ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Ran out of bandwidth!

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/01/09 10:53 AM Views: 1422 Replies: 1
Wednesday, July 1, 2009 at 10:53 AM

I spend +- 3 hours per day on the internet, but I have never reached my bandwidth 3GB cap before, which I did two days before the end of June, during which month I set up our class reunion site on Class Creator.

Four questions:

1 Does the setting up process take an exraordinary amount of bandwidth?

2 I often show the whole reunion site to visitors (pictures, profiles, and all)- is it not possible to save the reunion site on my PC?

3 Does the repitition of 2 above use a lot of bandwidth?

4 Does the fact that I have registered our own domain have any effect on bandwidth usage?

Thanks for a GREAT service!

Wednesday, July 1, 2009 at 11:23 AM - Response #1

1). No. But if you have an Internet connection with a bandwidth limit, I wouldn't do something like put a Playlist player on your home page and then listen to it. Stuff like that can just eat bandwidth alive. For the vast majority of users (who have no bandwidth limit) bandwidth is not an issue, but since it is for you, you definitely want to pay attention to things like streaming music and video and how often you use those types of elements.

2) Technically you're already saving it to your PC. Every time you load a page it caches on your own computer. And next time you load it, things like previously viewed images just load from your own hard drive. Most of Class Creator is database driven, so you can't actually save an offline copy of your site that you can navigate without a live Internet connection. But in terms of bandwidth anyway, I wouldn't wory about showing the site again and again, just look out for video and music elements as mentioned above.

3) Not really, baring letting streaming third party elements continually play.

4) No, your domain name has zero impact on your bandwidth usage. Your bandwidth usage is strictly how much information you are transferring to and from your computer, and has no bearing on having a domain name or not.

Edited 07/01/09 11:24 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.