ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Other than Alumni members

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 07/17/08 08:54 PM Views: 1290 Replies: 5
Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 8:54 PM

I've had several requests for access to our site by non-alumni.

These include:

Former Teachers
Parents of Classmates
Classmates that moved before senior year but grew up with everyone the same.
Classmates that were held back but started out with our class.

Would be nice to be able to give access to these people with two levels -- full access and limited access.

Limited access may allow you to browse basic information and message people from the site.

Full access would allow you to do things just like any other alumni ... but not show up in the class list.

I know that some of this is in the works.

Thanks for such a great site!

Dave

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 9:14 PM - Response #1

Personally I like it the way that it is. I don't grant "non-alumni" access and probably wouldn't if I could! It opens up a whole can of worms... can they vote in the surveys/polls? What can they see? What can they do? Does it "play" with the statistics and how many visits have there been to the site...

When a "non-alumni" submits a request for access to the site I check to see if their name is on my master list (spreadsheet in excel). If they're not on the list then they're not alumni and if they're not alumni of that particular year then I explain that this site is for USA High School Class of 2008 only and ask them if they are looking to contact anyone in particular. If they are I offer to forward a message to that person on their behalf which will afford the sought after alumni the opportunity to decide themselves if they want to be contacted.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 9:23 PM - Response #2

I agree with you to a point but for me it's not as black and white.

Most have told me that they are looking to re-connect with people that they went to school with.

We had several change school after our junior year because they moved -- so they had been classmates for 12 of 13 years. They came to other reunions already.

That's just one example where it doesn't seem as clear to me.

That's our situation though..yours may be different.

It'd be a nice option to have..you could use it or not, of course Smile

I understand the concern with privacy which is why I thought have limited access might be a good option as well...

Just an idea Smile

Cheers

Edited 07/17/08 9:28 PM
Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 9:55 PM - Response #3

I don't disagree with you, but in cases like you have described I have left it up to the committee chairperson to make the call. Then I merely add them as a classmate and we move on from there.

Different things work for different people. Options are never a bad thing!

Friday, July 18, 2008 at 2:12 AM - Response #4

Agree with all said above. Different things work for different people. We are going to allow an option for Administrators to create non Classmate accounts (i.e. member's name will not show up on Class List). This will allow teachers, principals, etc. to participate. Creating a non Classmate account will be something each Administrator can decide to do, or not to do. For those who wish to do it, an option for this is coming. Like you'll probably hear me say many times in these forums, hundreds of enhancements and feature requests on the table, and we're working hard every day to get to them all.

Friday, July 18, 2008 at 7:02 PM - Response #5

Dave Kauffman wrote:

I've had several requests for access to our site by non-alumni.

These include:

Former Teachers
Parents of Classmates
Classmates that moved before senior year but grew up with everyone the same.
Classmates that were held back but started out with our class.

Would be nice to be able to give access to these people with two levels -- full access and limited access.

Dave

Dave,

You can choose who you want to include on your classmate list. For example I have included all Class of 88' alumni even if they did not get to officially graduate with our class. That means if they were intended to graduate with the class grew up with the class went to school with the class and for some reason or the other such as moved away, graduated early, joined the military, had to go to independent studies, etc. they are still considered Class of 88'. We still had over 530 official graduates that year and those that want to join the class and are on the official register that I got from our district office are allowed to join the website if they make the request. It is your website you can decide who is your classmate and who is not.

As far as those occasional "guests" such as a teacher, parent, etc. I have made a classmate with the name of "Alumni Guest" with a generic email address and password and that is the one that I use to give out to those people that want to go and see the website. This gives you the option of changing the password at any time and preventing them from having access when you so choose.

Until Brad makes the ability for teachers to have access you can do the same thing for a teacher. You can list them in the classmate list with their name and under maiden name put something like "Science Teacher" or "History Teacher" this allows the teacher to interact with the classmates.

Tracy

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.