ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Re-vamping after 5 years

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/28/15 07:44 PM Views: 1509 Replies: 12
Monday, December 28, 2015 at 7:44 PM

Hi Guys,
Hope you all had a beautiful Christmas and are planning a safe New Year.
I have an idea but need help to be innovative. Therefore I knew I needed YOUR help (all of you). In order to keep fresh interest in the website, I thought, after 5 years, a new look might not only be appropriate, but also necessay. For the rest of this week I'll remove the 'password' to get into the site so anyone may look and give me advice on this post. I know Kyle, and all the administrators on CC can get in, but I thought some of you others might like to help also. I'll be available at most all hours to discuss it with you...and you, and you.
Barbara
P.S. I JUST MESSED UP. TRIED TO REMOVE PASSWORD AND COULDN'T FIND HOW TO DO IT. WHAT DO I DO ??
BE

Edited 12/28/15 7:59 PM
Tuesday, December 29, 2015 at 11:36 AM - Response #1

Hi Barbara,

Looks like you have it figured out. You just needed to remove the check box for logged in only for each page you wanted public.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 at 3:34 PM - Response #2

Actually, Jessica, I haven't. Where on each page is the check box for logged in only? Thank you for your help.
Barbara
[/i]

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 at 3:49 PM - Response #3

Edit Site Pages,
Mouse over the pages you want to be public, click EDIT LINK and then choose to remove the check mark on "Restrict to Classmates Only"
Save the changes if necessary

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 at 6:17 PM - Response #4

Thanks, Kyle,
In all the years I've had the website, I've never used the "edit link". Had no reason to. Do you think I might get help re-vampoing? You know, just an idea might help.
Barbara

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 12:43 AM - Response #6
ElvisPlaylist.txt

Here's something to update your site and remove some links that no longer work - a more complete Elvis Playlist.

Paste the contents of the attached file on a page and you'll get 145 or so Elvis Videos. Edit them as desired.

This can reduce the file load times and bandwidth for YouTube videos and makes a page more compact.

It's possible to separate and rearrange into sections using the JVideo player I posted just now in this TOPIC LINK

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 3:44 AM - Response #7

Hi Jack. I created a sub menu under "1966 History/Videos" called "Elvis Playlist". I then copied the text from ElvisPlaylist.txt onto that page. What more must I do in order to get this to play on our website http://www.dhs-class-of-1966.com/?

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 9:15 AM - Response #8

Thank you Jack. Good idea. We were all into Elvis in those days, and it was a girls school. I have to be particularly careful because when we all graduated in June 1963, the world soon drastically changed.
I use to use the template for the 1960's on the site. But because JFK is notably on it I changed my mind. He wasn't assassinated until November and we were graduated by then.We were mostly all from Brooklyn. As such, I think I'll keep that video of "Remembering Brooklyn"
But you think it would be better on the home page, itself? Rather than just a link to find it? Thank you for the innovation you've suggested.
Barbara

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 12:38 PM - Response #9

The text data in the file I attached has to be pasted in editor SOURCE mode, not visual HTML mode - just like the CC music player.

Click the Editor's top left "Source" icon. Delete what's there first (CTRL+A and then press the DEL key).

Now CTRL+A (select All) in the text I attached, then CTRL+C (copy). In the CC Editor place the cursor and press CTRL+V (paste)

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 1:13 PM - Response #10

Barbara, the video width is made for a subpage. If you put it on the home page, Vwidth has to be reduced to around 450 and Vheight 300 (experiment to see how those look). That's if you put the code inside an "announcement". Straight home page probably around 480.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 5:33 PM - Response #11

[i]Thanks, Jack.
I've been gone all day. I will do this momentarily. I think I'll set it to 450 on the home page, just to be sure. If something goes awry, I'll just put them on an Elvis page.BTW, if you look into "edit site pages", I put quite a few pages. I value you judgement. Do you think, just as a novelty, I should condence, change or remove permanently, some of those links which I set up for different times of the year? Remember, we're all 70ish, with old fashioned humor at our disposal with a little sarcasm stirred in (that comes from graduating from a B'klyn high school). Other than that, we're normal.
Barbara
/i]

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 6:00 PM - Response #12

Judgement is like asking me when an avocado is ready to eat Smile Is it the color or the feel?

Rough ideas:

A basic guide to links is to have them all show up in one page (on a PC size screen).

The second basic 'guide' is to keep a pages content less than four pages. If a page exceeds 3, break it up into sublinks. That also helps load a page faster and for certain much easier to edit and maintain.

Novelty sounds like a good fit for your class.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.