ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Showing Profiles

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/23/09 02:38 PM Views: 1406 Replies: 9
Monday, March 23, 2009 at 2:38 PM

I tried the "notmissing" in lower case and classmates still appear on "Missing Classmates" page. Maybe there are two questions here. I found under edit pages, edit missing classmate page where it talks about using "notmissing" which will delete classmates from that page. However, no mention of registered classmates being able to actually see the classmate profile I created using the "notmissing" entry for their email address. Are both suppose to happen or only the removal from the "missing" page? There has to be some way for registered class members to view the profiles of fellow classmates with out resorting to only considering them missing if they have no email address. See original question.
Lee Gilmore

Edited 03/23/09 3:40 PM
Monday, March 23, 2009 at 3:45 PM - Response #1

Three things for you)

1) Give me the name of the Classmate you are typing in "notmissing" for and I'll check it out.

2) "notmissing" will only remove the Classmate's name from the list. Their Profile is still fully viewable and accessible from the Classmate Profiles page.

3) Are you adding information for a non member? Non member info is not viewable unless you click on Manage Classmates, click the Enter/Edit Classmates button, and select the second radio button at the top of the page (to display Classmate Profile info added by an Admin even if the Classmate has not joined the web site).

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 3:47 PM - Response #2

Also make sure you type in notmissing in all lower case.

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 5:33 PM - Response #3

Site is www.limestone60.com. Four names I entered "notmissing" for and they still appear on Missing Classmates page. I also tried "not missing" with a space between the two words.

Jeff Fletcher, Sara Durham, Nancy Keith, Steven Bell.

If I check the second radio button it will show details for all classmates who have not created an account and who I have not been able to contact which I don't want to do since some may not want info released. Specifically, what I want to do is to allow registered classmates to view info of folks that I have contacted and who have provided profile info to me via phone or snail mail who DO NOT have internet access, can't provide an email address, but still want their info to be seen by classmates who have registered. (Getting a hotmail address will not do the trick since they can't get on line in the first place and even if they use a friends computer to get a hotmail address, registered users could not send them emails anyway.) Maybe the answer is a separate toggle on each detail page to allow or not allow info to be shown so I as an administrator can handle each case separately rather than trying to use the all encompassing second radio button.

Thank,

Lee Gilmore

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 5:50 PM - Response #4

You could just go ahead and create their profile for them. For their e-mail address, give a name like JeffFletcher1960@xxxyyy.com (not a real address, something that will bounce) and give a password "qwerty" or something like that. Then for the alternate e-mail, enter YOUR e-mail address. Then go ahead and enter all of the profile information that the classmate wants on the website.

In the classmate comments profile question that is visible, say to the classmates that this classmate doesn't have an e-mail, so don't try to communicate with them.

When someone tries to contact this classmate, the e-mail will go to the BAD e-mail address and to you. You will know which classmate they were trying to contact by the bounced e-mail that shows up. You will know which classmate is trying to send the information by the contents of the e-mail that gets sent to you. Just send back a reply that this classmate doesn't have e-mail capabilities.

Will this solution work?

Edited 03/23/09 5:50 PM
Monday, March 23, 2009 at 6:04 PM - Response #5

Brad,

Will give it a try. Any chance of the toggle switch I mentioned being instituted?

How about the four missing classmates I mentioned?

Thanks,

Lee Gilmore

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 6:20 PM - Response #6

Brad, It works. Thanks a lot. Still would like to solve the problem about still showing up on Missing Classmates page if not "notmissing" is entered as an email address. Lee Gilmore

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 6:46 PM - Response #7

We actually just figured out why that was happening. I'm going to spare you the details and give you the simple answer: "It's fixed."

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 6:55 PM - Response #8

Brad,

As usual, you guys are really on top of things. Hopefully my bringing this to your attention helped some other folks also. Plus, your suggestion really works like a charm.

Thanks,

Lee Gilmore

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 7:00 PM - Response #9

I think I owe Kyle for that one. The guy is so good he's kinda like an honorary Class Creator member. Heck sometimes we learn stuff from him. Smile

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.