ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Reply address on emails

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 09/04/13 11:05 PM Views: 1006 Replies: 8
Wednesday, September 4, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Is there any way to insert a real email address on messages generated by the site--especially User Forum and Message Forum messages & anything generated by the admin? Mine all go out as "noreply@classcreator.com". Did I miss something in the setup? People think they can reply because it looks like a reply address but it bounces back.

That's a huge feature in Facebook--making it possible to respond to a thread without going to the site or thinking twice about it.

Classmates have told me they'd like to join the conversation when they get emails but they just don't know how. The level of internet savvy is severely lacking in a group as old as ours.

Thanks

Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 12:02 AM - Response #1

Hi Ted,

You did not miss something. All email does go out as 'noreply..."

I sent an email this evening to 600+ alumni. Your emails will have your email address in place of my site address in this copy/paste from the email I sent. It is found in the bottom of the email - in the small print: "This message has been sent to you from info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com. You cannot reply directly. Click here if you wish to start a new email to info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.com. "

Most of us...saavy and not so... tend not to read every word. It becomes habit and we miss this detail.

If you visit other admins' sites (click on the "view site" button to the left of their posts here in these forums), you will find many have instructions on the home page or a 'how to use this site' page that include this detail. While there is no guarantee all our classmates will read this, we do our best to inform them. It doesn't hurt to send the info via email once every six months or so, too.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 1:43 AM - Response #2

Ted and Gwen,

The last two emails I've received, sent to Everyone from my co-admins, showed up in my mailbox with the From: line displaying the co-admin's full name. Clicking on Reply looks perfectly normal but right clicking on To: name and checking the properties shows that they spoofed the name and it's really noreply@classcreator.com.

For most of our classmembers, replying to that message would appear to be a normal and reasonable action to reply to the sender name displayed.

Worse, there's 'fine print' at the bottom which tells everyone "This message came from xxxxx@yyyy.com - the co-admin's personal email address. There is a small disclaimer right after that which does say "You can't reply to this message". And then, after that, a link which says "Click here if you want to send a new email message to xxxxx@yyy.com".

That's three for three. A "From:" which appears normal and would appear to invite a reply, and showing the sender's personal email address in two places.

As you said Gwen, not everyone reads all the 'fine print' at the bottom, but I find all three of these things to be potential problems. I'd much rather see the actual noreply@ address (plus disclaimer) and perhaps a link back to the bottom of the sender's profile (forcing a log-in) to send her an internal message.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 9:34 AM - Response #3

John,

It seems to me that you have stored your co-admin's NAME in your email address book to be associated with "noreply@classcreator.com". If you go to your email address book and look at his name, if the address is not his email address, but is the noreply e-mail address, just delete him from the address book.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 9:36 AM - Response #4

I agree with your observations, Robert, but i'd like to have the option of a real reply address on the email. I feel it would enhance communication significantly.

I also think small print is meant to hide. Why hide as important a piece of information as how to respond to the message?

I think that since the message is sent to an email account that requires login, I don't mind having the personal email address exposed. But it could be an option or it could go to "centralhghschoolclassof1963admin@classcreator.com" and be redirected by a simple lookup table.

One way or the other, a valid reply address would be my suggestion for improvement.

Thanks

PS Here's an example. I sent out a message promoting the next reunion--a 70th Birthday Party. I included a link back to the User Forum. This classmate is a highly accomplished businessman. His response: "Ted, Thanks for all your work on reunion....I like Bday idea , actually turning 70 , to me , is bigger deal then I graduated 50 yrs ago. But I an unable to click on any of the links to respond on your recent info letter. Thanks Clark"

Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 9:54 AM - Response #5

The only way to have your real email address on the reply-to address is if it were being sent from your REAL EMAIL ACCOUNT. The only way for us to do that is if you purchased the PLATINUM subscription package which comes with an e-mail account.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 10:37 AM - Response #6
email_Name_spoof.jpg

Kyle, The address book was a good thought, but the name shown in the From: line is the full First, Maiden, Last name as shown on our web site.

She is in my Outlook Express address book, but only as First Last, and with her own private email address.

Thinking that it might be something in the address book at my ISP's mail server, I remembered that I'd used another ISP's mail address that came with my DSL account when I set up a test member. It's normally used as a 'throwaway' account for web sites which insist on an email address, and has an empty address book - locally in my mail client, and on the mail host. I checked there, and it's the same.

Check the attached display of the raw email. In the first one, toward the bottom, it's obvious that the From name was spoofed.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 10:57 AM - Response #7

Aha! I didn't see the significance of that when we enrolled.

The Class creator site was credited with really enhancing our reunion so I may be able to get support for upgrading to Platinum. I looked in the profile & don't see anything about what plan we're on & for how long we paid. Can you help with that?

Thanks

Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM - Response #8

You are a Premium subscriber through 11/14/2015. You can do any upgrades by going to your Subscription link at the bottom of the left navigation.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.