ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

emails - how long for delivery {max?}

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/07/11 10:51 AM Views: 1077 Replies: 1
Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I have read several posts regarding email problems, but most seem to be 'specific' problems relating to the OS, the recepients server, etc.

My question is:

What is the maximum time we should wait before being 'concerned' about emails not being delivered?

Additional information - In the past, I have received the email within 5 or 10 minutes. Today is the first time I have experienced a delay in receiving them. I receive email for myself as well as another classmate who is in a nursing home.
Another classmate I spoke with in another city has not received the 'class wide' email I sent out at app. 9:00 CDST.
Ordinarily I would not be too concerned, but the class wide email repates to a classmates Mother passing away.

Thanks,
Steve

Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 11:23 AM - Response #1

Hi Steve,

I wish I had a perfect answer for that but the truth is there are so many variables that affect email delivery. Just to name a few there are internal queues on this end and receiving queues on all of the mail servers that the emails are going to. We have internal queues because some receiving mail servers will only accept a certain number of messages at a time and therefore messages to those providers may take longer than messages to other providers who allow you to send as many messages as you have available for their system. On the 4th and 5th we were receiving delayed delivery notices from some major providers who stated in their notices/warnings that they had their own internal delivery delays lasting x number of hours. This was likely caused by a considerable amount of 4th of July well wishes and retail sales emails. I'm not seeing as many of those notices since the 5th so I'm assuming much of their email traffic from the holiday emails has cleared up.

I would give it just a little bit longer. The queues on our end from this morning had pretty heavy traffic but they are all flowing through pretty fast now so anything pending should be wrapped up shortly.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.