ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Granularity of Admin Access

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 04/18/13 02:31 PM Views: 4960 Replies: 9
Thursday, April 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM

In planning for our upcoming 55th several committees have been formed. I'm going to give the chair of each one access to the Reunion Planner since data relative to their individual areas of responsibility will developed once we go live and classmates start registering.

I'd sure like to be able to be able to control access to each function, ie EDIT, ATTENDEES, FUNDS, NAMETAGS, REPORTS, DELETE, separately and generally keep them away from areas where changes can be made. Not because I'm concerned that any of them would make changes maliciously but rather to guard against inadvertent modifications. One inadvertent tap of the DELETE option might be interesting.

I appreciate that this may not be easy to do but recommend it for your consideration whenever you might be making changes to the Reunion Planner.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM - Response #1

Thanks FC. We will discuss this suggestion while planning our next iteration of the RP.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 11:44 AM - Response #2

In looking through the available features again I found what I thought might be an answer to my concern. On the Details page of a classmates account there is the option "Grant Admin Access." Within that, under "Admin Features" there is a selection "Reunion Reports."

When I granted that access alone to my test classmate, Ima and logged on using her credentials the "Admin Functions" banner was in the left hand column but with nothing beneath it. It didn't seem logical to me but in the off chance that this might be a restriction to this area alone if I granted access to the Reunion Planner I tried that. Now Reunion Planner alone showed up under "Admin Functions." But as I originally surmised access to all features of the Reunion Planner had been granted.

Question: What is the intended functionality of "Reunion Reports?"

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 1:04 PM - Response #3

In testing this I found the following. This does not seem to be functioning correctly and I will be sending this on to the programmer. Here is how it should work: 1. If I try to give someone access to the Reunion Reports, but have not given them access to the Reunion Planner, a pop up should notify you that you need to give that co-admin access to the Reunion Planner in the admin links area. 2. If I give permissions for the Reunion Planner link, but do not grant access to the Reunion Reports, the reports should not be displaying for that admin. I'll let you know what happens next.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 1:42 PM - Response #4

Thanks for passing this along.

I understand what you're saying but I'd think it should work along the lines just the opposite of your supposition. That is grant access to the reports only and withhold those functions that allow changes to be made.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM - Response #5

FC - Okay, you can now assign rights to an admin to view the reunion reports, but do not need to grand them access to the Reunion Planner for them to access the reports. Feel free to test out the new functionality.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM - Response #6

Scott - I'll give it a try and let you know how it works out.

Perfect! Couldn't be better. Thanks.

Fred

Edited 05/02/13 11:53 AM
Friday, April 27, 2018 at 5:08 PM - Response #7

The same entry I made above regarding the Reunion Planner now applies to the Event Planner. Unless I'm missing something the granularity does not exist relative to the Quick Links on the Event Planner dashboard. I think it should.

Quick Links

Preview Live Page
Edit This Event
Funds
Transactions
Manage Payment Preferences
Register a Classmate
Reports (beta)
Nametags (beta)

Edited 04/27/18 5:08 PM
Monday, April 30, 2018 at 4:13 PM - Response #8

It does not. The admin either has access to all of the Event Planner or nothing at all. We made the decision to not add that level of complexity to the programming of the Event Planner.

Monday, April 30, 2018 at 4:40 PM - Response #9

That's really unfortunate as reunions are typically planned by committees with each member having different functions.

Giving complete access to persons not intimately familiar with the Event Planner presents too many opportunities for inadvertent deletions. Accordingly, I wouldn't want anyone other than the root administrator to be able to access the either the Event Planner page or the dashboard. However, giving the treasurer access to transactions, register a classmate and reports and other committee members access at least the reports would be extremely helpful.

Granted, even in this scenario the treasurer would be able to make deletions on an individual transaction but there is just one person that need be instructed to exercise caution and the damage would be somewhat limited.

However, it appears I have no other choice than to accept the risk.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.