ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Previewing while editing

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/05/08 03:07 PM Views: 2325 Replies: 13
Friday, September 5, 2008 at 3:07 PM

When I edit my pages, and especially my Home page i don't have a preview page to check how it looks before it's published. I just wonder, if classmates are logged in, are they seeing my pages changing as I try to adjust the layout?
Is there a preview button/link I'm not aware of? If not could we please have one?

Friday, September 5, 2008 at 8:27 PM - Response #1

Yes they would be seeing your page as you change it.

Unfortunately for the moment this is not in the works. This came up previously, and I ran it past the programmers, and what you're really doing when you save a page is changing a live database. A system that saves everything to a different preview area is apparently quite an undertaking. We may revisit the issue, but there's so many important things to accomplish currently that it's not on the radar screen.

Your editor is visual so you can have a pretty good approximation of what your content will look like once published. But if you are concerned about Classmates seeing changes that have not been finalized, I suggest you deactivate the page temporarily while you are working on it. Then activate it only when you are happy with it. The process for this would be:

1) View the page you want to edit and bookmark it.
2) Deactivate your page by unchecking it in the edit area.
3) Click edit and make your changes. Save.
4) View the page from your bookmark. It's still there even though you've deactivated it -- there's simply no link to it on your site while it's deactivated thus nobody could possibly get to it.
5) Repeat 1 through 4 as many times as necessary.
6) When satisfied activate your page again.

Friday, September 5, 2008 at 8:29 PM - Response #2

By the way, somebody else here just suggested this:

1) Go into edit mode, click source, and copy all code.
2) Go into a non activate Customizable Link and paste the code.
3) Work on all changes using this "dummy page" until everything is perfect. Then copy back to your real page.

This way you wouldn't even have to deactivate a live page at all. And it would also work for your home page content. Yea I know, it's a little clumsy, but it would in fact give you the ability to work on a page that nobody else can see until you're ready.

Friday, September 5, 2008 at 9:23 PM - Response #3

Thanks Brad, Will try those. Have another solution. Do the editing at 3 AM when everybody is sleeping. I'm a night bird so that would work for me!Smile

Friday, September 5, 2008 at 10:47 PM - Response #4

Yeah, I have to agree ... a previewer would be great. I'm a little spoiled by the other two websites I work on (www.freewebs.com/epfknights) and my work, which both have previewers. However, it doesn't prevent you from totally screwing it up, like I did on my home page last night! I was trying to add a senior picture slide show to my home page (it's finally working now), but there must have been some kind of HTML error, because it kept blowing out my page and creating tons of white space. It also erased about 80% of my text! UGH! Evil or Very Mad (Note to self: print or electronically save all your pages!!!) The hard part was trying to figure out all over again what to say on the home page! Rolling Eyes It's not perfect, but it will do for now!

HEY BRAD -- ANY CHANCE YOU AND YOUR TEAM ARE WORKING ON A MODULE FOR YOUTH SPORTS PROGRAMS???Laughing

Edited 09/05/08 10:52 PM
Friday, September 5, 2008 at 11:14 PM - Response #5

We're going to build page history into all editable pages, so you can restore to several previously saved versions.

We are actually going to build a "Class Creatorish" make a social network site for any purpose sometime in 2009. First we have to finish Class Creator, which I consider about half done at this point. There's many months of work ahead of us until this project is done.

Friday, September 5, 2008 at 11:45 PM - Response #6

Michelle, I also have a site on Freewebs but I like this site much better without the ads and with Brad's prompt responses. Don't know how he does it. I suspect there are a few "Brads" answering our posts, what do you think?Wink
Don't know if you've tried this but when I get blow outs without any visible cause, I do what I call a highlight "sweep" that shows up blank spaces, then I put my curser at the end and backspace to clear it. Don't know if you know what I'm talking about because I don't know the techie terms for it, but it works for me.Smile

Saturday, September 6, 2008 at 3:18 AM - Response #7

Hmmmmm. A "Multiple Brad's" theory. I like it. Wonder if that's true or not -- I'll never tell.

Saturday, September 6, 2008 at 11:22 PM - Response #8

Multiple Brad's... Perhaps your new offspring!!!

Saturday, September 6, 2008 at 11:30 PM - Response #9

Colton can't do too much yet, but my 3 year old daughter can click around on Youtube videos, and scroll with the mouse wheel. So look out people. I give her another year until she's here responding in these forums. Smile

Monday, September 15, 2008 at 12:24 AM - Response #10

Brad Switzer wrote:

Hmmmmm. A "Multiple Brad's" theory. I like it. Wonder if that's true or not -- I'll never tell.

Oh great!! Multiple Brads? Does that mean multiple pure maple syrups? Wink Of course, I could up the ante and include some favourite Canadian candy not available in the US! Wink But someone would have to suck up to me really fast since I go back to the States on Tuesday.

Monday, September 15, 2008 at 1:19 AM - Response #11

Us Brads will do whatever is necessary to obtain the syrup and candy.

Monday, September 15, 2008 at 1:48 AM - Response #12

Brad Switzer wrote:

Us Brads will do whatever is necessary to obtain the syrup and candy.

1. Threaded message board
2. Photo Albums
3. Fonts listed as number points instead of by size (aka xxsmall, xsmall, etc.)

Aero Bars...YUMMMM!!! Nice bubbly milk chocolate that melts in your mouth. They're especially enjoyable frozen. Of course, Smarties are MUCH better than M&M's and they're not the "Smarties" you're thinking of - we call those Rockets. How can I forget Crunchie? Mmmmm Mmmmmm MMMMMM! Chocolate covered sponge toffee!

Monday, September 15, 2008 at 2:23 AM - Response #13

You are very good at bribing! Smile

Threaded message boards are coming afer themed templates and new Preferences area. Photo galleries are currently way down the list. Can't change the font thing because the editor component is third party software we've integrated into our system. However, we'll soon be installing the latest and greatest editor. I can't even tell you yet what might have changed, because I have no clue myself. Although I'm sure it has more features, etc.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.