ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Photos on pages sideways?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/09/19 10:21 AM Views: 3830 Replies: 10
Monday, December 9, 2019 at 10:21 AM

I can't find a thread with this topic, maybe I missed it.
I am uploading photos from a reunion, some are uploading horizontly rather than vertically (if you know what I mean)and I don't know how to adjust it so they upload to the page correctly. I found where you can resize them, but not change the image to vertical?

Monday, December 9, 2019 at 10:42 AM - Response #1

Not sure if this will help, but are you uploading the photos from a hard drive on your computer? If so, are all the photos on your hard drive vertical before you upload them?

Edited 12/09/19 7:28 PM
Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 6:06 PM - Response #2

I had the same thing happen to me from a previous reunion. I found it easier to put all pictures on my computer in the picture folder, then edit, resize and / or rotate each photo as needed from there. Then, upload to classcreator.

It was a little trial and error and a bit time consuming if you have lots of pics; but well worth it to allow everyone to share their photos with the entire class!

Good luck!

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 10:42 PM - Response #3

Search for "Photo Orientation". It is an old old issue and due to missing code in CC upload. Here's what I wrote before (2016):

This is code lacking on CC that does not recognize meta data (Exif) when it is saved on CC. That's the information in a file that described how the photo was taken. So if you tilt a camera (or phone) not only is there dimension data but also how to 'rotate' the image for proper display.

When one 'saves' as described using a local program (like Paint), the dimensions are redone so a older program (lacking the proper code) will display as intended.

On Windows 10, you can "fix" it in Preview and just rotate it back and forth. That fixes it too. There are several ways to preview on Windows, not sure if all of them work.

Here's a link with details LINK

The fix is to add the code to 'decode' the information on CC. (This has been noted several times over the years).

Edited 12/10/19 10:48 PM
Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 10:55 PM - Response #4

The bottom line here is that digital cameras add information in the digital photo about how the camera was being held. Many photo handling programs, browsers, email clients, etc, use that information to correctly display photos, but Class Creator's upload does not look for or interpret that information - and may even remove that information as they compact uploaded photos to save space - then displaying the raw photos without taking into consideration how the camera was being held.

Jack explained it quite well - over 3 years ago {HERE}, and the problem still exists now just as it did then.

So, for now, what Kelley suggests is one of several similar options we have to 'fix' the problem by 'correcting' the photos before uploading. Annoying, not a big deal for a photo or two, but a really labor intensive chore when you're dealing with a couple hundred (or more) photos.

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 11:04 PM - Response #5

I found a neat little program that tells you all about what is inside an image AND fixes rotation.

Description of Exif program

This is the download LINK

Has enough options to be confusing Smile

Look for the "rotate" stuff. Looks like it is a very fast way to fix rotation. You can see them ALL at once in a browse panel. Loads very very fast.

Edited 12/10/19 11:08 PM
Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 1:07 PM - Response #6

To Admin Administrator, I have always rotated and edited photos prior to uploading as others have mentioned.

Jack, I believe a new photo editor was installed since 2016. It may have been earlier this year. We'll see what CC says.

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 1:48 PM - Response #7

New photo editor was installed, then removed when it didn't work (CC stated that software was "gone"), then it got restored in pieces - not really working and sort of works now. Still has occasional quirks - I think when server gets loaded - no response.

However, as everyone notices, it is Extremely slow if you have many to do. I think we all agree it is much much faster to do it on one's system before uploading. The Exif program I linked to makes it very easy to do. Amazing how fast it loads images.

The real solution is to fix the uploading code - but that's a problem because it's not their code Smile Could bug them. All they need to do is leave the orientation Exif orientation data in the image (and adjust any dimension data).

CC should make a sticky topic explaining this or add a little blurb when uploading. Said that before Cool

Saturday, June 13, 2020 at 2:17 PM - Response #8

Since migration, photos taken with iPhones/iPads and edited on our computers to be right side up...even renamed after the edits...still appear in the wrong direction when posted onto the website. This was an issue years ago and CC came up with a fix. We were doing just fine until the recent migration. I am getting requests for help to straighten photos out from classmates updating their photos on their pages, but, I , too am having the same issue. HELP, please!

Tuesday, August 10, 2021 at 9:54 AM - Response #9

Had to search around but found it under Transform and was able to rotate the pictures. I know this is an old post but the others might need the answer now, like me.

Friday, September 16, 2022 at 1:29 PM - Response #10

And like me ... thank you!
I found the TRANSFORM option for adjusting pictures ...
but you couldn't see any options for ROTATION. There were four blank buttons. I clicked the first blank button and it was the rotation button.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.