ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

What's New Comment Key word switch

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/16/15 07:23 PM Views: 1262 Replies: 12
Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 7:23 PM

Is there a way to search for a word in the What's New Thread. Please see this question posed to me by a classmate:
Steve The question is: when someone comments on our website, why doesn't the site go directly to place where the ... "want to read more" ... icon indicates, instead of going to the top of your web page and have one to try and scroll out where the the comment is for them to read and respond to. Comprende? The computer's response should go directly to where the comment is posted. There's so much going on I get lost.

Can one search for a key word? In this case we had a comment about the fear of polio in the 1950s. Someone wanted to comment and could not find the topic easily. Thank You.

Monday, August 17, 2015 at 1:34 PM - Response #1

What's New is - as it was designed to be - a chronological list of site activity. And most entries include a link to where that activity was originally posted.

But a keyword search would be a handy tool and a nice touch.

Monday, August 17, 2015 at 9:44 PM - Response #2

I will forward the suggestion for consideration.

Monday, August 17, 2015 at 9:44 PM - Response #3

I will forward the suggestion for consideration.

Monday, August 17, 2015 at 10:50 PM - Response #4

Keyword search would be a great addition, just like we can do on the Help & Tips page as admins!

Monday, August 17, 2015 at 11:06 PM - Response #5

Can you give me an example on your site of a want to read more icon that's doing this?

Monday, August 17, 2015 at 11:45 PM - Response #6

Brad, I can't speak for the other Steve, but I imagine this would be a handy feature to look up specific events or persons that posts/pages were made on.

Also, adding a search to the Message Forum [I follow a very active one on another site {1282 pages to date}] would be a hand tool as well.

Or perhaps, a 'search' block available on almost EVERY page?
{I can envision the programmers going bald trying to do this though. Might be too big a task for them.}

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 10:39 AM - Response #7

As a stop gap - you probably know this - but all browsers support searching on a page - CTRL+F - opens up a search box on top, bottom or a dialog (or 'FIND' as a menu choice) depending on browser.

Main disadvantage is it only searches stuff that has been loaded, not pages that load as one scrolls as in FB and WN.

I use it all the time on all websites to find stuff.

However, it would be nice to have a GLOBAL search function, not just for a page. Think EBAY where you can search the whole site or just specific subset areas. OR even this forum which has pretty much the same sort of search concept. It's nothing really new. IOW been there done that Idea (WN type loading is a bit different, but don't think it will have more data than this forum to search.)

STEVE STEIN wrote:

Or perhaps, a 'search' block available on almost EVERY page?

Thursday, August 27, 2015 at 5:01 AM - Response #8

I like that idea....Hey...Brad...can we go with a search box for every page?????

Friday, August 28, 2015 at 2:30 PM - Response #9

Will discuss. At the moment we're all focused on getting the new "Super Template" out the door. It's vital in so many ways. You'll be having a look at that....ooooh, very soon. Very soon.

Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 4:09 AM - Response #10

What about an back to top...so you don't have to scroll all the way up..I know I can use the back button on the browser.
quote="Brad Switzer"]Will discuss. At the moment we're all focused on getting the new "Super Template" out the door. It's vital in so many ways. You'll be having a look at that....ooooh, very soon. Very soon.[/quote]

Sunday, August 30, 2015 at 7:14 PM - Response #11

on Windows browsers, CTRL-HOME takes you to the top of the browser content window and CTRL-END will take you to the bottom.

Sunday, August 30, 2015 at 10:50 PM - Response #12

Reminds me of a "test" MS gave me where they asked me a whole bunch of questions that revolved around arcane Window KEYBOARD commands to perform various tasks (there are a whole bunch of them). I failed.

Additionally reminds me though that is one of the annoying thing on touch devices - some things that are so simple with a KB are a royal PIA. Like this example by Darlene.

Sounds like an interesting concept to put a consistent "home" icon/? somewhere - sort of like the more or less standard "option" icon on touch screen apps.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.