ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Is there a way to upload a pdf file?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 05/11/09 02:21 PM Views: 3602 Replies: 22
Monday, May 11, 2009 at 2:21 PM

I'd like to upload some programs and stuff from HS. Is there a way to link them in a format other than a jpg?

Thanks, Ann

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 2:58 PM - Response #1

Yes. While in your editor on any page, click the chain link icon. Browse your local drive to upload your PDF. When you press the "Insert" button a link to your PDF file will automatically be created for you.

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 3:07 PM - Response #2

Thanks, Brad. I'll give it a whirl.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 at 9:13 AM - Response #3

Is there a limit to the size pdf file that can be uploaded using these instructions?
Betsy

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 at 12:55 PM - Response #4

There is no per file limit. You can upload any size PDF file you want. The only limit we have on file uploads is that all files as a whole are within your File Vault limit.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 at 12:59 PM - Response #5

I thought I would try to add my yearbook file (a pdf file that is about 278,000 MB) directly into the editor (under Yearbook beta), but it just processes and processes, and after a very long time of processing, I finally hit escape to stop it. I hate the way the Issuu format looks, but my file in pdf format looks great! I'm I trying to do something it won't let me do because of the size of the file?

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 at 1:33 PM - Response #6

I'm sure you mean 278,000KB, not 278,000MB. Still, that file is about 278 megabytes. In other words it's absolutely huge. Not only will it take an extremely long time to upload that file, it will also take an extremly long time to download that file. Just a guess, on a typical Internet connection it might take 20 minutes to download that file. Generally uploading to the system is slower than downloading too, so it may take around a half an hour just to upload that 1 file. Are you waiting long enough? Even if it goes you're going to wipe out your file space. Each page of your PDF is a gigantic image scan, and that takes up a ton of space. That's what's causing the huge upload and download times.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 at 1:36 PM - Response #7

I'm just not finding a good solution to uploading my yearbook. Can you look at my site, under Yearbook (beta) and let me know what you think? I uploaded it in several sections using Issuu. A couple of people have said it's hard to look at, not clear, can't read, etc.

Thanks... Betsy

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 at 1:53 PM - Response #8

First, make sure your Classmates are clicking on your Issu yearbook and viewing it in full screen mode. If anyone is viewing it directly on your web page itself it's obviously way too small.

Although I think generally the yearbok looks pretty good in full screen mode, I am having trouble reading the text. Is that text perfectly clear on your original scans? I think every Issue yearbook I've ever seen is more readable than yours. This would typically be due to not having a really sharp image scan in the first place, and/or the type in the yearbook itself is very tiny. Or both.

Where does this leave you? I'm afraid I'm not really sure...

Issu: Issue is a problem because the page isn't razor sharp, the text is small, and in many cases unreadable...

PDF: Your PDF yearbook is gigantic, and will take so long to download many Classmates might give up. If you do upload it to File Vault and make it available for download, you'll clearly want to include instructions telling your Classmates they'll need to wait quite some time for the PDF download to complete.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 at 1:55 PM - Response #9

Oh by the way, if set up right you can start reading a PDF file on screen even before the whole file has downloaded. If you want to pop it on CD and send it over here, I'd be happy to put it on the server for you. Then you'd just need to provide your Classmates a link.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009 at 1:59 PM - Response #10

That sounds like a workable solution (putting on CD and sending it to you). What I don't understand is that the pages I scanned and uploaded individually under the original Yearbook Photos link look great, much better than those in the pdf file. Oh well...

I really appreciate your help with all this. It will be after the reunion, but I would like to send you a CD containing the pdf file of the yearbook.

Thanks so much!
Betsy

Saturday, August 8, 2009 at 3:00 PM - Response #11

It would be nice to have the ability to add more pages and increase file storage. My 200 page yearbook scanned on pdf is too bigSad Love the site by the way and hope to continue to see upgrades and inprovements. I see chat is coming, anything else in the works that you can talk about

Saturday, August 8, 2009 at 3:39 PM - Response #12

How many megs is your PDF file?

Integrated Live Chat, Instant Messaging, Community Photo Galleries, and 478 other things both small and large are coming. As a result of all the ideas and recommendations contributed through these forums you might say we're a little backlogged. Smile

Saturday, August 8, 2009 at 8:31 PM - Response #13

Its 58.6mb

Cant wait for the new features. Really pleased with the site.

Saturday, August 8, 2009 at 8:49 PM - Response #14

That's not really so bad considering it's an entire yearbook. Each page of a yearbook, since it's a full page bitmap scan, takes up considerable room. Still, you've got plenty of space for that file in your File Vault. You are currently at only 8% of your total capacity. You should be able to upload your yearbook and still have space for hundreds of additional photos, etc.

Saturday, August 8, 2009 at 8:50 PM - Response #15

ok, ill try again

Saturday, August 8, 2009 at 8:59 PM - Response #16

I know when I tried before I waited an hour for it and still was i guess uploading. I uploaded to another site where I have my personal website (tucows) and it uploads in just a few minutes. Should i just keep trying?

Saturday, August 8, 2009 at 10:29 PM - Response #17

It just wont go...waited 1/2 an hour and nothing.

Saturday, August 8, 2009 at 10:59 PM - Response #18

Hmmmmmm. It should go. So, I'm not sure why it's not going at the moment. Let me ask you this though: If you put it on another server, why not call it right from that location? Where the file is physically hosted shouldn't make any difference.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 1:39 PM - Response #19

Brad,

I've been experiencing a similar problem trying to load PDFs to the file vault.

Anything up to around 9MB seems to load in 5-10 minutes, anything above that takes so long I've been giving up after - in the case of the most recent 11MB file - an hour and a half with no success. As there's no progress meter it's impossible to know whether anything will load eventually. The file vault's telling me I have around 70% capacity available. I've removed images from the PDFs to make them smaller. Is there anything else I can do?

The page I've been trying to load to is a Survey page I've utilised for something else and called The Cheynean.
Thanks.

Edited 10/20/09 1:42 PM
Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 5:11 PM - Response #20

I'm on the road at the moment so for now I'm going to ask you to email the file to brad@classcreator.com and I'll pop it directly in your File Vault for you.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 5:42 PM - Response #21

That's good of you, Brad. I'll do that. Thank you kindly.

What should I do if it happens again?

In the meantime, get off of that road! It's dangerous!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 6:06 PM - Response #22

If it happens again let me know. I sent in a request to Programming to determine why large file uploads are freezing.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.