ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Limit public viewing on Home Page?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/08/14 11:12 PM Views: 925 Replies: 3
Friday, August 8, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Is there any possible way to limit public viewing of our High School website's HOME PAGE, when anyone clicks on the URL website??

Another thing is that when I have logged out of my website,I click on the URL, and can see the home page, all other links are password protected,THEN, If I have the website open, (minimized) then click on another tab, typed in my H.S website's URL, then, I can see everything! All access.
So its VERY IMPORTANT TO LOG OFF YOUR SITE, EVERY TIME!

Saturday, August 9, 2014 at 12:37 AM - Response #1

At Edit Site Pages/Home Page there are many checkboxes that allow you to require that a person be logged on to view that content. You can go even further by restricting your entire home page to classmates only, ie to those that are logged on. A downside to the latter approach is that classmates would find it more difficult to join.

Saturday, August 9, 2014 at 12:19 PM - Response #2

Yes, what F C said. By using things like Announcements, and making them visible or not visible as you see fit, you can craft one version of your home page for classmates who are not logged in, and another for classmates who are logged in. For instance, you could create one announcement for "not logged in only" that describes how to join your web site etc. And then make many more announcements for "logged in only" that contain the information you want only your classmates to see.

Saturday, August 9, 2014 at 10:21 PM - Response #3

I found that if you limit your homepage to members of the website, it sometimes takes away their feeling of privacy about the site, but more than that, it makes Classmates who have no yet joined experience a 'peek-a-boo' to the site attributes (comradry,gossip, genuine help from friends of your own era, experiences, & methodology of 'fixing things', who to ask and when,etc..
I found the latter to be much more helpful and enthusiastic than the former.. So I allow every visitor to view our home page hoping it will entice more alumni to join.
Barbara

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.