ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Not getting only some New Classmate Notifications

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/20/10 01:33 PM Views: 1763 Replies: 12
Monday, December 20, 2010 at 1:33 PM

We now have 107 members signed up, but I've gotten only 97 New Classmate Notifications. I understand not getting one for myself and my wife (a Classmate, too). But that leaves 8 that I did not get notifications for. Most of them signed on but did not fill out their Profiles -- only the "Details" part (most of which had already been filled in by us). That is, they simply joined with email and password. But, even then, shouldn't we have gotten a New Classmate Notification?

Then there's at least one who signed on that way (and we did not get notification) and then later filled out her profile. And then, too, we did not get the notification. That's understandable if we had gotten one when she signed on.

So, questions are: is this the way it's supposed to be? Am I missing something? Is there a way to get notifications of new classmates even if they have not yet filled out their profiles?

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 1:38 PM - Response #1

Anyone designated as an Admin would not have been required to be verified. Also, is it possbile that a few may have joined and then you turned on the verification feature? I can't imagine any other reasons why anyone else wouldn't have had this verification notification.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 1:49 PM - Response #2

I turned on the verification feature at the beginning (late October) and started to get Notifications immediately. It seems to be random, other than that those that I've checked did not add anything to their profiles when they first joined the site. The most recent one was this morning: 2 new classmates joined, but we admins got notifications for only one. The other one had not filled out any profile answers, only her email and address. Maybe this helps: she had been on our missing classmates list until today. I'm not sure how she found out about the site. (I'm going to ask her.) Perhaps she Googled herself -- or another classmate put her email in the box on the homepage. She lives in Indonesia. But the others all live in the US.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 2:33 PM - Response #3

I have always gotten new classmate notifications no matter what was filled out until recently. I did have one I did not receive. She joined on 12-11-10 and I found her on about 12-17 when she updated her profile. The other admins did not receive notice either. That was about the time that CC was updating the sites, and, although I did not check the date, I assumed she slipped through the cracks somehow during an update. Neither did I receive a notice of her name change. We do not officially verify.

Just an FYI....Have a great day!

Margaret

Edited 12/20/10 2:35 PM
Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 11:43 AM - Response #4

There's a small chance this pertains to the recent updates. It something tried to email out right as the system was coming down or something like that it's possible something got trapped. There were about 5 days of significant updates and all are done now, so I'll be particularly interested if this happens to either of you again. I suspect it won't. If it does though please respond here and we'll set up a quick test to determine if the email is going out or not. Will only take about 5 minutes to set it up but for the moment I'm assuming it won't be necessary.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 at 7:01 PM - Response #5

Sounds like a plan. I will let you know if it happens again!

Thanks...Margaret

Monday, December 27, 2010 at 10:32 AM - Response #6

My name is Greg Smith. My site is kendrick1971.com. I noticed this problem for one joining classmate several day ago. This morning it happened again. There is a verification notice on my site home page, but no email was received.

Thanks,
Greg

Monday, December 27, 2010 at 10:49 AM - Response #7

Greg - Give it a couple hours. If it still does not come through, please let me know here. Also, please take a look at your junk/spam folder to be sure it didn't get delivered there. Let us know what you find.

Monday, December 27, 2010 at 5:15 PM - Response #8

Scott, It still hasn't shown up. However, I discovered that the email address the classmate put on their potential profile doesn't work. I don't know if this affects the problem or not. I have another classmate that joined and their email has never worked, but I still received the verification email. All junk/spam folders are clear. Thanks for your earlier fast response.

Monday, December 27, 2010 at 11:16 PM - Response #9

I can tell you that 99% of the time intermittent delivery of email is directly caused by the email provider, usually to some type of higher level spam filtering going on outside of your control. We have a test that will demonstrate this or find other email delivery problems:

1) Go to www.ClassCreator.com and click the on the FAQs link
2) Click the Questions About Email heading
3) Read Question #5

This may sound complex but it's really not, you can set up the test in about 10 minutes. Basically we have you set up a free gmail account and add it as one of your alternate email addresses. If a notice shows up at your gmail box but not your regular box you know you've got a provider problem. By forwarding your copy of the the gmail email to your provider they can usually fix the problem or lift any blocks they have on your email account.

The last 10 or so in a row of these have all turned out to be provider problems. Unfortunately spam filtering sometimes blocks real emails and people don't even realize it's happening. This test proves it and tells you how to solve it.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 at 10:19 AM - Response #10

Brad, I sent two emails to my primary email address from my site. The first was an email to the class with only me as the recipient. The second was using the missing classmates function. Both were received instantly. The noreply address is in my safe list. There were no site emails in my junk/spam. Everything appears to work as it should. It may be best if I just wait for another classmate to request to join and see if there is a problem then. However, if you want me to check or test anything, I will. Thanks for the help, Greg.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 at 10:46 AM - Response #11

Like Brad said, the one thing you can do is set up a free gmail account as an alternate email address for your profile. The next time you suspect that your @q.com email address didn't receive an email that should have been delivered, you can then check the gmail account to see if it was received there. If it was, this second email can be helpful if you have to present documentation to your email service provider about emails that are not being delivered. Additionally, if you figure out that you should have received an email due to someone joining the site, and you do not, this helps us to determine that we may need to dig a little deeper on our end to see if there is a delivery issue here. We can say, however, that 99% of the time, intermittent delivery of email is directly caused by the email provider.

This will be helpful. Thanks!

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 at 11:06 AM - Response #12

Scott / Brad, I have an alternate account set-up. I will keep an eye on what happens. Thanks for all your assistance.
Happy New Year!
Greg

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.