on the small one. I loaded the big one a full 150 dpi so that when it was enlarged by the user, it still looked good. Remember to name them differently so you don't get confused as to which is which.

Add the smaller photo to the home page using the yellow "Image Button". Then click on the photo itself, and then on the chain link icon (Make the photo a link). When the link dialog box opens, you will now see the File Vault button and click on that. When you open the file vault, be sure that the dialog box in the upper left is set to images and not to file. Find the larger of the two photos in the file vault, and "Insert" it. (There is an insert button that appears when you highlight the desired photo).

That is all you need do, and when you click on the photo (now with a tell-tale blue border), you will be taken to the large sized photo.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 5:58 PM - Response #5

Ben Curtis wrote:

Thank you for the compliment it is much appreciated. For background, we are in the process of deciding on a name, and will be registering a domain name with you in the next day or so.

I understand from reading through the forums, that I can upload a lot of 'pages' into your servers. But would I be able to load items like my index page, or is that better kept off your servers.

Better off the servers, because the main index page is programmed to pull in your site template. Every other page is also programmed to pull in the site template for that matter. In the system you currently have all of your default pages plus up to 8 Customizable Links, but for now you cannot create unlimited pages. You can upload unlimited files up to your file limit though, which could possibly be what you're thinking of.

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 11:46 AM - Response #6

Ben,
Your site is great! If you don't mind me asking how did you get the cork board background and how did you put your pics on like the way you did, to make it look like you actually stuck a pin in them to hold them in place?Smile

Yvette

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 12:43 PM - Response #7

The corkboard background is a simple repeating square the panels seamlessly as long and wide as the page goes. Then we put the objects on the background initially using Adobe Photoshop. But if you turn off the corkboard background in Photoshop and save the objects ONLY as a png file with 24 bit transparency, you can then pop them right onto the same background in a web browser and all of the shadows, etc. will be perfectly preserved. Essentially, saving images as png files with transparency allows you to reconstruct things on the web very much like you build them in Adobe Photoshop.

If you want to get into making more advanced web graphics and things like that, the very best thing you can do is pick up a copy of Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop, and a couple of starter books. Photoshop really isn't so hard -- you'd be surprised how far you can get in just a couple of days of learning.

Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 2:08 PM - Response #8

Brad? Do you ever sleep? You guys are amazing and your customer service is next to none. Way to go!!

Here is another .png example of what you can do with a little photoshop experience.....

Missing Students

Very Happy

Edited 05/17/09 8:38 PM
Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 10:19 PM - Response #9

Contrary to popular belief, at some point ever day I do actually sleep. Smile

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 12:12 AM - Response #10

Ben I really like your Missing Classmates link. Brad thank you for the info, I really need to get one of those programs you suggested. Thank you, to both of you! Very Happy

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.