ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Password Ransom

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/25/21 04:46 PM Views: 308 Replies: 3
Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 4:46 PM

One of my members called me and told me they had received an email demanding a bitcoin payment for her password ransom. Unfortunately she deleted the email from her current mail and trash.

Has anyone else had such a report? What did you do about it?

Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 7:25 PM - Response #1

Hi Woody,

Let the classmate know the notice is a scam. There were sites like Experian that were breached over the years that had user passwords. The scammers just scan those lists for passwords and make the users feel like they have something over them when the reality is they just tapped into a breached list.

All the classmate needs to do is not use that password anywhere. Almost all sites have a password reset link. On our system the sign-in page has login and password box with a Forgot Password link under it. Most sites would have a similar option on their login pages.

Have them reset any passwords they are concerned about and make sure they know the emails are a scam. There are thousands of entries if you run a search on Google that will explain this scam has been out there in various forms.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Friday, March 26, 2021 at 6:34 AM - Response #2

Thank you. How would the scammer know to that the member accessed our Class Creator web site? They mentioned it by name.

Friday, March 26, 2021 at 10:28 AM - Response #3

Are you certain it was Class Creator? I've heard of another class site system mentioned but never ours. Did they delete they deleted items folder in email? If not they might still have access to it. If they have a way to send me a copy from deleted items have them forward it to info@classcreator.com. if not, ask them to forward it before deleting it if they see another one.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.