ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Recent Problems with Server

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/05/15 01:23 PM Views: 3731 Replies: 76
Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 1:23 PM

I would like to discuss my concerns about the recent problems Class Creator had with their server. First of all I want to clearly state that having a website running perfectly all of the time is nearly impossible and I totally understand that many issues are beyond the control of the owner of the website. The fact that the website was not running properly for 24-48 hours, while uncomfortable, is not something that would cause us undue alarm. My concerns revolve around Class Creator's contingency plans and having full transparency if more serious problems took place (i.e. are there backups to all of our information that we could access, what if the server company went out of business, what if your company went out of business). For each of us the information you have on your website, could be critical to the success of our event.

Thank you for all you do and I hope my question is not out-of-line.

Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 4:35 PM - Response #1

We've had our site up for nearly six years and this is the first major connectivity glitch. Class Creator will have to weigh in on contingency plans, but I believe they are robust. In my opinion, Class Creator does an incredible job of keeping things rolling along smoothly. I'm grateful this small company offers us the opportunity to bring our classmates, faculty, and relatives of classmates together for such a reasonable price.

Friday, March 6, 2015 at 8:35 AM - Response #2

I agree that ClassCreator does a great job creating and maintaining a wonderful product, and up until now seemingly flawless operations. I also agree that this episode does point to the need for stronger contingency planning and change control. I also think that ClassCreator should improve communications during episodes like this. Administrators need to be warned that there is an outage ... or service problem ... and given some expectation as to when the issues will be resolved. Also that they are resolved ... eg, I think the latest problem has been resolved, but no one has told me. This hit us at an unfortunate time, the peak of our registration, when we have 40-60 people connected on a given day. It's difficult to communicate to all what's going on.

Friday, March 6, 2015 at 9:17 AM - Response #3

Art,

We have automated on and off site backups every two hours. If ClassCreator went out of business, you would not have access to your data, but we are not going out of business.

Don,

There was an email sent around to every admin saying that the servers were going to go down at Midnight.
The latest problem has been resolved.

Friday, March 6, 2015 at 10:44 AM - Response #4

Thank you for your response. The only reason I even mentioned what would happen if Class Creator went out of business was merely a continuation of my inquiry into the company's contingency plans.

I am happy to hear that the company does a site backup every two hours. It wasn't clear to me whether those backups were done by the server company or whether they would be available to you if the server company went out of business.

Friday, March 6, 2015 at 1:11 PM - Response #5

Kyle ... Yes, a message did go out about the servers going down at midnight, but my recollection is that issues were still present early on 3/5. In fact , I talked to Scott yesterday AM about it. I'm not sure at what time the issues were really resolved. It would be really good if a confirming email was sent out letting us know everything was OK.

Friday, March 6, 2015 at 1:37 PM - Response #6

I did receive an email. Maybe your email hasn't arrived or ended up in your spam folder. I have heard from other admins that they also got a confirmation email that everything is OK again.

Friday, March 6, 2015 at 2:00 PM - Response #7
image.jpg

I guess it maybe it sounds like I'm being difficult, or maybe careless ... but I can assure you that the "all clear" email is not in my junk folder and that I haven't received it by any other means. I Also seem to having trouble with "email the class". I sent a test email OK, but when I emailed the class, I'm told it went out ... but it hasn't been received by either me or other classmates. I'll attach the send confirmation. These issues are occurring at peak time of our registration ... and we're also using Event Planner, which isn't 100% yet, particularly with reporting to transaction analysis ... so I'm a little sensitive to these issues.

Friday, March 6, 2015 at 2:27 PM - Response #8

OK ... Emails are spewing out now. Was there a logjam of some kind? My email to class arrived fully 4.5 hrs after I sent it ... compared to minutes yesterday. Anyway ... thanks to whoever "kicked 'em" loose.

Friday, March 6, 2015 at 3:06 PM - Response #9

"thanks to whoever "kicked 'em" loose" ... we kicked that server while we were kicking the others as well!

Friday, March 6, 2015 at 4:46 PM - Response #10

The 2 day connectivity issue was highly unusual. We've never seen anything like it. It took some highly trained IT experts to track it down and solve it. Fortunately this type of thing is incredibly rare. We've been doing this for years and have never seen anything quite like that.

All info above is correct, but to add a little further info:

1) All of our code files exist locally, at the host, and at Jungledisk. Thus these files are backed up daily in triplicate.

2) Our database resides at the host (live copy), a backup copy is made on site locally, and an off-site backup is made daily at Mozy Pro. Thus the database also exists in triplicate.

To wipe out all 3 copies of either of these things would take some sort of major national disaster. We are very well prepared to deal with any issues of file corruption or data loss. Even the live files are hosted on RAIDS across multiple drives and thus have a built in redundancy. When one drive goes bad (and they do sometimes because they're hit so hard constantly) they just pull out one drive and swap in another. The data that existed on that drive is then immediately replenished.

Thanks for the question -- it is quite in line.. After this bizarre IT issue it's probably good to add a little reassurance. Although IT issues happen and they're going to happen again in the future (it even happens to the big guys sometimes), everything is and will continue to be fine.

Friday, March 6, 2015 at 5:07 PM - Response #11

During your problem window I was usually able to get back in after the error screen just by refreshing my IE. But another admin using Chrome didn't have such luck. She's still got a problem with Chrome now - her bookmark for our CC site doesn't work any more and she has to type the URL to get in. Was the connectivity problem browser specific, impacting some more than others? Any suggestions for her using Chrome?

Friday, March 6, 2015 at 5:14 PM - Response #12

To Art & Don.
You two worry too much.
CC has the best customer service in the world..will not be going out of business...matter of a fact..I think they are expanding. I think Brad can chime in on that.

If you ever worked in IT (I did for over 40 yrs)..these outages happen....ALL THE TIME...some are worse than others..some you never know about. Connectivity issues happens to all websites...even the giant ones.

All the admins get email notifications...I know I get my email from my website late or never..my other admins may get them...and they have to forward them to me...but that has to do with my email provider not CC and the way my email from the site gets forwarded to another email program.

So you newbies..have nothing to worry about.Very HappyWink

Friday, March 6, 2015 at 5:15 PM - Response #13

Maybe she just needs to clear her cookies...are any other Chrome users having a problem?QuestionQuestion
Mary Smith - SPHSAA President & Alumni Records wrote:

During your problem window I was usually able to get back in after the error screen just by refreshing my IE. But another admin using Chrome didn't have such luck. She's still got a problem with Chrome now - her bookmark for our CC site doesn't work any more and she has to type the URL to get in. Was the connectivity problem browser specific, impacting some more than others? Any suggestions for her using Chrome?

Friday, March 6, 2015 at 5:16 PM - Response #14

Maybe she just needs to clear her cookies...are any other Chrome users having a problem?QuestionQuestion

Friday, March 6, 2015 at 5:17 PM - Response #15

No, this was not browser specific.

People can have various cache settings and in some rare cases a provider will cache a page. Solutions to the problem are:

1) Just click refresh on the browser. This usually solves most problems alone.

2) If 1 fails, clear your browser cache. This will solve 99% of any potential caching problems.

3) If both 1 and 2 fail, unplug your router for a minute and then plug it back in. This is rarely necessary but if a provider is holding onto a cached page, this will clear it.

Friday, March 6, 2015 at 5:21 PM - Response #16

Thanks Darlene. Smile

When any "weird IT stuff" (I'm not an IT guy so this is how it seems to me too) happens I can totally appreciate any concern.

No matter how rare or how severe a problem may be, eventually I know the people we depend on that run all of this will solve any problems. Up until this issue our up time had been 99.9%. That number becomes pretty meaningless as soon as there's a problem though.

We are quite stable and have some terrific experts at our disposal. Now that this is behind us maybe I can get back to where we're going next. But, that's a big secret. Smile

Webmaster Darlene wrote:

To Art & Don.
You two worry too much.
CC has the best customer service in the world..will not be going out of business...matter of a fact..I think they are expanding. I think Brad can chime in on that.

If you ever worked in IT (I did for over 40 yrs)..these outages happen....ALL THE TIME...some are worse than others..some you never know about. Connectivity issues happens to all websites...even the giant ones.

All the admins get email notifications...I know I get my email from my website late or never..my other admins may get them...and they have to forward them to me...but that has to do with my email provider not CC and the way my email from the site gets forwarded to another email program.

So you newbies..have nothing to worry about.Very HappyWink

Friday, March 6, 2015 at 5:55 PM - Response #17

BRAD Now you can get some sleep Wink

Friday, March 6, 2015 at 11:30 PM - Response #18

Thank you Brad for your detailed explanation and transparency in providing us with all of that information about your backups and contingency plans. As I said in my original e-mail I have great confidence in you and your company, but as a life-long auditor, my training influences me to ask the questions that others may think, but never ask...or as one my favorite politicians so aptly put it, "Trust but Verify".

Edited 03/06/15 11:31 PM
Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 4:46 PM - Response #19

Thank you, everyone. I enjoyed following this conversation immensely; and I sincerely feel similarly that I learned from it.
Barbara

Edited 03/08/15 5:41 PM
Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 1:50 PM - Response #20

Right before CC went offline last week, I was able to cut/paste an alert to classmates. Receiving CC email was reassuring. Our website has many newly registered classmates. Beginning late Sunday evening, March 8, through early evening yesterday, March 9, our website was down - depending when a classmate logged on, access was spotty. Today, things do appear back to normal for accessing our website. Yesterday I tried sending CC an email but I couldn't access CC site. Was there another problem yesterday? Our statistics show a pattern for some who log in the same time each day - we usually have 40 to 50+ classmates logging on daily. Early thru mid yesterday, few could log on. Was this a system-wide problem?
After the recent problems with the server, What!s New loads and stops loading abruptly. What's New was loading fine until recent problems with the server. I'd like to know if yesterday there were problems with the server and why What's New doesn't load like it used to. Thank you.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 4:11 PM - Response #21

Elana, I'm not seeing any problem with your What's New page. The dynamic loading is what it has always done. i.e., if you scroll down to the end of the page, more content will then load in. If you scroll to the end of that batch of content, the more will load in. And so forth and so on. Normally people never get to the bottom before the next batch has loaded (we trigger load 2 and beyond when you're scrolled down about half way through the first batch of content). However, if you just scroll to the bottom really fast and skip everything, then you can see the dynamic content loading in down there. I suspect that's what you're doing. Previously I doubt you were doing this because you were actually reading the content on the page.

The connectivity issue we experienced was fully resolved about an hour prior to my sending a system wide email notice of resolution. In some cases people needed to click refresh on their web browser or clear their cache. All is working fine and we don't expect any further issues.

As bad timing would have it, the very next day Enom (where classnames.net runs through) had a DNS issue, which temporarily disrupted some traffic for people who purchased domain names through Classnames.net. Other registrars were not affected. Believe it or not, as I understand it this issue occurred at Enom due to some sort of response and action being taken by ISIS in the middle of the night. Whatever happened sporadically disrupted DNS for some domestic customers for several hours until they got that issue sorted out. We do use Classnames.net as an Enom registrar, but this issue was solely with the registrar and had nothing to do with the connectivity issue we resolved the day before.

Edited 03/10/15 4:13 PM
Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 6:45 PM - Response #22

Thanks for responding, Brad.
Our domain name is through classmates.net. While I do realize in the IT world, things happen. I wonder when CC was aware sites purchased thru classmates were affected yesterday. On my end, yesterday I could not contact CC: CC server couldn't be located (or similar verbiage). Like last week's emails to everyone, it would be reassuring knowing there's an interruption with problems with the server. Moving forward, please strongly consider sending an email alert. Admin will know if they did or did not go through classmates for domain name (for example).
As for What's New, other than checking accuracy of what I post, I scroll. What's New works fine on PC - my profession takes me far from PC access - on iPad & iphone What's New cuts out after a few minutes of loading new pages. Earlier today, I scrolled again and after loading a few times, there was a message: Loading is Complete. I'm a big supporter of What's New - how long do items remain on What's New? Early today I was looking to check an early February comment - lack of loading What's New prevents reading posts earlier than early Feb 2015. My question: when will ClassCreator be as compatible on IPad/iPhone as it is on a PC. I appreciate CC transparency - for me, I truly depend on fast access internet access from remote locations via iPad/iPhone. Thank you,

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 2:16 PM - Response #23

Very good questions!

Enom (classnames.net): Although we refer people to eNom because it was easy for us to integrate their registrar into our setup, we're not them. We have no way of knowing if they are having any DNS issues (it's very rare). Alerts would really need to come from them directly to the contact information you provided to them at the time of domain registration. By the time we even found out eNom was having a DNS issue, we were also told the problem was nearly solved, which it was. We actually have no way of emailing only those Admins who have domains through eNom anyway. The system has no awareness of who the underlying domain registrar is.

Let me make sure I'm clear: On your iPad right now, if you click refresh on the What's New page, you're not seeing the page function properly. Is that correct? Can you clear your iPad browser cache and reload just to be sure? Please tell me exactly what happens when you reload the page.

You can drill back in time on What's New through to inception. i.e. data lasts forever. At least it does currently anyway. I can see at some point putting in some type of limit but that's not the case as of now.

Mobile compatibility: This is the first time I've mentioned it, but we have a little secret project going on here currently. Smile We currently call it the "Super Template" but I'm sure we'll come up with a better name. Honestly, it's crazy complex. But the good news is, when it launches this summer, you'll have the option of moving to our new "responsive design" that will work perfectly on all devices and in all orientations. It's seriously cool. I have already been "playing with" the initial drafts of the system now. I should say for the record though, just because the new Super Template will be fully responsive and 100% mobile device compatible, that doesn't mean the content that you put inside the Super Template will be. There will be some education and training videos required so Admins who are interested in this know how to keep their own user-contributed content responsive as well. That's ok -- you'll be able to do it -- but it does up the ante a bit on the skills required to maintain your web site should you chose to move to the Super Template. Not much though -- I don't anticipate most having issues with it.

Again, this is a significant project and won't be debuting until summer. As always, we'll have announcements and training when the feature becomes available.

Edited 03/11/15 11:44 PM
Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 4:44 PM - Response #24

"Let me make sure I'm clear: On your iPad right now, if you click refresh on the What's New page, you're not seeing the page function properly. Is that correct? Can you clear your iPad browser cache and reload just to be sure? Please tell me exactly what happens when you reload the page.

You can drill back in time on What's New through to inception. i.e. data lasts forever. At least it does currently anyway. I can see at some point putting in some type of limit but that's not the case as of now."

iPad/iPhone both refreshed. Re: What's New: on both devices I'm seeing "Loading more" - it took 47 minutes to "Load more" which is an eternity. Currently, I'm able to scroll through March 10. It takes a very long time to "Load more" - eventually, website cuts out. time permitting, waiting for "Loading more", I can scroll back to mid Feb 2015.
We have new classmates joining - unless they're in front of a PC, they can't scroll back on devices and neither can I. My devices only cut off using ClassCreator. Other sites packed with info scroll seamlessly and fast.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 11:11 PM - Response #25

Other classmates are reporting this as well you're saying, correct?

At the moment I'm at a loss. On my iPad tonight your What's New page (first batch) loaded in about 7 seconds. I scrolled down through additional batches of data and chose to stop at March 7th. Everything was still working fine at that point.

I have a standard iPad 3, which is typical of what most people would have. Considering I cannot replicate the problem, normally I'd start looking at your iPad itself. That's why I'm first wanting to verify you have others that can duplicate this problem.

What iPad version do you have? How much RAM do you have on it? Are you using the default Safari browser, or some other third party iPad browser? Have you changed any of your iPad security settings, or browser settings or security settings?

The fact you're reporting a 47 minute load time makes me lean toward your iPad itself more than anything. That load time is impossible. Well, clearly it's possible -- but technically it can't be a system problem. No possible query we have could last anywhere near that long. I'm getting 7 seconds, you're getting 47 minutes. I can only think something is not right on that iPad or browser.

Do you know how to clear your iPad browser cache? Please wipe out the cache and load the page again. Maybe some weird caching issue is happening on that particular device.

Sorry if this sounds like I'm shooting darts. But that's precisely what I'm doing at this point.

Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 10:03 AM - Response #26

Brad,
Twice or more daily, I clear safari history & clear cookies/data. I use both iPad2 & air. I cannot scroll back beyond early Feb. Both devices cut out after scrolling thru early Feb.
BTW: last night website was offline temporarily. After maintenance I could access,. link for classmate profiles newly incorporates another link: '65 Angels. I'm mentioning because it now seems scrolling What's New is now much faster - thank your programmer or whoever did this. But I'd really like the option to scroll What's New beyond Feb w/out device cutting out. When you can, try to.scroll beyond Feb on your iPad. Much appreciated, elena

Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 11:33 AM - Response #27

What iPad version do you have? How much RAM do you have on it? Are you using the default Safari browser, or some other third party iPad browser? Have you changed any of your iPad security settings, or browser settings or security settings?

I'm not experiencing any issues scrolling down to February on my iPad 3.

Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 1:38 PM - Response #28

Brad - what you describe doesn't remotely apply to my devices. What's New is currently offline for maintenance. Hoping programmer(s) are tweaking ability to access What's New before Feb 2015. Today at 1:15pm are stats are very very high.

Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 9:25 PM - Response #29

Are you using the default browser (Safari) on your iPad, or something else? Let's start there.

Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 9:33 PM - Response #30

Safari, Brad.

Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 10:55 PM - Response #31

Great. What version of Safari? Have you changed any of the default Safari settings?

Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 11:38 PM - Response #32

Am traveling - iPad2 is in my office - think ios: 7.1.2 (did not upgrade ios to 8 or higher on advice from our IT). No changes made to devault.

Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 11:40 PM - Response #33

Have two iPads - never use iPad Air to access CC

Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 11:54 PM - Response #34

My co Admin has iPad Air - iOS 8.1.1 - default same as me. She has the same scrolling problem as me re: What's New.

Friday, March 13, 2015 at 10:11 AM - Response #35

What's New is offline for maintenance. We usually have sev'l classmates logging on every Friday. Can you please give me an estimate time when What's New will be back online. Thanks, Elena

Edited 03/13/15 10:14 AM
Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 8:24 PM - Response #36

I went in and scrolled all the way back to mid February as well.

Although I can do it, I often see the blue background, then the iPad has to load in the surrounding framework. It works, but it's "less than a smooth" experience, for lack of a better word.

I suspect this has to do with the way this template is designed, and how the iPad displays it. It's showing the site background color first, followed by then loading in any repeating background images (as is the case on the themed template you are using).

There are two things that could help with this down the road:

1) iPad may update how their browser display is working. Faster iPad processor and/or RAM may also help with this, but I'm not sure. No other device I've seen displays it quite this way, so I'm hoping this will get smoother over time as Apple releases software updates. Again the whole thing does load in for me and I can read and use everything. I just wish the overall experience was a little cleaner.

2) Our "Super Template" coming out this summer is a whole different design approach. It has much lighter code and is literally code made to work perfectly with all devices, browsers, and resolutions. I'm going to guess that the Super Template itself will be more agreeable to the iPad Safari browser.

If Apple updates don't make this any better by Summer, it will probably be a good bet for you to switch to the Super Template when it becomes available. No doubt it will also work better on the iPhone as well.

Sunday, March 15, 2015 at 8:25 AM - Response #37

Thanks for looking into this, Brad. Having strong connectivity through devices makes
the most sense. I'll be watching for Apple news and your rollout later this year. Most of my classmates exclusively use iPads - few use PC.

Sunday, April 5, 2015 at 11:57 AM - Response #38

Brad,
Our 50th is 6 months. We have new users and our classmates' enthusiastic posts "sell" our reunion.
Most of my classmates access our website by iPad & iPhone.
I do appreciate you scrolled back to Feb. Currently, scrolling back only goes to March. New registered classmates are missing all the pre-March positive posts. Even I can't read pre-March. While you mention this is an Apple complication & that ClassCreator hopes to roll out something new for iPad/iPhone sometime this summer, my classmates should be able to scroll back to read comments from when we launched our website.
We have comments, both happy & sad that cannot be read, along with some hilarious classmates' memories. PR sells reunion attendance. Is there anything your programmers can do so our classmates can scroll back anywhere on iPad to read whatever they choose? At 6 months out, it's vitally important for classmates to read whatever they choose. Any help you provide right now is greatly appreciated.

Sunday, April 5, 2015 at 12:36 PM - Response #39

As of April 5, accessing What's New on iPad goes to March 21 - with a message at the bottom of the iPad screen: ALL ACTIVITY IS LOADED.
What happened to "What's New" earlier comments?

Sunday, April 5, 2015 at 12:54 PM - Response #40

On my iPad the comments in What's New go back to December 8th. I delete the Rewind every day to possibly save room. What does determine how far back What's New goes on an iPad---the length and number of posts?

Sunday, April 5, 2015 at 1:17 PM - Response #41

Thank you! I, too, delete Rewind daily. It's really a shame for new classmates not to be able read NY Times headline, that our city, Philadelphia, is named #4 of the 52 Places to visit in 2015. That headline was posted in January, pinned to the top with great comments.
Hoping ClassCreator programmers remedy this problem. I'm a registered user on another active website containing hundreds of comments which are easy to read by scrolling back on my iPad.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 1:35 AM - Response #42

All looks good here.

Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 5:40 PM - Response #43
image.jpg

Our website wasn't sending notification emails for at least a week. Today, accessing our website is 'hit or miss'. Attempting to reply to a classmate's post is challenging - there's an error message.
I'm not exactly sure the meaning: "things look fine here." If that refers to scrolling back on an iPad/iPhone, nothing has changed - I can scroll back to March. Moving back to read What's New cuts out abruptly. This has been the trend for several months. Are your Programers capable to fix this problem?

Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 8:11 PM - Response #44

Can you clear your ipad cache and reload? On my iPad I'm scrolling past March just fine. Let me know if you're still encountering this after a cache clear. On your computer it's working properly for you, correct?

Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 12:27 PM - Response #45

Our website is down again for "temporary maintenance.". I cannot reply to your message because I cannot access our website.
When we joined July 29, 2014, being "offline due to temporary maintenance" was a rarity. Of late, not being able to access our website due to: temporary maintenance, server problems and disruption not receiving email notifications is causing chaos for my classmates - 3 big issues. We have new classmates who tried to join our website today and they cannot join. It's a folly to expect classmates to try to access our website multiple times and learn our website cannot be accessed. Our 50th Reunion is in 6 months - I chose to use and purchased a 3-year ClassCreator ad-free plan because of your reputation for providing easy access. As Root Admin, my Committee holds me accountable when classmates cannot access our website or when new members want to join, and cannot due to ClassCreator IT problems. You have a good product, Brad. Transparency for Admins is crucial, When will our website be able to be accessed? Thank you.

Monday, April 13, 2015 at 12:48 PM - Response #46

We are experiencing a traffic load issue that is effecting only some Class Creator users and it is intermittent. Waiting a minute and reloading the page typically gets the user past the problem. We are aware of the issue and working with out IT department to resolve the issues.

Monday, April 13, 2015 at 6:56 PM - Response #47

Just read this post. I did not receive any notice about an outage or any problems. In addition, I am getting frequent "Web Page Not Available" responses when opening the website and within the website.

I just posted a message to the forum about this, and it took two times through "Web Page Not Available" to get to the forum and three more times to actually get the posting saved.

We are 53 days from our 50th Reunion with a ton of activity on the website and we have come to depend on the website.

Monday, April 13, 2015 at 6:58 PM - Response #48

Thanks, Scott. Please let us know when this is resolved. Yesterday, our website was offline 4 hours and accessing still remains intermittent. Appreciate reading your message. have tried & failed to comment - hope you receive this.

Monday, April 13, 2015 at 7:44 PM - Response #49

We're having a local pre-50th Reunion gathering on April 21, 2015 - the musical guest is a seriously ill classmate undergoing chemo - his prognosis is grim and playing his guitar for us has him 'pumped.' Local classmates are relying on our website to read more April 21st event details. My Committee is scattered across the country - we might consider phoning classmates about our special local event.
Since Saturday evening, I am not receiving any CC forum messages. Accessing our website still remains 'hit or miss.' I fear continually posting there's another problem with our website will be received with skepticism. Please let me know when to expect this latest IT situation will be resolved. Thank you. (3rd attempt to post)

Monday, April 13, 2015 at 9:34 PM - Response #50

New related issue. One of my active announcements on the home page disappeared. The announcement was present but the text was gone. When I went to edit, the announcement was still present but had no content.

Deleted the announcement and created a new one.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 12:12 PM - Response #51

In regards to the server issues, there has not been a time when we have been completely down for more than a few minutes. In fact, 90% of the time, hitting the refresh button in the browser when you come across the server connection issue page will get you back to the site. We are down at the moment because we are resetting some services on the server and should be back up momentarily. I'm afraid that our efforts right now are only leading to more extensive upgrades later this week that will be a more permanent solution. We are still weighing our options and working hard to keep the system up and running as well as possible. Thank you all for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience.

One other note. For anyone who is making a lot of changes at the moment, you might be wise to copy / paste your content into a Notepad document on your local computer prior to saving. I have had other reports when folks go to save and they hit the server connectivity issue and they lose their content. If you copy and paste it locally, you won't lose all of your hard work.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 1:00 PM - Response #52

4th attempt to post:
Thanks, Scott . Today, our website is still offline after 90 minutes. Since early Sunday AM, haven't received any email notifications. When will email notifications resume & when will my website be accessible? Thank you.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 1:00 PM - Response #53

4th attempt to post:
Thanks, Scott . Today, our website is still offline after 90 minutes. Since early Sunday AM, haven't received any email notifications. When will email notifications resume & when will my website be accessible? Thank you.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 4:48 PM - Response #54

Notifications are being sent out daily. I can confirm they are working as I received 5 from 5 different sites today. Again, with accessing your site specifically. If you see the Cannot Connect to Server page, you need to click the back button and the the link to your site again. Hitting Refresh on the browser may also result in landing on the site. However, if you are seeing a message that says Site Temporarily Unavailable for Maintenance, that is different. You would need to unplug your cable modem for 60 seconds and then clear the cache in your browser and go back to your site. I just looked at your site and it is up. Actually, I also confirmed that one of the messages I received in my daily notifications, is also from your site. We are still working hard on resolving the issue, weighing our options and trying to keep the system up and running as well as possible. Thank you all for your patience and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 6:00 PM - Response #55

I'm monitoring remotely. As I was logging on to reply, I received "off line for temp maintenace" - i logged back on a few minutes later & was able to (hopefully) make a connection. How much longer will there be a sporadic "offline for maintenance" message? Please let me know. Thank you.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 6:06 PM - Response #56

I too am experiencing problems logging in. I had a complaint from a classmate about 2 days ago who said she couldn't find the website. That was resolved (I went to the website first thing this morning and had no problems and neither did she), but now I have tried to log on to our website and I get the message that I can't connect to the server. I've tried both Firefox and Safari. I also tried to contact your support page from the menu top on your website and I got the same message. Are you folks having issues?? What should I tell my classmate members?
Thanks for the help.
Nancy Asbury
Spartan66.com

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 6:33 PM - Response #57

As you know, we're having problems accessing our website and getting email notifications. Scott, thanks for your help and for keeping us up to date.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 7:06 PM - Response #58

"Again, with accessing your site specifically. If you see the Cannot Connect to Server page, you need to click the back button and the the link to your site again. Hitting Refresh on the browser may also result in landing on the site. However, if you are seeing a message that says Site Temporarily Unavailable for Maintenance, that is different. You would need to unplug your cable modem for 60 seconds and then clear the cache in your browser and go back to your site"

I'm very concerned - compared with the past 4 days, today our Stats are low- 3 hours pass & then a flurry of activity. While I appreciate your tips, after last Thursday/Friday lack of website accessibility, as an Admin, I'm really concerned alerting classmates our website has another problem. Thanks, Scott, for your tips - much appreciated. (I'm monitoring remotely from my iPhone)

Edited 04/14/15 7:09 PM
Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 11:05 PM - Response #59

Am I doing something wrong. I updated our homepage and checked the box to notify classmates and hit the send button.
How long does it take to be sent through, I sent the first one at 5:30 this evening and again about half hr ago, but still it hasn't gone through.
Any ideas or suggestion.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 8:53 AM - Response #60

During all this IT stuff I sent out like 3 or 4 In Memory's and I never received the email. Can you tell if the emails were sent? Also, can you tell the latest entries into "In Memory?

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 12:11 PM - Response #61

I have not seen any disruption in email notifications being sent that was caused by this connection issue. If you have messages that you need to be sure your members receive, please use the Email The Class feature. Further testing on the notifications can happen once we are over our current server challenges. I did receive the 5 expected notifications from sites I subscribe to, this morning.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 5:35 PM - Response #62

Thank you to Brad and his team for sending ONGOING CONNECTIVITY UPDATE. I have emailed the class with CC wording. Please let us know the official maintenance window time once you have it. My classmates will appreciate knowing this in advance. Greatly appreciate receiving CC Connectivity statement.

Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 9:02 AM - Response #64

Since last night thru right now, no email notifications are being sent. What's going on? Please advise

Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 1:53 PM - Response #66

Early last night, I emailed the class CC's tips for logging on. My Committee hasn't received any email notifications since Saturday - which means most classmates didn't receive Scott's logging on instructions. Can tech support please let us know when email notification will resume? Thank you

Edited 04/16/15 2:16 PM
Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 6:33 PM - Response #67

I wrote a couple days ago on this forum site about problems we are having connecting and have read the chain of problems posted by other users with some responses from Class Creator staff. One user referred to a communication from staff written by Brad and his team called ONGOING CONNECTIVITY UPDATE. Could I be sent this communication by email please? I expect other webmaster might also like to know what's happening.
I continue to have some connection issues with your website itself and I'd like to clarify the problems and solutions for my classmates who have joined but would like to have better instructions to pass on to them than what I could create myself.
Thank you.

Friday, April 17, 2015 at 12:26 AM - Response #68

"An ongoing connectivity issue is affecting some Class Creator web sites. The IT folks in the Data Center are aware of the issue and working on it now.

Should you experience a connection problem:

Simply click refresh on your browser. This is usually all that is necessary and your page will load.
If a refresh doesn't work, try clearing your browser cache. This is usually not necessary but will work.
We understand the permanent fix for this issue will require replacement of some hardware in the Data Center. This upcoming hardware replacement will require several hours of system down time, but will occur in the middle of the night to cause as little disruption as possible.

We apologize for any inconvenience, and will send another email with the official maintenance window time once we have it."

Edited 04/17/15 1:52 AM
Friday, April 17, 2015 at 1:03 PM - Response #69

Elena, as a test member of your site, I did receive your message to the class and thought it was well written and very help, I'm sure, for your members.

Monday, May 4, 2015 at 11:25 PM - Response #70

Thanks, Scott.
Some classmates, including me, are receiving "offline for temp maintenance". This began last Thurs/Friday. The message is intermittent - I rebooted modem - still receive same message intermittent. And I do clear cache. Please indicate if "offline for temp maintenance" is a valid CC message.
On another topic: I'm not receiving daily birthday notifications. I do check our Homepage to find that info.
You're very patient and I appreciate your help. Thank you.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 12:35 PM - Response #71

Since I know we have not needed to post the Site Temporarily Down For Maintenance notice recently, I would say that this page is cached in their browser history and/or their internet modem. Start by clearing the browsers histroy / cache. Then unplug the modem for 60 seconds. After plugging back in, I would finish with a reboot of the computer for good measure. That should solve the issue.

For birthday notifications, be sure that you are subscribed to the profiles for all those you wish to receive this notification.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at 6:33 PM - Response #73

Thanks, Scott. Magically the temporary message disappeared. I am subscribed to all profiles for birthday notification. While I am receiving advance birthday notification 7 days in advance, I'm no longer receiving notification the day before or on the date of any classmate's actual birthday. Has notification been changed?

Thursday, May 7, 2015 at 1:55 PM - Response #75

No change to the notification. I did find out that Notify Me did not run properly yesterday. Messages resumed today.

Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 12:35 PM - Response #76

Today, classmates are not receiving any email notification. Can tech support please look into this - it's affecting classmates not logging on. We had amazing Stats yesterday due to email notification.
Please let me know what's going on. Thank you

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.