ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Interactive

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/14/08 12:46 PM Views: 1690 Replies: 9
Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 12:46 PM

I'm just throwing this out there for discussion.

I would like to create couple of really simple contests, like posting photos of people's children, grandchildren or pets - numbering them - and then asking classmates to match the photos to their "owners." A variation might be posting classmate's own baby pictures. Or maybe just posting one photo every week as a reason for classmates to come back to the site over and over.

It would be nice to make it interactive - all in one place. Maybe there's a widget for something like this - I don't know.

I've thought about using the message forum as the place for people to post thier guesses - maybe even use the forum to post the photos. That might work.

Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 12:53 PM - Response #1

Hi Nancy! I like that idea. You could you the survey module to do it. I put a sample on my page "Classmate Quiz" -- password for the page is test.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 12:57 PM - Response #2

Thanks Beth! I couldn't get to your quiz, but I like the idea. I haven't really looked at the survey module, and you're right, that might be the way to go.

Thanks again!

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 1:05 PM - Response #3

Yea, my quiz wasn't anything fancy, I used the opening area of the page to upload the picture and it only had 1 question: Identify this classmate with a drop down of some choices. There's no way to tell them the "right" answer after they click to see the results.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 1:31 PM - Response #4

On the Task List (but not a priority) is a Quiz Module, which will basically just be a copy of the survey module with immediate answers and scoring. That will really fit the bill for this. But until then, yes, the Survey Maker is the way to go. You'd just have to post results manually.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 1:36 PM - Response #5

OK, thanks! I'm messing around with it now. It looks like it will work. I love this forum!

Also, on your task list (way, way, way down the road), are you planning to have an admin side of the site where we can view pages before they go live/active?

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 1:58 PM - Response #6

I have a task on "the list" to explore some type of preview feature. Until then you have a couple of options here:

Your editor is visual so you can have a pretty good approximation of what your content will look like once published. But if you are concerned about Classmates seeing changes that have not been finalized, I suggest you deactivate the page temporarily while you are working on it. Then activate it only when you are happy with it. The process for this would be:

1) View the page you want to edit and bookmark it.
2) Deactivate your page by unchecking it in the edit area.
3) Click edit and make your changes. Save.
4) View the page from your bookmark. It's still there even though you've deactivated it -- there's simply no link to it on your site while it's deactivated thus nobody could possibly get to it.
5) Repeat 1 through 4 as many times as necessary.
6) When satisfied activate your page again.

Or this:

1) Go into edit mode, click source, and copy all code.
2) Go into a non activate Customizable Link and paste the code.
3) Work on all changes using this "dummy page" until everything is perfect. Then copy back to your real page.

This way you wouldn't even have to deactivate a live page at all. And it would also work for your home page content. Yea I know, it's a little clumsy, but it would in fact give you the ability to work on a page that nobody else can see until you're ready.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 at 2:09 PM - Response #7

Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 9:13 PM - Response #8

Hey Nancy!! I just happened to look at your school name and seen you are from Rochester. I am doing our class of '89 for Stewartville. Just in case others are reading this we are like 10 miles apart. Kind of neat to see someone close to home using ths also. This place has been great!!!!!

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 at 10:55 AM - Response #9

Hi Mike!

Even on the Internet, it's a small world, huh?

My mom graduated from your fine high school, and my grandparents lived right down the road in Racine.

I agree, ClassCreator is big fun!

Nancy

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.